Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
6mm

Thanks Guys,
For all the info it was good to hear before I dump a pile of money on a new truck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #16

Another point of view.....

We bought a smaller camper trailer type RV when we retired. 26 footer around 6000 lbs loaded. We love it and it allows us to do what we wanted. Maybe we'll get something bigger if we decide to stay put longer but who knows at this time. Anyway, we bought a 2500 RAM CTD and it does pull our trailer like nuthin's back there. Total beast. That being said... I am not happy w the DEF, frequent, expensive fuel filter changes, jumpy hard shifting, and long slow warmups in the winter which are a part of diesel engines. There are other issues such as the extra $7K, or so, the diesel option sets you back at the get go that you should factor in before you make the change. I think if you are towing anything over 4 tons or so and not just occasionally ..... you will appreciate a diesel for sure. Otherwise? you just might not be so happy after you make the change.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #17

A couple of fringe benefits with a diesel:

You can replace the existing fuel tank with a larger one, or add an in bed tank. It's *awesome* to have the extended range and not have to worry about finding the next fuel station every few hours.

The ability to fill up at truck stops. The diesel is more expensive, but you don't have to worry about being able to squeeze your rig into fuel pumps designed to fit cars.

And yes, you'll love the diesel. The difference isn't huge when you're on flat terrain, but going uphill is a huge difference. Gas will usually get it done, but the diesel does it better.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #18

Towing with a gasser up an 7% grade with 15k behind you, rpm's at 3500-5000.
Same 15k with a diesel 1500-2000 rpm's. Which one do you think will outlast the other one, and also not even be working hard?
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
Same 15k with a diesel 1500-2000 rpm's. Which one do you think will outlast the other one, and also not even be working hard?
Lower RPMs doesn't always mean it's not working hard, it's just where the engine makes most the torque.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
As stated all of the big 3 make a good truck now... competition is good !

Our 2013 ford makes peak torque @ 1600 rpm's,
so I use the manual setting on our auto tranny to keep the rpm's down !

I like the 'calmness' and hate the drama of upshift/downshift/upshift etc....

I let the turbo pull most of the hills not the gearing

and hear the 2015's make MORE HP & torque...
Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #21

Less Rpm's, less heat and wear on any machinery. The lower rpm engine is working, but not even close to the gas engine pulling the same load. Been in the Diesel industry for 37 years, Cummins tech also. A diesel will out pull a gasser any day of the week, and last 3 times longer doing it.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #22

Pulling the hills is so much nicer in a diesel but no one has mentioned how nice going down the other side is with the exhaust/engine braking on the newer diesels. I've come down some big hills and never had to touch the brakes. So much nicer than my gasser was.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Or 9:1-10:1 compression ratio at a higher RPM vs 17:1 compression ratio plus 20-30LBS of boost. Sure the RPMs can be high on a gasser but think about the load on each rod bearing during each power stroke with the high cylinder pressures. Then that is multiplied when you only have 6 cyl vs 8. Todays gassers are all build extremely well and have seen many very high mileage gassers in in heavy working environments. A lot has to do with how well you take care of your engine.

At the dealer I worked at I seen several 900K mile gasser Econoline 5.4L vans. They hauled freight back and forth from coast to coast. These were all original engines and not ever opened up.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Less Rpm's, less heat and wear on any machinery. The lower rpm engine is working, but not even close to the gas engine pulling the same load. Been in the Diesel industry for 37 years, Cummins tech also. A diesel will out pull a gasser any day of the week, and last 3 times longer doing it.
That is not correct. Diesel has a higher BTU output vs gas. The reason why diesels have huge cooling systems is because they generate a lot of heat and it needs to be extracted.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #25

And all the internal parts are waaay beefier.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #26

Wonder why Semi Trucks don't run gasoline engines. Hmmmm.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Wonder why Semi Trucks don't run gasoline engines. Hmmmm.
it is a simple answer, you get more BTU output from diesel vs gas. Unfortunatley because diesels need to run EGR, it reduces some of the efficiency of running diesel. An engine is just an engine. You have a crank shaft, rods, pistons, block, valves, camshaft, etc.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #28

I've towed with gas and diesel pickups, and the diesel is so much more enjoyable to do so in. My gas pickup had 400 hp, and only 400 ft lbs of torque. Going up long grades it was screeming between 3500-5000 rpms. The higher you go in elevation on a gas engine the less hp you make, unless you have a turbo or blower. My diesel truck will pull the same grade with the same load at 1400-2000 rpms. Elevation is pretty much a none issue. The diesel is much quieter compared to the gasser in the cab. At least mine is. Having a exhaust brake on the diesel is also a huge plus. So in my book, the diesel is more efficient,quieter,has way more torque, and if equipped with a exhaust brake you get better longivity of your service brakes. I hardly use my brakes going down hill. Thats a big plus when towing heavy.

The diesel pickup is designed and made for heavy duty use, hence bigger cooling systems. Ram/ Cummins for instence has a fairly small cooling system compared to say a Ford 6.7, which basically have 2 complete cooling water systems.

Some people will argue the gas/diesel debate forever. Its a personnel preferance, but those who tow full-time like me, will probably choose a diesel.

Diesel engines do cost more, require more maintenance, and parts are more expensive. And when a improperly maintained fuel sysyem go's south on a diesel, its big bucks to repair. Just trying to give the OP the answers, or at least some of them to his original question.

Tags
diesel, gas