Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GM 5.3 or Ford Ecoboost?????

I hate Salesmen as they all lie! Now with that said!

So I would like some feedback on the Ford Eco boost and the GM 5.3

Not really interest Ford v/s GM unless it is absolutely unavoidable. I really am not out to start a war.

I owned a 1996 Chevy Vortec and pulled a 5th wheel had it 15 years and it gave up the Ghost at 185 thousand miles. Loved that little truck!

Also had a Dodge Cummins powered. Son has it now and just turned 500,000. I don't want another Diesel.
Should I buy another Gm Product or Ford. I am exhausted with the sales talk.

Wife caught me trying to slash my wrists with a wet noodle.

Seriously I am scarred to death and don't want to the wrong move.
Good or bad I look forward to your comments
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #2

The Chevy 5.3L is a good motor, but does have some potential issues with the direct injection and oil passing through and clogging up things. It's not super common though.

The 3.5L EB is a very strong motor with plenty of power and I've read many good things about them. I've read of some turbo issues, but like the Chevs, seems to not be super common.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

I'd gravitate to the ecoboost for the ignorant amount of torque and the turbo for pulling at elevation, but that's just my opinion.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawHD View Post
The Chevy 5.3L is a good motor, but does have some potential issues with the direct injection and oil passing through and clogging up things. It's not super common though.

The 3.5L EB is a very strong motor with plenty of power and I've read many good things about them. I've read of some turbo issues, but like the Chevs, seems to not be super common.
Thank you for your comments! Good to know the potential issues.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I'd gravitate to the ecoboost for the ignorant amount of torque and the turbo for pulling at elevation, but that's just my opinion.
Your opinion is well taken. Im finding the cost is different and the options are different. The fellow at Ford just want's to sell me a $58000 dollar truck. The fellow at GM realizes that I don't need any whistles and bells,and has basically the same truck at $47000.

The quietest thing in our vehicles is the radio. The wife talks and I listen.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Should I be concerned with the 5.3 with it's active fuel management?
I remember when Cadillac used a system for blocking out cylinders. It was a disaster.
Do you think they now have it right?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #7

Yeah don't compare the caddy experiment to the current Gen5 small block...that 5.3 in the new trucks is a beaut! A buddy just bought a 2017 1500 crew cab and he's loving it. He went with the GM over the heavily discounted Ram for the 2000lb payload (He sent out a picture of the box full of feed and no squat) I personally like a natural aspirated engine to avoid that extra heat being pushed into the combustion chamber but everyone has an opinion!
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #8

Drive them both with comparable options. I had the Ecoboost in a 2012 F150. That is one strong engine and pulls like a beast. If you are towing at all, to me it is the best choice.
womps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #9

I have a GMC Sierra 1500 w/5.3. I really like the set up. Fuel management is great, don't feel it changing from 4 to 8. Great milage if not pulling a trailer (20 to 24 mpg). But when I pull my trailer (it weighs w/SXS, 3800 lbs.) milage goes to around 8 to 10 mph. Bear in mind, I live in a pretty hilly area. So it should get better MPG if you are in a flatter driving area. I also live above 4000' and seem to get into it a little more. Oh and it is a 4X4 crew cab too. I have had both Ford and GMC, but find the GM seem to be more comfortable on longer trips. The GM also has a steel bed instead of a aluminum bed. My last Ford had 250K miles at trade in. Ran like new!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

The EcoBoost is also a direct injection. Many DI engines can get carbon buildup on the back side of the intake valves which can cause some issues if it happens. For 2017 Ford introduced a modification to the engine to address this issue. Only time will tell if they got it licked. They also introduced a 10 speed trans, which should help boost mileage. You will have to get used to the stop/start technology that was also introduced - engine turns off when you stop at traffic lights...
FWIW, I have a 2016 Ford EB and love it. I'm getting in the low 20's for mileage around home and plenty of power/torque when needed when towing. My favorite comment about the EB's, you can have Eco or Boost but not both at the same time...
Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks a lot for all the comments. I am really leaning toward the GM so now it depends on the Sales people Dukeing it out.

Fantastic help what a great bunch of people
Old 06-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #12

One other comment, if you are pulling at altitude all normally aspirated engines loose power in the thinner air. The EB because of the turbo's is not affected. So you would be slowing down in the GM at the mountain tops. The Ford will be able to stay at just about whatever speed you want. Because most diesels also have turbos on them, they also maintain their power/torque.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #13

What are you towing these days?

Will this truck be the daily driver and tow rig, what % time towing?

So let's take a look back at your beloved Vortec in '96. If it was the 5.7L then it had these specs:
255 HP @ 4,600
330 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 2,800

Good news is a LOT has happened since '96 in fuel/engine management.

Ecoboost certainly a proven performer, initial gremlins, long since worked out.
375 HP @ 5,000
470 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 3,500
Are these torque numbers not incredible coming from a 3.5L? Boggles this old gear-heads mind I tell ya. Owners will tell you when towing you usually get the way more "boost" and a lot less "eco".

Father-in-law's last three Chevy trucks had the 5.3L, He loves it, and if driven gingerly, returns great fuel mileage.
355 HP @ 5,600
383 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 4,100

In regards to towing, either truck greatly exceeds the good ol' Vortec V-8, so you're good to go there. What will be different is both engines need to rev to produce the power/torque needed to get the work done. That will take some getting used to, but they are made to run at higher rpms and will happily do that all the time. New multi speed transmissions make it easy to use that power at most any speed in multiple gears.

If our trucks are tools used to tow, then we want the biggest hammer (or lever). The most torque, (moves the load) supported by the best horsepower, how fast the work gets done, (keeps the load moving). Ideally both max numbers occurring near to one another at similar rpms.

Since you had a Cummins Dodge, you understand this relationship, and compare the Ecoboost torque to the old Dodge numbers. Amazing ain't it? Now keep in mind the Ecoboost works its magic with two small turbochargers, more stuff to maintain/worry about.

As much as I like the 5.3L Chevy, It will have to be the little engine that could when towing, It will have to hang out above 4,000 rpms most all the time to produce good numbers when towing heavy. Now it will do it, but you'll need a different mindset.

So if any of you are still wading through this dissertation, consider option 3, what I believe is the most towing capability for the least money today.
Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tradesman, 4WD 6.4L Hemi
410 HP @ 5,600
429 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 4,000
Hmmm, all this for about $ 35K after rebates and discounts, just sayin'
Example: (rated at about 10K towing with 3.73)
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...UR5CJ0HG711642
What else do we really need in a tow rig?

So the little Ecoboost bests the torque ratings, but at what cost? Now you've got enough info to make your head spin. Go get the truck you like driving the best for your dollar, and you should be happy vs. your old Vortec. Think about which one you'll catch yourself looking back at it as you walk away after locking it in the parking lot...That should be the one you get.

Good Luck.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
What are you towing these days?

Will this truck be the daily driver and tow rig, what % time towing?

So let's take a look back at your beloved Vortec in '96. If it was the 5.7L then it had these specs:
255 HP @ 4,600
330 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 2,800

Good news is a LOT has happened since '96 in fuel/engine management.

Ecoboost certainly a proven performer, initial gremlins, long since worked out.
375 HP @ 5,000
470 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 3,500
Are these torque numbers not incredible coming from a 3.5L? Boggles this old gear-heads mind I tell ya. Owners will tell you when towing you usually get the way more "boost" and a lot less "eco".

Father-in-law's last three Chevy trucks had the 5.3L, He loves it, and if driven gingerly, returns great fuel mileage.
355 HP @ 5,600
383 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 4,100

In regards to towing, either truck greatly exceeds the good ol' Vortec V-8, so you're good to go there. What will be different is both engines need to rev to produce the power/torque needed to get the work done. That will take some getting used to, but they are made to run at higher rpms and will happily do that all the time. New multi speed transmissions make it easy to use that power at most any speed in multiple gears.

If our trucks are tools used to tow, then we want the biggest hammer (or lever). The most torque, (moves the load) supported by the best horsepower, how fast the work gets done, (keeps the load moving). Ideally both max numbers occurring near to one another at similar rpms.

Since you had a Cummins Dodge, you understand this relationship, and compare the Ecoboost torque to the old Dodge numbers. Amazing ain't it? Now keep in mind the Ecoboost works its magic with two small turbochargers, more stuff to maintain/worry about.

As much as I like the 5.3L Chevy, It will have to be the little engine that could when towing, It will have to hang out above 4,000 rpms most all the time to produce good numbers when towing heavy. Now it will do it, but you'll need a different mindset.

So if any of you are still wading through this dissertation, consider option 3, what I believe is the most towing capability for the least money today.
Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tradesman, 4WD 6.4L Hemi
410 HP @ 5,600
429 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 4,000
Hmmm, all this for about $ 35K after rebates and discounts, just sayin'
Example: (rated at about 10K towing with 3.73)
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...UR5CJ0HG711642
What else do we really need in a tow rig?

So the little Ecoboost bests the torque ratings, but at what cost? Now you've got enough info to make your head spin. Go get the truck you like driving the best for your dollar, and you should be happy vs. your old Vortec. Think about which one you'll catch yourself looking back at it as you walk away after locking it in the parking lot...That should be the one you get.

Good Luck.
Thank you very much great info. As you said the EB has more to go wrong and this truck will be the only vehicle my wife and I will have.

I know all about screaming rev's as our old Class A 35 ft was always up in RPM. We are not going to miss the noise. Not to offend anybody the old 460 was bullet proof. It out lasted just about everything else including the fridge.
We just want a nice little trailer to take us through the summers. 25 ft or so. We are never going to full time just summer travel.
What you say about looking back is true.

We have purchased a lot of new vehicles and I can tell you over the years I have looked back a lot but no further than the current one in the drive way!
Thank you

Tags
ford