Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2005, 04:18 AM   #1

Still a "Newbie" & after spending hours upon hours reading about towing issues & vehicles I'm as confused as ever. Guess I'm looking for confirmation that my combination of vehicle/tt is OK.

Tow vehicle is a GMC Yukon (not XL) 4x4 w/5.3 engine, 3:73 rear, factory tow pkge, locking diff. Tow components are Reese w/d hitch, Valley friction sway bar & draw-tite brake controller.

Trailer is Trail-Cruiser 26QBH (yes, I know I'm a bit too long on tt) Factory dry wt. is under 3400 lbs. Wgt. of options & propane adds about another 500 lbs. Then I figure less than another 1000 lbs for the 2 of us, 11 lb dog, tools & assorted 'stuff'. I'm now approaching 5000 lbs. Is this doable? Any comments would be most appreciated. Thanx, jodann

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2005, 04:18 AM   #2

Still a "Newbie" & after spending hours upon hours reading about towing issues & vehicles I'm as confused as ever. Guess I'm looking for confirmation that my combination of vehicle/tt is OK.

Tow vehicle is a GMC Yukon (not XL) 4x4 w/5.3 engine, 3:73 rear, factory tow pkge, locking diff. Tow components are Reese w/d hitch, Valley friction sway bar & draw-tite brake controller.

Trailer is Trail-Cruiser 26QBH (yes, I know I'm a bit too long on tt) Factory dry wt. is under 3400 lbs. Wgt. of options & propane adds about another 500 lbs. Then I figure less than another 1000 lbs for the 2 of us, 11 lb dog, tools & assorted 'stuff'. I'm now approaching 5000 lbs. Is this doable? Any comments would be most appreciated. Thanx, jodann

Old 12-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going by the 2002 charts, The max trailer weight for your vehicle is 7,400 #. If you assume that the trailer is weighing about 5,000 # (using 15%) your tongue weight is about 750 #.

Weigh your vehicle loaded with cargo and passengers, ready to tow. Then add on the tongue weight. The total weight should not exceed your GVWR or GAWR of the rear Axel. You should be able to find those values in your owners manual.

You'll probably find that you are OK.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We had a 30 ft trail Light and a GMC 1500 excab, 4X4 5.3 motor and it pulled the trailer very well. The only reason I wanted to get rid of it was there was no where to sit inside that I was confortable and the shower was too small for me. It weighted 5500 lbs. I don't think you will have any trouble. We even towed it in the mountians with no trouble. I got rid of the truck before the trailer because I wanted a fifth wheel and it was just getting time to go.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Make sure that that dry wt includes all options. If this weight is from the brochure it does NOT include them. It also does not include propane, batteries, and water. I would also bet that it is on the light side.

I am glad to see that you already know you are too long - I have a similar rig and have towed both a 21' and now my 22'(23'6" actual) and feel that at 23'6" I am at the maximium for the wheelbase of the Tahoe - not to mention it actually weighs a tad over 5100lbs w/o water. I know it is back there. My old Trail Lite 21' scaled out at 4000lbs w/o water when loaded for camping. I have the same gear in the new AF.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #6

Never use a trailer's dry weight as a measure of your tow vehicle.
Always look at the maximum trailer weight or Gross trailer weight and then see if that is under your tow vehicle's limit.

Best advice is to get it weighed and then you have the acutal numbers, not a guess.

Options like awning(s), air conditioner, spare tire, microwave, full propane tanks will quickly increase your trailer's actual weight over the dry brochure weight even before you add things like groceries, linens and fluids. However, on paper so far you still look good to go with some capacity to spare.

Your 4 wheel drive will sure come in very handy, the first time you get caught in a wet campground.

Congrats on your trailer and Safe Travels,
Mike.