Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #1

Gas vs diesel F250

Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade my TV which current is a 2007 expedition with HD tow package. Today I went and looked at a 2006 F250 diesel FX4 with 71000 miles crew cab and tomorrow am looking at a F250 lariat with a 5.4 triton V8 which is a 2008 with 56,000. My TT is a keystone hideout with a gvwr of 7850. Would a diesel be an overkill just for towing a TT or would the 5.4 not be any better then what I already have. Oh, the axle ratio are diesel 3:73 and V8 4:10. I feel like the diesel would be a better fit but I worry about the cost of possible repairs etc being a little older. More importantly I got the DW to see the positives of a diesel and is on board..... But do I need it????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #2

Also we would not be driving it everyday. Sometimes it could go a few days with out moving which I hear is not good for diesels. Also, I do realize that the payload and tow cap is higher with the lariat vs the Expy and obviously the diesel is higher then both. Man, see, the more I thing about it maybe the gasser is better for what I need! I don't know....struggling! Help!!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
more info needed - where will u being towing ? mountains - flat lands - 20 miles or 2000 miles ?!? will it be a tow only vehicle ?

Deezle will be a lot higher maintenance (oil change $150 versus $39 for gas ???)

using a wd - sway control hitch ?

on edit - ah - u r up late too
(or real early !)

Letting a diesel sit for a while is not an issue, I work from home, so mine sits a LOT...

do a google search for your tt's REAL weight (not dry) and for each of the trucks rear axle weight rating and gvwr to see if they can handle it...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #4

It will also be a family vehicle for going around town. We camp within 1-3 hrs from our house but have limited it to that due to gas mileage and the fact that I know I'm close or at my max payload with the Expy. It is hilly were I live but mountains.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #5

I do have the 1200 # dual cam round bar set up also. The dry weight is 6250 which I know is meaningless, I have the 7850 total max loaded weight.. The gvwr I believe.... Oh and I work nights
Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #6

I had diesel and gas v10 trucks from ford. I prefered the v10 quieter, smoother and gas is more available than diesel in the boonies. The 5.4 would struggle with the 7800lb tt
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #7

I have not seen any v10s at all so not even option so far. I don't mind the noise of the diesel at all. The 5.4 being stressed even in a 250 is what I'm afraid of!! The rawr for both is 6200 since it was brought up prior. Thanks for the feed back. Keep it coming!!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Don't even think about a 5.4L V8 gasser in a SuperDuty for towing more than a rowboat. If you prefer a gasser, or can't afford a diesel, then go with the V10 gasser.

The 5.4L is okay in a properly-equipped F-150, but it's simply too light in the britches for a Superduty towing machine.

2010 5.4L with 4.10 ratio has a GCWR of 18,000. V-10 with 4.10 adds 3,000 pounds more GCWR. Diesel with 3.73 adds another 2,000 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Don't even think about a 5.4L V8 gasser in a SuperDuty for towing more than a rowboat. If you prefer a gasser, or can't afford a diesel, then go with the V10 gasser.

The 5.4L is okay in a properly-equipped F-150, but it's simply too light in the britches for a Superduty towing machine.

2010 5.4L with 4.10 ratio has a GCWR of 18,000. V-10 with 4.10 adds 3,000 pounds more GCWR. Diesel with 3.73 adds another 2,000 pounds.

Agreed. I think the 5.4 would get the job done but it will be complaining the entire time. They are good in a F150 chassis but larger they tend to work very hard. I would also look for a V10 truck.

The other F250 with the 6.0L would likely be your best out of the bunch. If it is going to be an everyday driver vehicle, expect periodic EGR cleanings. Everyday driving does not generate enough heat to cook off the coking. The 2006 should also have the updated STC bracket off the high pressure pump so that is a good thing. Regular coolant flushes will help to prevent oil cooler clogging from the cooling system and damaging the EGR cooler. There are some that install cooling system filters and I have heard they work very well. From my understanding this is the norm on large diesels.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

The 5.4 litre gasser is an reliable but weak engine. It simply does not breath like the newer engines. If I were looking for a gas engine I would look 1st for the V10. My second choice would be the 6.0 litre in a Chevy 2500.

I have towed with gas and now diesel. The diesel engine just tows so much better. It seems like there is a lot less noise and revving for the diesel. I guess it is more torque that makes the diesel engine worth the extra $$$.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
1) I think the 2006 F-250 has the 6.0L diesel. Know what you're buying before you consider that motor. It has some flaws in stock form that can be very expensive to fix. It's a motor that you'll need to stay on top of and you'll typically need to run additives in the diesel. It's Ford's *least* reliable diesel in years. It's fine if you stay on top of it and maintain it correctly, but if not, you're in for a lot of money.

2) I've owned the 5.4L. It's fine in a heavy F-150 (4x4, large cab). It's weak for an F-250 chassis. I wouldn't tow more than about 5000lbs with it for long distances.

3) The V10 is great, but it does use gas. It's also a lot less expensive than a diesel and more power than a 5.4L. If looking at the V10 - consider the models with a 5-speed transmission, which I think was sometime around 2004/2005. You'll want the 5-speed.

I don't have comments on Chevrolet, because I don't know them.

The other truck that I'd consider is a modern 5.7L Tundra. It's got a great 5.7L motor, 381hp, great brakes, rated to about 10.5k lbs properly equipped...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #12

Ok so after reading all these comments, I'm feeling like the 5.4 250 will work. We normally do not camp more then hour away, no mountains, only camp 1-2 times a month and living near Buffalo/ Rochester NY only get about 3-4 months of camping a year. I have a 5.4 in the Expy and never had any problems with power, although it will be on a heavier frame. The dealer also gives a life time warranty on the engine minus a 100 deductible. The diesel was also at a dealer and has only the basic lemon law warranty in NYS and is a "value vehicle" at 25,000 dollars. Does anyone object???
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #13

It is really up to you. If you think the 5.4 will be ok for your needs, the proceed. Look to see if the dealer will allow you to hook up your trailer to it and see how it does. If it feels ok to you or what you expect, then you have the answer you need.

BTW the 5.4 is a very reliable engine. However, because it is a 3V with variable cam timing, the base oil pressures are higher than other engines. Because of this, use Motorcraft oil filters only. Ford has a bulleten out about aftermarket oil filters breaking apart and releasing the paper into the oiling system. I have repaired several engines due to this and found the filter material in them. This is not a Ford covered repair or likely any warranty repair with the exception of the oil filter manufacture if you can get them to pay for it.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chris, how heavy is what you're pulling?

Inclusionary warranties... Well, read the fine print. And google the warranty company. I'd be shocked if it was worth the paper it was printed on.

I dunno what you're spending on the 5.4L, but at $25k (which I'd never spend on a 6.0L diesel) you can buy a used Tundra that will tow and stop better than either vehicle.