Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Generator on Front Receiver

I don't even know if this is possible but I'm thinking of carrying a Yamaha 3000 generator using my front receiver on my 1 ton truck. The gen probably weighs in at 260lbs..Receiver is good to 500lbs.

First is anyone doing anything like this?

Besides having to cover the generator to protect it from the elements do you have any suggestions and do you see any other drawbacks?

Right now I'm just thinking about this, and have no time or money in it, so do your worst if you think this is a bad idea. I can take it.

On the other hand, if you think the idea has promise, I'd like to hear that too as I'm also looking for ideas to make this work.
Bug Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a better idea than hanging it off the rear bumper of the RV...the receiver is much stronger than a typical RV "stinky slinky" holder/tube bumper.

Just don't block too much of the airflow to the truck's radiator...and don't block any front license plate. Gotta keep the truck and the Po-Po happy.

Finally, I would check if the platform has any twist/wobble on the receiver that could wear on the parts of the gennie and maybe spill the gas. I had a bike carrier for a receiver hitch that wobbled so bad that one time, it threw a bike off on a bumpy road...bad stuff! I had to a add a plate to shim the receiver - reducing the wobble.

Best of luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
That's a better idea than hanging it off the rear bumper of the RV...the receiver is much stronger than a typical RV "stinky slinky" holder/tube bumper.

Just don't block too much of the airflow to the truck's radiator...and don't block any front license plate. Gotta keep the truck and the Po-Po happy.

Finally, I would check if the platform has any twist/wobble on the receiver that could wear on the parts of the gennie and maybe spill the gas. I had a bike carrier for a receiver hitch that wobbled so bad that one time, it threw a bike off on a bumpy road...bad stuff! I had to a add a plate to shim the receiver - reducing the wobble.

Best of luck.
I hadn't thought about the license plate. I'll keep that in mind.
That wobble you mentioned is a concern I have too. I'll try to get one that fits pretty close in the receiver.
The other part of the puzzle is the platform size. I have been looking for a small one about the size of the base of the Yamaha or a little bigger but haven't had any luck finding anything that is substantial that I would trust to hold the generator. The small platforms seem to have really light capacities. I want it to be stronger than it has to be to compensate for getting bumped up and down while traveling.
Just thinking out loud, maybe I'll look at large winch holders and see if one may fit and make a good platform base.
Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #4

Visit a local welding shop and they can probably build one to your specifications for the base and hight. Don't think it would cost much more than purchasing one that doesn't quite fit.

Could probably drill holes and mount plate to the front of the bracket. Here in Alberta we don't have front plates.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #5

Good idea, after looking around that might be my best bet and just go custom.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

Is this something you are thinking about?
This is what i am planning to add in the future.
A Bodiak front mounted hitch (rated for 5000# trailer weight and 500# tongue weight) and want to carry a rack on it with my Honda 2000 and about 7.5 gallons of fuel. This would be in a aluminum tool box with very few other odds and ends.
Will add with the turnbuckles on it to make it a solid platform.
Hope this helps.
Scott
Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Juice View Post
On the other hand, if you think the idea has promise, I'd like to hear that too as I'm also looking for ideas to make this work.
Forgitabout a front receiver. Instead, get to know the guru at a local blacksmith (welding) shop. Look at the way a RanchHand front bumper guard is attached to the front of the truck, using the brackets where the tow hooks are located. Your blacksmith/welder can fabricate a custom-size hell-for-strong carrier that's just the right size for your generator, and attach it to the font of the truck using the tow hook mounting. Include several tie-down loops on the carrier so you can tie the generator down so it won't be moving around as you drive over bumps and chug holes.

But don't even think about hauling gas cans on the that carrier in the front of the grill. Even a small oops! or fender bender and you'll be soaked in gasoline and becoming toast faster than you can blink. If it were me, I'd even drain or siphon almost all of the gas out of the generator before I mounted it on that front-end carrier.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

This is great. I am getting tips of do's and don'ts from each post.

One thing I never thought about was the gas in front of the bumper area, duh! How did I miss that?

The aluminum box would solve some weather related problems, of course a box half that size would due for my situation. Easy enough to find, I'm sure.

Currently, with the generator in the back of the truck with folding bikes, and all kinds of stuff it's difficult to get the things I need, or want out when I want them, without moving lots of things around. (Main reason to move gen to a permanent mounted position).
I thought about a slide in the bed but shelved that idea cause of cost. This gen mount seems cheaper but I still have my doubts about actually driving with it out front. I like the idea of the gen being in the front of the truck for a couple of reasons.

No moving stuff around to use it.
Puts it far enough away from the trailer so exhaust fume aren't a hazzard. As opposed to moving it to the tailgate from the bed of the truck to use it which puts it 3' from the front of the trailer. This is what I do now.
I know I can unhook most of the time but when on the road and when I have to stop at a rest area in hot weather I'd like to crank up the air and get some rest without unhooking the trailer from the truck so the idea of a front mount solves that problem.

I'm still unsure this is the"best way", or if I'm just over complicating the whole thing.
I have been known to do that sometimes.
Anyway, if anybody else has any comments please feel free to mention it.
This is still in the thinking stage, no commitment and no dollars spent yet.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
A box enclosure might be nice, but will it get enough air in a box? Perhaps with flip down sides, or a lift off cover like a sewing machine might be better. This would require a custom job, but it would be stronger than a receiver tray. It could be sized for the generator, attached ad a height that doesn't block air flow too much, and be wired permanently to an outlet in the truck bed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator