Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #1

If if read this Q&A page correctly, both the 2500 and 3500 trucks have the same 22,000lb GCWR for towing a 5er. Does this mean the 2500 duramax can tow nearly 1 ton more than the 3500 based on thier "ready to tow" weights?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #2

If if read this Q&A page correctly, both the 2500 and 3500 trucks have the same 22,000lb GCWR for towing a 5er. Does this mean the 2500 duramax can tow nearly 1 ton more than the 3500 based on thier "ready to tow" weights?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 12-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, a 3/4 ton can "tow" more than a one ton, but read the fine print under the tow capacities. You are not to exceed either GAWR or GVWR for the truck. A 1 ton has a higher GVWR than the 3/4 ton, so the 3/4 ton will reach the GVWR limit well before you max out on a 5er with GCWR. Typically a 5er will have a pin weigh of close to 20% of the trailers GVWR once loaded. So a 5er with a GVWR of 15,000# will have a pin weight of close to 3000# which will put you over the GVWR on a 3/4 ton truck.

Ken
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #4

Not neccessarily. I have an '04 GMC 2500 HD SLE ext cab 6.0L with a 4.10 rear that has load cap of 3750# and towing cap of 10,300#.

Using your example, my truck could handle the pin weight without any trouble, but would be well over tow capacity.

Bottom line. Match the TV to the load. Don't matter what make or model.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Knute, that is why you have to check both the GVWR and the GCWR. If you weigh your 2500 you may well find that your load capacity is not really 3750#. My F350 DRW has a GVWR or 11,500# and it weighs right at 8000# ready to roll. This gives me an actual carrying capacity of 3500#, based on real weights.

The trailer towing and payload weights published by the truck manufacturers are base on the lightest weight base model truck thay can use plus a 150# driver. By the time you add all of the options, accessories, tol boxes, nerf bars, passengers, etc., the factory number do shrink quiet a bit.

Ken
Old 12-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are actually three different things to consider.
The CGVWR is based on the drivetrain therefore a Duramax/Allison/4.10 rear end will have the same rating for either a 2500 or 3500 truck.
The CGVWR is the maximium amount the truck and trailer can weigh when combined.

The GVWR is the maximium the truck can weigh when loaded with passengers, options, and gear. It is usually the sum of the GAWR for the front and rear axles. Sometimes it is less than the sum.

The GAWR is the maximium each axle (front and rear) can handle. It is spring and tire related and somewhat axle related.

The point everyone is trying to make here is that you can be under the combined weight rating and still be over the axle rating or gross vehicle rating. This is much more important when towing 5th wheels where the pin weight is 20% of the trailer weight, but it is also directly on the axle and there is no WD hitch.

While there is some weight difference between a 3/4T and a 1T PU, it will not make that much difference in how much you can tow (using CGWR)but it will make a difference when you factor in pin wt.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:57 PM   #7

My reasons are avoiding the DOT step-up in Indiana enforcement because of all the pickups towing trailers South for FEMA. They now must comply with the same regs as OTR drivers in semi's. MY 96 CTD was well under both axle ratings (which combined is much higher than the GVW) towing our new 5er but it was 200lbs over the GVW when empty per CAT scales. Consequestly I bought a new truck, a K3500 D/A crew cab. Now nearly everyone says I bought too much truck(is there such a thing?) But it does make me wonder if a K2500 D/A would have been satisfactory because they have higher ratings than my trusted old 96 CTD.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #8

If you do not do all the math and do not consider GVWR a 2500 can pull more than a 3500. Look at GM, Ford or Dodge sales literature and you will see a 2500 is rated to pull more. That is very true on paper.

However show me a 16000 pound fiver that will not exceed the payload of a 2500. Most 2500s weigh in at 7000 plus pounds. So if it has a GVWR of 9200 pounds that leaves 2200 for pin weight. Now put a couple of adults in the truck and you have 1900 left for pin weight.

Reality is a 3500 can pull a heaver trailer with out Exceeding GVWR, GAWR and GCWR.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have noticed that at least Chevy has a seperate table for 5th wheel towing.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:15 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am not sure if I am over the CGVWR or not. Our fiver weights 11500 almost empty. Northwood claim a pin weight of 1800 lbs. I also have a 30 Transflow fuel tank, too box in the bed. I have a 2500 Chev D/A with Timberns. I just put the Timbrens on as the truck settles four inches with the fiver hooked up. The truck and trailer ride level but getting a lot of people flashing lights at me at night.
Tom
Old 12-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dianeandtom,

You need to not only look at CGVWR, but also the GVWR and rear axle GAWR. With the tank, fule and the pin weight of the trailer you are most likely exceeding the GVWr or GAWR.

Ken