Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #29

If your comparing the 5.4 to diesel.. Well I guess there's no argument about the engines. But all in all it tows just fine.
My "things" may increase in the camper but the capacity and payload have plenty of room. The next trailer will likely be smaller because I will have a daughter leaving for college, so we will be down to four. I won't be looking for a new trailer anytime soon as this one is only a year old. Still feeling good about my decision!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Chris View Post
If your comparing the 5.4 to diesel.. Well I guess there's no argument about the engines. But all in all it tows just fine.
My "things" may increase in the camper but the capacity and payload have plenty of room. The next trailer will likely be smaller because I will have a daughter leaving for college, so we will be down to four. I won't be looking for a new trailer anytime soon as this one is only a year old. Still feeling good about my decision!
Congrats on figuring out a way to stop your kids from growing. I tried to stop feeding mine but he just kept passing out when he was doing the yard work.

Congrats on the new truck as well.I hope it works for you.

FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
Something doesn't seem right here. Folks ard talking about shifting in and out of gear and down shifting. Look at my sig. I have.some issues but NEVER hang a tranny jump around on me. Are you folks driving without over drive? Sounds like most of you are towing in over drive. I tried it once years ago and the tranny did just what most of you describe. I personally wouldn't tow with a 5.4 either. My pop has one and it does suck. But, you stated you have no issues with your expedition then why worry about it? Like someone posted, plan for the future. You will most likely gain the need to tow more as you camp so think big now. I want to add a golf cart in the bed of mg truck so pick up only for me. And possibly a small boat on a ladder rack...
The other vehicles that are spoken of have either the 5R110W transmission or 6R80 transmissions. They are a different trans that is in your truck (4R75W). Your trans can handle some light towing in 4th gear but in many high load cases OD should be canceled. A good indicator of this is if the transmission is downshifting a lot. Better to leave it in 3rd than to be shifting back and forth a lot. Especially the 4R75W. The other transmissions can handle the shifting better to the nature of the design but if they shift a lot and have the option of no OD, then they should use it.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #32

Go with the gas engine and save a lot of dollars. Ford diesels before 2010 have had lots of problems and it is reflected in their lower resale value. When I was looking in 2011 for a used diesel truck it surprised me that a 2008 Ford diesel with 35-50K miles was selling for $5k less than a comparable (mileage and trim and options) GM truck. After doing more research on the problems with the Powerstroke engine I understand the difference.

Diesel is great for pulling up a grade and for control going down a step grade with it greater engine braking ability and often an exhaust brake as well. But it comes with a higher purchase cost, higher maintenance cost, much much higher repair costs, and diesel sell for as much as premium gas in most places to the more miles per gallon does not translate into more mile per dollar.

The 4.10 gears will provide optimum towing with the gas engine and keep it in its max power band at highway speeds. I would want a truck with the "tow package" as that will provide maximum engine and transmission cooling capacity and often a higher output alternator as well.