Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #15

I have been using a 21 gallon auxiliary tank in my diesels for 21 years. It is a drop feed line to the truck tank. I added a vent from the truck tank to the top of the auxiliary tank. It's use is to vent the top air in the truck tank to the top of the auxiliary tank. I installed 3/8" lines with ball valves on the drop line. It takes about 1 hour to drop 21 gallons in the truck tank.
So when the truck tank is at 1/2 or lower I open the drop valve. That way the fuel is always lower then the filler cap when draining.
On Ford Forums the discussion was that I could not drop fuel in the tank because the computer would detect a problem. So I installed a solenoid activated valve to control the dropping fuel. I never saw anything happening in 9 years on my 2005 to be alarmed.
I feel the most important line for my system is the vent line. It allows full drain flow without air holdup in the truck tank.
My friend had one installed and the tank was realy slow to drain, therefore the need for a more expensive and approved pump that forces fuel in the truck tank. My vent line saves all that equipment that is a cash cow for installers.
My valued experience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #16

I love my auxiliary tank and while I have the ball valve I have also installed an electric solenoid switch that I usually activate when my truck tank is down to 1/4 tank or so and then over the next 4 hours it will fill my truck tank while I am driving. I don't leave the valve open when my truck tank is quite full as I worry about overflow but to date that has not happened to me. So I am off to Sumas Washington tomorrow to fill both tanks..I enjoy the cheaper fuel in the US that most of you guys enjoy regularly.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #17

Sumas is a lovely area! I was out there last summer for work.

I had an RDS 91 Gallon aux tank / toolbox combo in my dually when I first bought it... loved the idea, but it was too large for me. I have since sold it but I intend to get a 30-40 gallon unit eventually.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #18

Plan to have the RDS 45 gal tank with gravity flow manual valve installed on Friday. Unfortunately my first real chance to confirm it works properly will be when I head out for 1100 mile trip to Colorado with the 5thwheel in two months.

Never really had anyone confirm it but am I correct that if you run with the valve open that the fuel milage read out showing the miles to empty will be affected, since the computer will think the truck is running but not burn any fuel. If that does happen and the mileage function is distorted will the gauge on the main tank still work? Also heard that I might get a check engine light. If all that happens will the calculation reset when you turn the ignition off and then back on?
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #19

Not sure about the Ford, but I have had no problem with my Chevy filling the truck tank while driving. The miles to empty display just slowly increases as I drive! Alex
Old 05-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #20

I have gravity flow on my tank, I need advice on the simplest way to install a inline filter and a electric pump. I don't mind having to turn on a switch under the bed rail if necessary , just need it to be simple and functional.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Porchdog2,
I installed an electric pump and filter on my last truck, I attached it to the side of the bed and run a single wire down through the bed along the frame rail and up to a switch in the cab, along with a light so I knew when the pump was running.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Porchdog2,
I installed an electric pump and filter on my last truck, I attached it to the side of the bed and run a single wire down through the bed along the frame rail and up to a switch in the cab, along with a light so I knew when the pump was running.
Frank

Thanks Frank, I just remembered, I have a 12 volt plug in under the back seat, in a little storage area. Do I need a switch that I can see?. About what kind of flow rate can I expect with a electric pump? .
Old 05-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #23

gregk,
If you use the RDS filler neck flow kit, the tank will gravity feed to the main tank whenever there is room in the main tank to accept flow--this is just how it works.
1) Your truck gauge should show 'full' at all times the aux tank is open to the truck tank; the truck gauge will only drop if a) you use full faster than the line can feed to the truck; or b) the aux tank level is dropping and flow to the truck tank lessens (gravity feed, remember?).
2) If your truck gauge ever begins to show use, then the aux tank is getting lower, but if you stop for any length of time, or overnight, the gauge will show a gain at the next start.
3) The DTE will gradually drop (but get used to higher startout numbers) as fuel is used, but will reset usually with any restart of the truck. If it ever fails to show more DTE after restart, the aux tank is getting low or empty.
4) The MPG will be somewhat distorted off and on, but not in a major way. The truck will adjust but MIGHT get confused as there are several parameters in use that contribute to MPG/DTE, etc. You will get used to this, and it really is not a problem.
4) Overall MPG on any trip, if you want to pencil it exactly, will require that you run a full truck tank one time when the aux tank is empty, and refill it. Total fuel used divided into total gallons used will work--if you try this using aux tank refills only, it will not be right, but probably close.
You probably should not open the truck tank whenever the aux tank is full or near full, and do not leave the truck tank cap off when filling the aux tank.
Way more benefits to having the aux tank than not having it, in my opinion.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Porchdog2,
Yes you need to be able to control the fuel pump from the drivers seat. You have to turn it off when the main tank is full, or you will pump the fuel out onto the ground.
The flow rate depends on what fuel pump that you use., I have the RDS filler neck flow kit on my truck now and it has worked flawlessly for 5 years.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #25

I don't know what would happen if an aux fuel pump would be left on to keep pumping once the main tank it full--the fuel caps nowadays are very tight. But Franka548 is correct, not a good idea to keep the pump running once the truck tank is full.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 AM   #26

I do not understand why so many install inline filters between the aux tank and main tank. After all the fuel continues to be filtered through the OEM system on the truck off of the main tank. It surely would slow the gravity flow. I will store the truck with the aux tank full, and plan to use algiside when it will be stored for a few months. This truck is only used when towing 5th wheel.

I assume the thought is that more filters is better than less filters.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #27

I used a filter while my truck was on warranty. Not now as the system is clean and the truck already has 2.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Porchdog2,
Yes you need to be able to control the fuel pump from the drivers seat. You have to turn it off when the main tank is full, or you will pump the fuel out onto the ground.
The flow rate depends on what fuel pump that you use., I have the RDS filler neck flow kit on my truck now and it has worked flawlessly for 5 years.
Frank
Yes, that is true, I will adjust my install.
Thanks

Tags
advice, tank, fuel