Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Hi Folks,
My delemma about the emergency brake on our TV (2003 GMC 3500 Longbox) with only 11,000 miles continues.
After failing state inspection, and not getting a sticker I appealed to GMC. They were very obliging and asked me to take it to my dealer for an appraisal. Did that today 8-29-06. After 2 hours of guestimating the truck was returned to me with a new inspection sticker, and the written cost to repair estimate. $800.19!!!. Yikes Tomorrow I will call GMC back, and will see what they will do for me. I am also going to ask them if this is going to happen in another 11K miles. I am led to believe that I am not the only one with this failure of the E brake. Anybody else have this problem?
Tootall

2003 Carriage CW362 5th Wheel
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Hi Folks,
My delemma about the emergency brake on our TV (2003 GMC 3500 Longbox) with only 11,000 miles continues.
After failing state inspection, and not getting a sticker I appealed to GMC. They were very obliging and asked me to take it to my dealer for an appraisal. Did that today 8-29-06. After 2 hours of guestimating the truck was returned to me with a new inspection sticker, and the written cost to repair estimate. $800.19!!!. Yikes Tomorrow I will call GMC back, and will see what they will do for me. I am also going to ask them if this is going to happen in another 11K miles. I am led to believe that I am not the only one with this failure of the E brake. Anybody else have this problem?
Tootall

Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #3

Not sure what the problem is, but I would bet it has to do with the emergency brake not holding? This is sort of common with 4 wheel disc brake trucks. The emergency brake is basically a small drum brake attached to the drive shaft as I remember. What happens in salt prone areas is that these parts corode with lack of use and freeze up. Is GM liable?? I dont think so. I think your state is more at fault for using salt on the roads in the winter. If it is truly broke I do not think it shoudl cost 800 dollars to rebuild. Golly a complete brake job can be done for about 150 bucks for parts I would bet if you were to price the parts out and do the works yourself, or find a good brake shop to do the work for a lot less than that.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #4

Here is a starting place to search for recalls and other problems recalls-warnings and NHTSA ODI If you wish to file a complaint here is one place.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:53 AM   #5

Hi, ! Chevy uses a small drum- style, e-brake, built inside the rear rotors. Instead of shoes, there is a "band",the e-brake cable, when pulled, causes the band to expand against the drum. As stated, that's WAY too much money to repair the e-brake system! Is the estimate from GM a detailed one? Check around at other dealers, or independent brake shops, and get some second opinions on this. I've been a mechanic for 40 years, and in my opinion, even at the $80 shop rate that most dealers charge, there is NO way you could tie-up that much money in the system. GM had a big problem with rusty, poor quality, rear rotors. If you scream loud enough, you should get some "relief" even if you're out of warrenty. They will tell you "wear parts aren't covered", but FAULTY parts ARE! Good Luck.....CROW
Old 09-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Thanks all,
I do have a written itemized report on what parts are required. They are all replacement GM parts. Then I got to thinking as to Is this going to happen in another 11K miles? No answer yet, but waiting to hear back. BTW We only use this truck as a tow vehicle between May and October. No road salt.
Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Update: Got call from GMC and they are going to pay all charges. I guess I got ticked off for nothing.