Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #1

I have a Ford Excursion with a 6.8L V10. Currently I am towing an Aerolite 30 foot TT using a standard Weight Distribution hitch with trunnion bars, and one friction sway control. I am thinking about buying a new 31'Rockwood TT and was wondering if I should change my hitch setup. The dealer wants to sell me the "Equal-i-zer" hitch. I was also looking at the dual cam sway control for my hitch. I don't really want to spend the money for a Pullrite or Hensley. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #2

I have a Ford Excursion with a 6.8L V10. Currently I am towing an Aerolite 30 foot TT using a standard Weight Distribution hitch with trunnion bars, and one friction sway control. I am thinking about buying a new 31'Rockwood TT and was wondering if I should change my hitch setup. The dealer wants to sell me the "Equal-i-zer" hitch. I was also looking at the dual cam sway control for my hitch. I don't really want to spend the money for a Pullrite or Hensley. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #3

Spend the money on the Hensley! Even if you have to buy a smaller trailer to afford the Hensley. I just bought one 6 weeks ago and towed my 31ft Yukon Wilderness from Dallas to Sierra Vista Arizona - part of the trip with some pretty challenging cross-winds; we never even knew that we were towing a trailer that large, thanks to the Hensley.
I will never ever tow a trailer without the Hensley!!

Best Of Luck; Let us know what you decide.

Stay Safe & Let the Godd Times Roll!

The Pakman
Old 01-12-2005, 05:08 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Buy a Hensley. I was pulling my 30' with my Excursion using a Reese Dual Cam. Did good, but wanted something more. Purchased a Hensley and wow, now an totally enjoyable towing experience every time.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:06 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I agrre, if you have the money get the Hensley. If you donlt want to spend the money, the Reese Dual Cam works great. I towed a
30' sunline with a Dodge Ram 1500 (I know 1/2 ton truck, big trailer, heard all the lectures, doing it right now )with the Reese dual cam setup. I loved it. Hardley any sway even in cross winds and with passing trucks. I couldn't justify the money for a Hensley since I am just a weekend warrior and do 1 or 2 long trips a year. Of course I ended spending the money on a new truck and fifth wheel anyway.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:20 PM   #6

Thanks, I may just have to spring for the Hensley. What about hooking up? Sometimes I'm in a tight spot and I can't get the truck straight in line with tailer. Can you hook up on an angle? Also, is it hard to install?