Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

GMC Envoy - what can it tow?

I have a 2006 Envoy with the straight 6 cylinder engine. Wanting to get a camper and wondering what others are towing with this vehicle ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

Probably a 5 ft small utility trailer with a pup tent on it.
Seriously a very small pop up tent trailer

Old 01-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #3

That engine has >250 hp. My 4 cyl. Toyota has 159 hp and is rated to tow 3500 lbs. It pulls a 2400 lb. rv good on flat ground....doesn't like hills too much.
Yours should do better than mine but it would pay to check the owners manual.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #4

The straight 6 is a pretty tourqey motor, but still only about 270ft/lbs. I had on with a V8. It towed our 25ft zeppelin 242 easily in terms of power. However it did have some pretty bad sway once going from Dallas to Lubbock. I did have a bar and chain wdh with friction sway control, probably not adjusted correctly after much learning on this forum. If I would have spent more money and bought the hitch I have now I might have kept that setup longer. If I were you, look for something no longer than 22ft and 4500lbs loaded with a good wdh. Oh and leave the tranny in 3rd.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:26 AM   #5

Here's a link to the relevant section of the owners manual for towing:
If You Do Decide To Pull A Trailer; Weight Of The Trailer - Gmc 2006 Envoy Owner's Manual [Page 345]

Depending on your rear axle you've either got a 5,300lb max tow capacity or a 5,800lb max tow capacity. Or course you're gross combined weight rating (GCWR) for trailer and vehicle is only 10,000lbs and the curb weight on that thing is about 4,500lbs. The tongue weight limit is 400lbs normal and 900lbs with a load distributing hitch.
Hope that helps. Maybe look into a V8 unit?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
...Depending on your rear axle you've either got a 5,300lb max tow capacity or a 5,800lb max tow capacity.
And those max tow capacity numbers are misleading (overstated). With GCWR of 10,000 pounds, when your trailer grosses 5,800 pounds, that leaves only 4,200 pounds for wet and loaded weight of the Envoy. Max tow capacity is calculated as GCWR minus the weight of the tow vehicle.

Weigh the Envoy when loaded with everybody and everything that will be in it and on it when towing, including the shank and head from your weight-distributing hitch and a full tank of gas. You'll see that the SUV weighs a lot more than 4,200 pounds, so your real-world max tow capacity will be a lot less than 5,800.

The GCWR is the maximum combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer you can have without overheating something in the drivetrain, and without being the slowpoke holding up traffic when climbing hills and mountain passes.

And that's not the end of the bad news. The real-world max tow capacity is probably not your limiter as to the weight of a trailer you can tow. The payload capacity is usually the limiter on most SUVs. Your actual unused payload capacity available for hitch weight is GVWR of the Encore minus the wet and loaded weight of the Encore ready to hook up to the trailer. Travel trailer tongue weight averages about 12.5 to 13 percent of gross trailer weight, so a 5,800 pound travel trailer would have tongue weight of about 750 pounds. When you subtract the weight of the wet and loaded SUV from the GVWR of the SUV, do you still have 750 pounds of unused payload capacity available for tongue weight?

Or another way to say it is divide the unused payload capacity available for tongue weight by 0.13 and the answer is the max weight of any travel trailer you can tow without being overloaded. Guaranteed, it will be a lot less than 5,800 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #7

Thanks to all info in your reply's. I think I will leave the Envoy alone and look for a "real" tow vehicle ....After I decide what I want to tow
Old 01-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvolrvr View Post
I think I will leave the Envoy alone and look for a "real" tow vehicle ....After I decide what I want to tow
Good idea.

When matching RV trailer to tow vehicle, remember that hitch weight of the trailer will probably be the most important spec. But dry hitch weight is meaningless because nobody tows a dry RV trailer.

Calculate max hitch weight of any travel trailer (TT) as 15% of the GVWR of the trailer. If the trailer specs don't include GVWR, then GVWR is the dry weight of the trailer plus cargo carrying capacity (CCC) of the trailer. Most TTs have tongue weight of 12% to 15% of trailer weight. GVWR of the trailer is the max the trailer can weigh without overloading the trailer components, so use 15% of GVWR of the TT to be conservative to be sure you won't wind up on the road overloaded.

Calculate max hitch weight of any fifth wheel RV trailer (5er) as 20% of GVWR of the trailer. Most small to medium-size 5ers have "pin" weight (weight on the trailer kingpin, or hitch weight) of 16% to 20% of the weight of the trailer, and they average about 17% to 18%. So use 20% to be sure you have enough tow vehicle to tow any 5er you might decide on.

After you know the max hitch weight of the trailer you want, then be sure the tow vehicle has enough payload capacity to haul the weight of all the people, tools, and other stuff including a full tank of fuel, as well as the hitch weight of your trailer. Payload capacity on the door sticker is GVWR minus the weight of the empty truck. Payload capacity available for hitch weight is GVWR minus the weight of the wet and loaded tow vehicle ready to tow the trailer.

That's a big difference. My F-150's payload capacity per the sticker is 1,566 pounds, but my payload capacity available for hitch weight is only 550 pounds. So with just me and Darling Wife in the pickup, along with toolbox full of tools, jack for changing a flat on the trailer, and a couple of dogs and additions such as bed rug and camper shell, my small TT that grosses only 4,788 pounds with tongue weight of 588 pounds overloads my half-ton pickup over the GVWR (and payload capacity) of my F-150.

Way back when, my tow vehicle was an F-250 diesel with payload capacity of well over 2,000 pounds. But I was overloaded with my small 5er that had less than 1,200 pounds pin weight.

General rules for matching trailer to tow vehicle:

Half-ton pickup that is not a special-order heavy duty half = max 6,000 pounds GVWR of the travel trailer. Don't even think about a 5er.

Heavy duty half-ton, such as the F-150 with the rare HD Payload package or the GM 1500 HD = max 10,000 pounds GVWR of a TT or 9,000 pounds GVWR of a small 5er.

3/4-ton pickup with 10,000 GVWR = 12k TT if not limited by the tongue weight capacity of the receiver hitch, or 10k 5er

So-called one-ton SRW pickup = 12k 5er

One ton dually pickup = 16k 5er

F-450 will PULL more than the F-350 DRW, but it has the same pin weight limitations, so about 16k is the most 5er you should consider if you don't want to be overloaded over the GVWR of the tow vehicle.

Tags
tow