Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #15

The GMC Sierra 3500 HD with a diesel engine only comes with the 3.73 axle ratio. The GMC 3500 does have a 4.10 axle ratio available but it requires the gas engine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #16

The gas engine needs the 4.10 rear end as it increases the tow rating by 25% with this engine - different power band.

Anyone considering spending around $50k for a new truck for towing should take 10 minutes and read both the "MrTrailer.com reviews for horse trailers, towing reviews, horse trailer accessories,hauler trucks,Summit Hauler, horse trailer accessories,Transwest, horse trailer articles,Horse Trailer Dealer, RV coaches, truck and trailer accessories, trailer rev Hurt Locker tests and the ones done by Car and Drive and published in their April 2012 magazine and available online. The tests involved towing 19000 pound loads up steep grades and down, acceleration for passing tests, braking distances, and other areas of importance. These are very different than the review in the past which involved trucks with no load in the bed and not towing a heavy load.

All three truck manufacturers have had significant engine problems with their diesels over the past 10 years and all three have largely corrected them with 2010 and newer trucks. Problems people are having with older trucks are not relevant to current models.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #17

I researched F-350 vs F-450. The F-450 has a wider front axel so it turns much sharper, it has 15 inch brakes vs 14 inch for the F-350 and has 4:30. I tow 16,000lbs with a 2012 F-450 and really like how it tows. In a few years I plan on moving to a slightly heavier trailer and plan to use the F-450 as the tow vehicle.

The F-450 has a good 'go' pedal and a good 'stop' pedal.

All 2011, 2012 diesel trucks (Ram, Ford, Chevy) have engines that are on steriods.

I would expect any new dually to perform just fine. I picked the Ford because of the factory hitch set-up, the interior and it was white. The Chevy has a more solid frame. I also checked Consumer Reports. The Ford was the only heavy duty truck w/o black marks for the 2011 model year.

I do not like driving the F-450 empty as the 4:30 gearing seems way too low...ugh
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I do not like driving the F-450 empty as the 4:30 gearing seems way too low...ugh
The F-450 is made for hard work. It's not made for long trips without towing something heavy. For that you need my F-150.

We returned from Santa Fe today - over 400 miles in 6.5 hours in the F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew with 3.15 axle ratio. No trailer, but we have a topper and the bed was loaded with stuff. 74 MPH most of the way, and we got 20 MPG for the first 300 miles from Santa Fe to the Texas border near Plains, then it fell to 19 as we stopped going downhill. Pleasure to drive, and passing on a two-lane highway was a breeze.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #19

why no Dodge Ram??
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #20

Ram doesn't have a 4500 with a pickup bed, only cab/chassis, far as I know. I believe the OP was thinking in terms of pickups.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AS a reference pont, my 2012 F350, DRW crew cab, is rated 30,000# GCWR and 13,300# GVWR. With me, the copilot, the hitch, the tool box and full fuel, it scales just shy of 8900#. So the trucks are HEAVY and as for ride, it like a heavy load in the back. Oh and it has a 3.73 axle.

Ken
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Ram doesn't have a 4500 with a pickup bed, only cab/chassis, far as I know. I believe the OP was thinking in terms of pickups.
Joe

Look hard enough, and you'll find one. Not sure where you're located, but there are select Dodge dealers selling them.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Look hard enough, and you'll find one. Not sure where you're located, but there are select Dodge dealers selling them.
Dodge 4500 pickups are not factory assembled pickups. They are factory assembled chassis cabs with an aftermarket pickup body added by an upfitter.

Sam ting for GMC and Chevy, and for Ford F-550 and F-650, and even for Ford "real F-450" pickups with 19.5" tires and 16,000 GVWR.

For Ford, when you order your new chassis cab truck, you tell the dealer to ship it thorough your choice of upfitter that will add the pickup bed, then ship the new completed truck to the dealer. Such an upfitter is called a "ship-thru upfitter". There is no extra freight charge to the customer to ship it thru the ship-thru upfitter. When the dealer sees it, it's a complete truck.

Some big dealers order the special pickups for stock. But very few. Any dealer can do it, but few do it unless they have a history of selling such extra-heavy-duty pickups, usually to the RV or horse-racing or car racing crowd that tows huge heavy race trailers or RVs.

For years before 2008 model year, Manning produced most of the F-450 pickups in their plant just outside the Louisville (SuperDuty) Truck Plant. But the 2008 factory F-450 pickup killed that aftermarket upfitter business for a couple of years, until Ford changed the F-450 pickup to be a glorified F-350 DRW for the 2011 model year. Now the conversion business is slowly coming back as customers realize that a factory F-450 pickup is not a "real" F-450. If you click on "pickup conversions" on the Manning website, you'll get a "page not found" reject. But if you call Manning, last I heard they still make the F-450/F-550 pickups. And I'll bet they still make the GM and MOPAR chassis cab pickup conversions too.
Manning Equipment
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Dodge 4500 pickups are not factory assembled pickups. They are factory assembled chassis cabs with an aftermarket pickup body added by an upfitter.

Sam ting for GMC and Chevy, and for Ford F-550 and F-650, and even for Ford "real F-450" pickups with 19.5" tires and 16,000 GVWR.

For Ford, when you order your new chassis cab truck, you tell the dealer to ship it thorough your choice of upfitter that will add the pickup bed, then ship the new completed truck to the dealer. Such an upfitter is called a "ship-thru upfitter". There is no extra freight charge to the customer to ship it thru the ship-thru upfitter. When the dealer sees it, it's a complete truck.

Some big dealers order the special pickups for stock. But very few. Any dealer can do it, but few do it unless they have a history of selling such extra-heavy-duty pickups, usually to the RV or horse-racing or car racing crowd that tows huge heavy race trailers or RVs.

For years before 2008 model year, Manning produced most of the F-450 pickups in their plant just outside the Louisville (SuperDuty) Truck Plant. But the 2008 factory F-450 pickup killed that aftermarket upfitter business for a couple of years, until Ford changed the F-450 pickup to be a glorified F-350 DRW for the 2011 model year. Now the conversion business is slowly coming back as customers realize that a factory F-450 pickup is not a "real" F-450. If you click on "pickup conversions" on the Manning website, you'll get a "page not found" reject. But if you call Manning, last I heard they still make the F-450/F-550 pickups. And I'll bet they still make the GM and MOPAR chassis cab pickup conversions too.
Manning Equipment
True true. Big Chrysler Dealers w/Mopar Speed shops can order you the bed you see fitted. It's a $7k+ option. There is a demand for 4500 w/pickup bed for trailer towing purposes. Response has been good, so good that Chrysler is thinking of making it am option.

I asked where you were located, because a friend of ours is actually buying (or might have bought already??) a 2012 Dodge 4500 w/pickup bed in Bakersfield for $17k off MSRP!! He should be back with it in the next week or so. Sure it might not be a regular production truck....but that just makes it WAAAY cooler!

Tags
ford, towing