Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
GM Pickup Truck ?

Does anyone tow with a GM pickup truck, with a 4.3 engine and 3:23 gears? If so how does it do?
Hitchpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a friend who has towed with his 4.3 GM truck. I don't know what gear it has. it did better than he thought it would. he was towing a jeep on a trailer (about 5500 Lbs I think)
I kept telling him it would be fine and he did try it when his much older early 80 350 pickup blew a gasket. so for now this is his truck.
over on the Ford side of things the 300 six is a real good engine to tow with.
A 4.3 or 300 won't win a race, but they both will outlast many of the other higher hp engines.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
What are you wanting to tow, and what will it weigh? Obviously, the 1/2 ton truck (I'm assuming) with small engine and tall gearing is not the ideal towing platform, but it could probably handle a very limited towing application (IOW, don't be looking at big 5th wheels with this rig. )

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
What are you wanting to tow, and what will it weigh? Obviously, the 1/2 ton truck (I'm assuming) with small engine and tall gearing is not the ideal towing platform, but it could probably handle a very limited towing application (IOW, don't be looking at big 5th wheels with this rig. )

Rusty
My 2012 Swift SLX 154BH That has a GVWR of 3200 lbs.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Not a problem. I pulled a 3500+ lbs. Camper with my 3.9L freestar minivan. My buddy pulled the same camper home for me when I bought it with his 3.7L dodge ram.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchpin View Post
Does anyone tow with a GM pickup truck, with a 4.3 engine and 3:23 gears? If so how does it do?
Do you live in an area that will require you to pull a lot of steep grades?

If not it'll work but don't get crazy trying to pull anything too crazy.

I know that out west here that your truck wouldn't last too long as we have long steep grades to pull know matter where we head. It's not just the motor to worry about but the tranny as well. My dad used to tow a 19' TT behind a Chevy Astro van & he ended up burning up the tranny pulling a long 6% grade. JMO
The House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The House View Post
Do you live in an area that will require you to pull a lot of steep grades?

If not it'll work but don't get crazy trying to pull anything too crazy.

I know that out west here that your truck wouldn't last too long as we have long steep grades to pull know matter where we head. It's not just the motor to worry about but the tranny as well. My dad used to tow a 19' TT behind a Chevy Astro van & he ended up burning up the tranny pulling a long 6% grade. JMO
I have some steep grades, but they are not very long.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ok, I think I fixed my potential towing problem. I took out the factory open differential and the 3:23 gears, and installed a new Eaton Posi, and a new set of 3:73 gears.

I also changed the speedometer and odometer setting so they would read right.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #9

I towed with a Chevy S-10 that had the 4.3 engine and a tow rating of 5600 pounds, but I don't know the axle. I wasn't happy with it pulling our 2500 pound EggCamper, but that could have largely been due to it only having a four speed transmission. On even small hills it would downshift to third and I had to slow down too much to keep the revs down. On steep hills I just couldn't keep up with the flow of the traffic. If I had been happy going 45 in a 65 zone I guess it would have worked. If it had had a five or six speed it probably would have been fine.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
When the emission controls were at thier worst the 350 chev was so low on HP it was within 10% of what the moderen a 4.3L V6 does now.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote