Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
GMC Envoy and 23' hybrid

Hello Everyone

I have been camping and towing for some time

Using a 96 Jayco 1206 pup and a Pontiac Montana
The pup fully loaded is 2300 lbs
And the old Montana is not the greatest TV but it always seemed to handle the pup with no problems on flats and some effort on small hills

so i am no stranger to driving a under powered TV and always take the attitude of we get there when we get there.

Now we are looking at moving up

A friend is selling a 23ft Jayco kiwi
Specs say 3660 area dry weight however i know this means nothing
He works at the local dump so we took it to the scales fully loaded with gear food clothes ready to camp it weighed in at 4860 so lets say 4900 lbs
Didnt actually measure tongue weight
We were kind of in a hurry and forgot ..DOH

Looking at buying the bother in laws mint 2004 Envoy(sun gear already upgraded btw) V6 with towing package
GM specs say the V6 model is rated at 6300 lbs
The envoy comes with brake controller and wd hitch

Usual camping for us is myself and wife and two teenagers
All gear goes in camper and only a cooler of drinks in the TV
always believed trailer is for cargo TV is for people and dogs
The roof or hatch is for mother in laws

so the tv never gets loaded up

We usually only camp within a 100 miles of home in Ontario so no big hills
and typically a 2-3 hour drive.
With the occasional trip to Michigan or Ohio to visit friends and watch the Sat night red neck roundy rounds (racing LOL)

I am thinking the towing experience is going to be similar to towing the pup with the montana .. ok on flats and effort on hills

Would love to get a truck but really need something to seat 6 to 7 people as the wife does a lot of running around with the kids friends and family.
Easier to stuff and hide the mother in law behind the hatch of a suv than the open bed of a pickup truck to

Plus i travel a lot for work avg 25,000 miles a year so a truck for me is kinda out of the question

Looked at all 3 mid size SUV's GM Ford Dodge
While the Envoy handles like a tank it does seem to have the better towing cap and torque in the V6 range than Ford or Dodge
And for long term issues it seems to be the lesser of the 3 evils

Just wonder what your opinions are on this combo

I know on paper it works
But if everything on paper worked in the real world we wouldn't need test pilots would we

So am looking for opinions on this combo and if anyone has experience hauling a 23ft hybrid with a mid size SUV

Thanks in advance

Maj_Malfunct is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
I thought the tow ratings for the Envoy were 5,300lbs to 5700lbs depending on what final drive tow package etc...

Either way by the time you add a WDH and passengers, you'll be very close to or over your max rating.

Not to mention the I6 engine will struggle with 5000lbs going up any kind of mountain. If you are a doing a short local tow you might be fine.

If you want more towing capacity, get the Hemi Durango. You'll be much happier. Or go to a full 3/4 ton SUV.

gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
You dont "need" a 3/4 ton suv just to pull a 23' trailer under 5000lbs. Since you live in Ontario, go see these guys Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts. I see tons of envoys, acadia, trailblazers etc in there parking lots with small/med trailers on them. They can set you up safely.
shep13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Originally Posted by shep13 View Post
You dont "need" a 3/4 ton suv just to pull a 23' trailer under 5000lbs. Since you live in Ontario, go see these guys Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts. I see tons of envoys, acadia, trailblazers etc in there parking lots with small/med trailers on them. They can set you up safely.
Sorry i meant "1/2" ton as in the expedition, sequioa, armada, suburban etc.... I was typing in a hurry.

Yes, you really don't "need" a bigger vehicle, although i would be sure to check your final drive ratio and eqiupment package to see what your actual tow rating is. Also, PCMforless has a nice tranny cooler kit and pcm program for the trailblazer/envoy.

Like i said before, the inline 6 with a 4 speed auto is going to want to rev alot going up any mountains. Be prepared for that.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We tow a 5000-5100 lb. (loaded / wet ) 25' hybrid tt. We use a 2005 Toyota 4-Runner with a V-8....It's rated at 7200 lbs..with a 750 lbs tongue rating without a WD hitch and 1100 lbs with a WD hitch. My hybrid has a dry tongue of 500, so I went with a WD hitch. The 4-Runner handles the 5000k fine, even in the mountains of PA, OH, VT, KY....But I would not want to tow anything larger than this RV. I will put a few boxes of firewood in the back of the SUV.

Since they no longer offer a V-8 in the 4-Runner (either 09 or 10' was the last year for the V-8 option) I'm looking at a Tundra, Chevy...Not many Medium sized SUV's with V-8's any more.

Are you sure on the 6300 lb. towing limit for the V-6 Envoy?

I would see what the dry tongue weight of the Jayco is, and what the Chevy is listed as for tongue limit with a WD hitch....
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
The Envoy is geared at 3.77 which i read is supposed to be good for 6300lbs
Doesnt matter much anyway i solved my problem LOL

Was in Michigan on the weekend and bought my buddies 27' Jayco class C

Found a two wheel dolly for sale on CL and towed the minivan back with the Jayco

Strange how things work out sometimes

Was looking for a trailer and something to tow it with and ended up finding something to tow a car with LOL

Should have seen the look on the border guards eyes when he asked if i have anything to declare and i told him yes your looking at it.
Maj_Malfunct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Cool! Sounds very exciting. My wife has a 05 envoy and I've never towed our 5000lb TT with it, I suspect it would struggle. But that is a moot point. Congrats on your new purchase. See you on the 401.

bt76 is offline   Reply With Quote