Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #15
Originally Posted by coachmendave View Post
The actual mileage is 13 to 13.6. Far cry from 22. I find the rating to be Very misleading bordering on a whole lot of smoke and mirrors. This dealership has lost a 15 year customer. Service is bad. Unless the problem has a computer code, forget about it!
Maybe a wind vale on the roof to deflect the wind when pulling the trailer. And like the asst service mngr recommended, a flex dryer hose to get 1 MPG. �� But that would most likely void any warranty. Sorry just extremely frustrated.
Look for a used 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL. The mileage is about as dismal as your Tahoe, but the payload and tow capability is quite a bit higher.

I love my 03, but it's getting a bit old and has 305,000 miles on it.

DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
First rule of buying vehicles/trailers: never listen to the salesmen. They don't know much about their products and if they did they'd still lie to get a sale.
You have to do your own research.
Very well said! My sentiments exactly. The only thing they care about is the sale not what you need.

09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #17
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
That's no joke. When I was looking for my truck the salesman was convinced that any of his Cummins powered trucks on the lot could pull 30k. I tried to tell him several times he didn't have a single truck on that lot that was rated for 30,000 and break it down, but he wasn't having it. Started showing me the ram literature (sales brochure in front office) that said "best in class 30K towing." I literally had to walk him through the towing calculator on the website before a fairly weak light bulb started to appear above his head.
After you left I'm sure the bulb burned out and he was right back to the same old line.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #18
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
After you left I'm sure the bulb burned out and he was right back to the same old line.

Oh, I guarantee it!
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #19
Reminds me of that commercial with the Toyota pulling a space shuttle. Yeh, it can do it, but you'll need to pack a lunch if you're going across town.

That 5.3 is really a wimpy motor, and pathetic compared to the 5.7. But, you can do a couple of things to help the situation.

First of all, the motor needs to breath. The truck comes with a partial cold air injection. The air box is good as is, but the plenum takes the air from the box to the intake by way of Bangladesh. Replace that plenum with an air tube from Airaid. This more direct air flow really helps out.

Next, ditch the stock exhaust. If you don't want loud, that's not a problem. Gibson makes a nice cat back system that doesn't rattle the windows, and it opens up that much needed air flow.

Those two things alone will help with the horse's and give a slight bump to the mpg's.

Finally dump the stock computer program. There are quite a few chipset companies out there that will sell you what you need for your truck. Personally, I used a Diablo Intune, most the folks over at the Silverado forums preferred this one, and I'm happy with it.

I'm a data junkie, and I tracked the changes on my truck during the process of modifications. Each piece showed improvements in the performance. From an aesthetic viewpoint, I went from a truck that lost 15 to 20 mph on every east Arkansas hill, to maintaining speed without having to pour fuel in by the gallons. And towing MPG's went from dismal 8-9 up to an average of 10.8.

It'll never be a good ole 350, and you are pushing that truck hard by pulling 6500, but it can be made more comfortable.

jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing