Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
When I get in the hilly country my truck shifts and rpms are high to stay at a steady speed,all of which drives me nuts.
This is the defining portion of your question. If what you have is driving you nuts, time to move to a diesel. As far as how it drives, it won't drive you nuts.

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
This is the defining portion of your question. If what you have is driving you nuts, time to move to a diesel. As far as how it drives, it won't drive you nuts.
This is true...

My 2015 F350 CC-DRW with 6.7 Diesel drags my 17k+ toy hauler with nary a whimper... No downshifts, screaming engines or fanfare.. Come up to a hill, you just watch the speed stay locked at 65mph and the boost gauge goes up and then down.. The Exhaust brake kicks in sometimes on the downhill side of things... With 440hp and 860TQ on these new Fords, there is no worries about having enough truck for the job.
Do be aware, however, if you are ordering a new truck, the short beds generally have smaller fuel tanks than the long beds... That has p!$$ed off more than a few people...
Oh, and my fuel economy loaded is about 8.5 MPG, but as I said, she's pretty heavy and tall at almost 13'.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
Wonder why Semi Trucks don't run gasoline engines. Hmmmm.
And you'll never hear anybody say, "I've towed with both gassers and diesels and I think gassers tow better."
Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #32

Hey Big-Foot, that Ford sounds like a beast.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Hey Big-Foot, that Ford sounds like a beast.
Thanks Jammer.. He's the nicest truck this man has ever owned..
Unloaded it's been getting around 18MPG, but he's only got about a thousand miles on him so far and it will take a few more to get fully broken in I think.. Dragging that trailer around is actually good for him!

Old 10-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #34

Nice Rig!
Old 10-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolo2rv View Post
The difference between a gasser and a diesel is the depth of your pockets.

I agree but its more like 1/4 budget
1/4 weight you tow
1/4 where you tow
1/4 how much you want a diesel because everybody
else says that's the only way to tow.

I have a diesel background (truckin') so I know the benefits of diesel and agree its better. But to a certain point a gas truck will get you there just the same just not first. I have a gas dually and would not hesitate to pull a fifth wheel up to about 36-37ft if only going to the beach on the east coast.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Wonder why Semi Trucks don't run gasoline engines. Hmmmm.
Actually they are starting to.... All the manufacturers are offering trucks running on compressed natural gas.

Look around and you'll see class 8 trucks running around with what looks like a sleeper, but isn't, and no tanks hanging off the frame. The big box behind the cab is where the CNG tanks are. Natural gas is becoming so plentiful and burns so clean that it's starting to make more sense to utilize it as a motor fuel.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Actually they are starting to.... All the manufacturers are offering trucks running on compressed natural gas.

Look around and you'll see class 8 trucks running around with what looks like a sleeper, but isn't, and no tanks hanging off the frame. The big box behind the cab is where the CNG tanks are. Natural gas is becoming so plentiful and burns so clean that it's starting to make more sense to utilize it as a motor fuel.
While Natural Gas burns clean, the production and collection of NG is very suspect and the energy companies aren't collecting info or letting it be known. In rural Wyoming areas of natural gas wells are reporting higher Ozone and methane levels. Dallas, Tx has had more Ozone warning days than Houston, a first and attributed to NG production.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #38

Since I haven't seen one running cng tanks, I'm sure it's a very very small percentage of trucks running it.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #39

They're not real noticeable, I kept seeing something outa whack, but it took me a while to figure it out. The companies using them are ones who run regional and have the trucks back in the yard daily. The refueling stations aren't out there to support the OTR rigs as of yet. Dunno if it is a trend that will catch on or not.

Based on running with them from red light to red light, the performance of the CNG trucks is pretty impressive. They're certainly not slouches!
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #40

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
They're not real noticeable, I kept seeing something outa whack, but it took me a while to figure it out. The companies using them are ones who run regional and have the trucks back in the yard daily. The refueling stations aren't out there to support the OTR rigs as of yet. Dunno if it is a trend that will catch on or not.
I believe Pilot/Flying J is installing CNG fueling tanks at their truck stops. I've seen a couple being installed at various truck stops as I've travelled.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #41

Jayco Owners Club
It would sure be nice for the trucks and trains to start using CNG more... You'd be amazed at how much diesel fuel the railroads use. Granted they move a ton of freight for many miles per gallon of fuel... but there are SO MANY tons to move... If the trucking industry and railroads had not exploded in the past couple of decades, our diesel prices would still be less than unleaded... where they used to be. Probably just wishful thinking...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #42

I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Haven't seen one on the road , and I haven't seen or heard anything about them in any of the trucking publications I usually pick up at the truck stops.

Tags
diesel, gas