Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

Good or bad,2008 Ford Super Duty F-450F450 Crew Cab XLT Pickup 4D 8 ft

Have a chance to buy a 2008 Ford F450 Crew Cab XLT Pickup, Diesel truck. Is there any problems with this model year or engine I should know about?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #2

I would post your question on a diesel forum site like this one. PowerStrokeNation - Powered by vBulletin

I believe you may get more information from them .
Just my humble opinion.
Jim W.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #3

Thank You

Thanks this one was not what I wanted.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The Diesel Stop is another popular forum for Ford trucks.

Additionally, here's a link to a pdf booklet discussing what was new on the Ford for 2008, it might be of some help.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

There are 2 common problems in EARLY model '08 6.4 diesels: radiator leaks and a water pump mod. Other than that, relatively trouble-free. Get the VIN and go to a Ford dealer and ask him to run the OASIS report--that will tell you any/all repairs done at a Ford shop.
And looking over the mentioned websites will give you more info on Ford diesels than you ever thought you needed.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
While most folks seem to be doing ok with their '08-10 6.4 PSD, I'm probably the exception. We've had four breakdowns in 20,000 miles mostly due to fuel injector problems, though the last problem was a broken valve lifter spring which required a new short block and an unexpected three week stay in ND last summer. All repairs were under warranty and Ford was great in getting us back on the road. It's running fine now but I no longer have confidence in it's ability to get us from point A to point B. I'm shopping new trucks right now and even if I end up keeping this one a while longer, it won't be one minute or one mile beyond the factory warranty.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

There are enough problems with the 6.4 that it is being replaced.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
There are enough problems with the 6.4 that it is being replaced.
No...there was a disagreement between the maker of the engine (International) and Ford that led to Ford declining to renew the contract with International for diesel engines. The disagreement was due to warranty claims on the 6.0 diesel engine. The only real problem with the 6.4 was fuel economy, but that was due to the method used to satisfy compliance with EPA regulations.

Ford developed the 6.7 Scorpion diesel engine in-house and now builds their own engines in Mexico. International built engines for Ford in Indianapolis and Huntsville, Alabama. International has since closed their Indianapolis plant, having lost one of their biggest customers for engines, I have a Huntsville engine in my truck and have experienced no major problems with it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
No...there was a disagreement between the maker of the engine (International) and Ford that led to Ford declining to renew the contract with International for diesel engines. The disagreement was due to warranty claims on the 6.0 diesel engine. The only real problem with the 6.4 was fuel economy, but that was due to the method used to satisfy compliance with EPA regulations.

Ford developed the 6.7 Scorpion diesel engine in-house and now builds their own engines in Mexico. International built engines for Ford in Indianapolis and Huntsville, Alabama. International has since closed their Indianapolis plant, having lost one of their biggest customers for engines, I have a Huntsville engine in my truck and have experienced no major problems with it.
A disagreement between parties may very well have been part of the reason for an engine change. However, the 5th wheel forum I am on is FULL of drivers with the 6.4 with problems, many more than Duramax and Cummins owners combined. Ford has had bad luck with thier diesels for the last decade, going from the 7.3 to the 6.0 to the 6.4 to the new 6.7. There is a thread on this forum with pictures of a new 6.7 with serious problems. I'm no engineer, but it seems to me it would make more sense to fix what you have rather than come out with a new engine...over and over.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #10

Which forum is 'full' of 6.4 diesel problems? I am interested in learning of them, as I have a 6.4 myself.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
One of the big problems I would have is the cab has to be removed to work on the 6.4. I did read that Ford has a problem with the 6.0 and 6.4 and decided to build there own diesel. The main problem I got with any of them is the cost.
Tom
Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has been failure free since I got it. 45K miles pulling an 18K 5er. With the last computer update, my fuel mileage got a lot better, 16 solo / 12 pulling.

Gotta keep in mind that the people posting are generally the ones having issues. Not many will post, other than in response to a question like this, that they are extremely happy with their truck. If they did, you would probably see a big difference in the numbers.

If you do some research you will find that the "falling out" between International and Ford had more to it than problems. $$$ played a big part too.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Which forum is 'full' of 6.4 diesel problems? I am interested in learning of them, as I have a 6.4 myself.
Joe
Sent you a PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Sent you a PM.
Since I also have a 6.4, I'd like to know too......