Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #15

I have been using Lucas 5 wheel and slider lube.

Seems to work well. No metal flakes or squeeking.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It depends on what you are towing.

I tow a 30 foot 12,000 lb. rolling garage with very high tongue weight behind my coach.

I always grease the ball with wheel bearing grease. Once I am at my destination, I clean up the ball and tongue with a degreaser. Before I head out again, I put a new coating of wheel bearing grease on the ball.

Why do you see OTR truckers with a generous bead of grease sitting on their "Fifth Wheel" platform before they place the trailer's king pin onto the platform?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Spot on Richard, if you have 3000+ in Tongue Weight, use grease...the BEST I have ever found for slide outs and balls: (There is none better)
Sprockets, Motorcycle Chain, Chain and Sprocket Sidewinder Powersport

Most folks that have only pulled lighter trailers have never seen the damage that can be done to a 30,000 lb Trailer Ball with 3000 lbs tongue weight pulled dry....plus it's not the ball that takes the beating always it's the inside of the coupler being eat up as well...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Grease. It has been known that dry couplers can loosen the nut retaining the ball on the hitch. Extremely unlikely, but I don't want to take the chance.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #18

I use grease. Why not? It's cheap, easy, and helps prevent squeaks, metal wear, and binding. What's the down side? You might get dirty?
I figure if you've got hundreds or thousands of pounds of weight on that "ball and socket" joint and you expect it to pivot it should have some lubrication.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #19

I always use just a lite film of chassis grease...doesnt seem to hurt anything and no squeeks or flaking metal
Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #20

Grease the ball?

I have been using silicone dry lube spray on the ball and up inside the coupler
I also take a piece of Waxed paper out of the pantry Fold it 4 times and wrap over the ball. Hold it in place with a rubber band
When I get to my destination pull the waxed paper off
Throw it away
Start with a new piece for the return trip
No squeeks and no wear and no grease to get on me!
Bonus is that it does not collect Road dust and dirt!
If I had not found this solution I would grease the ball!

RRII