Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

Skyline Owners Group
Good hitch, wrong shank

So, we took the Skyline down to Mt. Rogers Va. 458 miles one way.
The shank is way too long and scrapes and then the sway bars also hit.
i got a shop in town that will rehitch it. Not going back to the dealer.
I know i should not have accepted delivery, but I "trusted" their experience. first time shame on you, not gonna be a second time.
The hitch and shank must weigh 80#. very heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150514_102838.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	94439  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It looks like the trailer would actually benefit from a slightly higher hitch. I'm sure the road with thank you also for not carving grooves in them at every dip!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That's a weight-distributing hitch, and the shank looks to be adjustable. If so, simply unbolt the hitch head and ball mount from the shank and move the hitch head/ball mount higher up on the shank, then bolt it down again. If that's still not high enough to result in a level trailer when the spring bars are tight, then turn the shank over in the receiver so you have lift instead of drop, then minimize lift so you wind up with a level trailer when all hooked up.

You probably don't need a new shank, just somebody with enough brain cells to rub together to properly adjust the shank you have.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While there is one more set of holes above the ones you are using as Smokey pointed out, it still would be dragging the bottom of the shank. I would get a shorter shank and read the manual that came with the WD hitch so you can set it up your self. It is pretty easy to do and will make sure that you can tweak it to perfection.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

You have the extra long drop shank. If you can find someone with a regular drop that needs a long one, do a trade. Yours is more expensive anyway.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #6

Bummer, I just purchased the longer shank
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 AM   #7

They put a long drop shank and a tall ball? This was a dealer?

Must have had pieces, to get rid of.

As others have said, find a good hitch installer.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
While there is one more set of holes above the ones you are using as Smokey pointed out, it still would be dragging the bottom of the shank. I would get a shorter shank and read the manual that came with the WD hitch so you can set it up your self. It is pretty easy to do and will make sure that you can tweak it to perfection.
Smokey has you covered. I would do as he says and move the ball up to the higher holes and if your trailer is sitting level then just cut off the shank at the next hole below the bolt. Not a big deal. I would first turn the shank over and see if at the lowest setting you are riding level. If you are up just a bit you should be OK but you don't want it too high. If this works then you could trim the top end to prevent banging into it all the time.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
if your trailer is sitting level then just cut off the shank at the next hole below the bolt. Not a big deal.
Agreed. AFTER THE TRAILER IS LEVEL WHEN THE SPRING BARS ARE TIGHT THEN Use a new hacksaw metal-cutting blade and cut off the excess metal that's dragging on the ground. Or easier is a cutting torch if you have one.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:17 AM   #10

Where are you from? I have a standard hitch shank from my equalizer hitch I could part with if you are in the Chicagoland area.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would go back to the dealer and insist that they give you the correct shank, and refund you the difference in the price. If it wasn't brand new, then SmokeyWren said it right.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote