Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 AM   #1

Hey guys,

I did not have any responses to the MPG question form GM/Duramax/Alison owners. The new duo (360hp/6spd Alison) must give embarrassing MPG. Otherwise I figure someone would be bragging. How bout it guys?

Thanks,
Ralph

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 AM   #2

Hey guys,

I did not have any responses to the MPG question form GM/Duramax/Alison owners. The new duo (360hp/6spd Alison) must give embarrassing MPG. Otherwise I figure someone would be bragging. How bout it guys?

Thanks,
Ralph

Old 05-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
"Gentlemen,

Many of you may have realized that I am doing my research well in advance of purchase. You may also realize that I'm utilizing your experience and expertise to this end.

That said, I am seeking MPG info from each of you light duty desiesel owners who tow 5ers under 12K. Please include info on year, drivetrain, loaded, and unloaded. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ralph"

Well Ralph, not many of us are pulling that light a load with the D/A so thats probably why you didn't get any answers.

Myself, I'm towing about 23,500 lbs gross combined with the truck in my sig and normally get right at 9 mpg with the cruise set at 75 mph. Empty, combo driving, I get 17.5 to 19 depending on how I drive it. I normally tow and drive in level 3 with the edge products box.

Good luck in your research.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
23500 gcvw
thats funny, not much rating compared to the boss at 26k gcvwr and we are at 23860 loaded.
vroommm zoom zoom 11 mpg towing at 70-75 ish and thats stock tune with a 4" exhaust and no kitty, she had a vist with the VET

curious about that 3.73 axle, is she sluggish off the line and downshift a bunch, I drove one before i got the tow boss, but they wouldnt let me load it to max gvwr or pull a trailer to see if would work for me ???
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did not have any responses to the MPG question form GM/Duramax/Alison owners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't respond because you posted that you were only interested in towing data on trailers under 12,000#. Mine is close to 14,000#.

I had to resist the urge to post anyway but felt it best not to mess up your thread.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">curious about that 3.73 axle, is she sluggish off the line and downshift a bunch, I drove one before i got the tow boss, but they wouldnt let me load it to max gvwr or pull a trailer to see if would work for me ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well chief, Stock, it would downshift, juiced, set the cruise and forget it. It would be nice to have a lower rear gear but GM doesn't offer it in the D/A, at least not yet. The rating on the GM in 2002 was only 21500 or 22K so I'm asking it to do a lot. Sure rides nice too and the CC is really comfortable for the passengers. and, the biggest thing I like about it is, it hasn't been back to the dealer for anything in over 50k.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #7

OK OK OK
Forgive my ignorance.

What I'm mostly interested in is back and forth to work each day with only my over abundant frame on board. After all, in my case that will be most of the miles recieved. My situation what it is, I can't keep one vehicle exclusively for play. Either that or running out to Lake Fork (also hiway driving).

Will diesel save me fuel money over my 4.7, 5spd, 3.55 gasser in the long run? So what do you get unloaded on the highway?

Than ks,
Ralph
Old 06-01-2006, 03:45 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Will diesel save me fuel money over my 4.7, 5spd, 3.55 gasser in the long run? So what do you get unloaded on the highway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unloaded, mine will average 16.5 to 17.0, I doubt you'll come out ahead on your commute driving a GM diesel pickup. Your 4.7, 5spd, 3.55 gasser should produce a much better commute mileage and will do it on fuel that's less expensive. Keep in mind that diesel fuel prices will more than likely go even higher next year when the ULSD fuel is introduced for the '07 models.

Your only problem seems to be that the economical 4.7, 5spd, 3.55 gasser won't handle much of a trailer.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 AM   #9

Richard,

In my area diesel is .05-.08 cheaper than gas. I knew that for several years it was higher, but I associated that with demand exceeding supply. What gives?

You're right about my gasser. Not supposed to tow more than its own weight. REALLY frustrating, but that's what happens when you rely on old school knowledge (ignorance is not bliss).

Ralph
Old 06-01-2006, 08:47 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What gives? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ralph,

Cant answer regarding "what gives", but here in NC diesel and is priced at $2.899 and gasoline is around $2.629. I usually get my diesel up in TN, which is about 25 miles north of me, for $2.759, still higher than gas.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #11

Funny. In my zip code (in DFW Texas) one station has it higher by a dime, most are dead even, and a few (including where I get my gas) is a dime cheaper. Our gas prices however are the same as yours. Have you checked out this fuel price website? Fuel Prices in your zip
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Driving across Houston, I see diesel for a nickel less than regular to a nickel more. Makes a lot of sense....

Ken
Old 06-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by powerboatr:
23500 gcvw
thats funny, not much rating compared to the boss at 26k gcvwr and we are at 23860 loaded.
vroommm zoom zoom 11 mpg towing at 70-75 ish and thats stock tune with a 4" exhaust and no kitty, she had a vist with the VET

curious about that 3.73 axle, is she sluggish off the line and downshift a bunch, I drove one before i got the tow boss, but they wouldnt let me load it to max gvwr or pull a trailer to see if would work for me ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That must be a real tug boat your driving with that Tow Boss set up. Cedar Creek says your trailer GVW is 13870 if I remember right. That means you truck is 9900lbs to come up with your combined weight, or, Cedar Creek has not posted the correct info for the 36RLTs.

My Carriage has a little more GVW and I tow it fine at 11 mpg with a 3:55 rear in 6th gear. In fifth gear at 55 mph I turn out 13.5 mpg. At 70 and 75 which I rarely do its around 9. Gets 19-20 mpg running light boat. My combined is right around 20,500lbs. When I finally retire the second time, I'll change the rear to 4:10, add a 65hp chip for 650 lbs/ft of torque and go on my way. My truck is right around 7100lbs loaded.

My Son's Wife's Dad has a 05 Dodge with the Cummins and 4:10/six speed. He's pulling a 36ft (37ft LOA)Carri Lite, Carriage at 16,300lb GVW getting 14 mpg at 55mph. He towed that trailer with one like mine before he got the 05. He has to watch his weigh having a combined rating somewhere between 23,000-23,500.

Ford has the tow rig, no doubt, with the tow boss rig in the one ton truck. All of us Dodge Guys have to wait for the Class 4 and 5 due out next year we all hope using the 6.7 Cummins at 325hp and 750 lbs/ft of torque, so werrrre told. Have to wait and see.

Dave
Old 06-27-2006, 04:55 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoastalDav:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by powerboatr:
23500 gcvw

curious about that 3.73 axle, is she sluggish off the line and downshift a bunch, I drove one before i got the tow boss, but they wouldnt let me load it to max gvwr or pull a trailer to see if would work for me ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That must be a real tug boat your driving with that Tow Boss set up. Cedar Creek says your trailer GVW is 13870 if I remember right. That means you truck is 9900lbs to come up with your combined weight, or, Cedar Creek has not posted the correct info for the 36RLTs.

My Carriage has a little more GVW and I tow it fine at 11 mpg with a 3:55 rear in 6th gear. In fifth gear at 55 mph I turn out 13.5 mpg. At 70 and 75 which I rarely do its around 9. Gets 19-20 mpg running light boat. My combined is right around 20,500lbs. When I finally retire the second time, I'll change the rear to 4:10, add a 65hp chip for 650 lbs/ft of torque and go on my way. My truck is right around 7100lbs loaded.

My Son's Wife's Dad has a 05 Dodge with the Cummins and 4:10/six speed. He's pulling a 36ft (37ft LOA)Carri Lite, Carriage at 16,300lb GVW getting 14 mpg at 55mph. He towed that trailer with one like mine before he got the 05. He has to watch his weigh having a combined rating somewhere between 23,000-23,500.

Ford has the tow rig, no doubt, with the tow boss rig in the one ton truck. All of us Dodge Guys have to wait for the Class 4 and 5 due out next year we all hope using the 6.7 Cummins at 325hp and 750 lbs/ft of torque, so werrrre told. Have to wait and see.

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dave, yep 13870 is cedar creeks posted gvwr for the 36rlts...
we had 12,200 on the axles, so i off loaded soem water,
but pin wt was just over 2500, which is still in the design paramaters but over the 1800 estimated by cedar creek, funny hting is i asked them about dropping in a set of 7k axles, and the response was intersting
void warranty if we did becasue its set up to handle and ride with the 6ks loaded to ..... 6k
and it would be to light out back with a pair of 7k's I disagree ...
anyway they told me i was only limited to 15,500 gvwr becasue the hitch pin assembly was rated at 15,500,
so i would be safe to load the axles to ( two 6k's) to 12,000 lbs and then i could add 3500 up front not to exceed the pins rating of 15,500.
So i asked, whay not just make the tag on the side say GVWR 15,500 and keep it simple.....?as of yet i have recieved no response
as far as the truck empty wt. with all my tool boxes and stuff (two highway boxes) we are just 8900 -9200 , OUCH with a gvwr of 13k , it needs to go on a diet,
next trip out we should be much lighter as i threw away a bunch of books and thinned out the "MUST HAVE's "

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote