Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Jayco Owners Club
Great truck, lousy service department

I have had my Ram 2500 since July. I am really liking the truck. When I got it, the steering wheel was off to the left about 15 degrees, and it pulled slightly to the left. Within about a week, a problem developed with the ignition key... just that I could not extract the door key from it. I took it to them and left it over night. I got it back with the steering problems not fixed, but I did get a new key. I needed it so it took me about a week to get it back to them. In the mean time I filled out the on-line survey and was not complimentary... When I pulled back in to give them another shot at it, they seemed to know me by name. Again I left it over night. I picked it up the next day, and the assistant manager wanted to take a ride with me. I could tell immediately they had aligned the front end and centered the wheel. The assistant manager said the tech had said he did nothing to it. After considering letting her out along the side of the road, I asked her what motive I could possibly have for inconveniencing myself by bringing it back, and what motive someone else might have for saying he did nothing to it... She got quiet...

A month later I got an indication that the tire pressure sensor in the left rear wasn't working. I took it in. They had to break the tire down and install a new one. I got it back with a huge screw through the tread... in the tire they had broken down. They told me the indicator would go out in a mile or so. When it didn't I checked it and found it had 47 psi instead of the recommended 80. Well, $18- to have the tire fixed, and a call to the service manager, with all his sniveling apologies... but... really???

Now, before some Chebby or Blue Oval lover starts chanting their brand loyalty mantras, these are minor problems, and at a good dealership, would have been handled promptly, and without further hassle. My last Blue Oval had a tranny problem they never could find... or fix. Unfortunately the story isn't over... read on...

We went camping this past weekend. We were 5 hours from home when I noticed the steering was a bit funky. The next morning, the steering wheel was about 70 degrees out of whack to the left. From the steering box arm, there is a large rod going to the spindle on the right side. It has a turnbuckle in the middle for centering the steering wheel. There are 2 large jam nuts, one for each side, to lock it down. My son and I looked at this and the jam nuts had backed off about 3/4" each direction. We were within 3 threads of loosing the steering altogether... and probably our lives. I would normally post an here but this is no laughing matter.

The moral of this story is don't buy a Chrysler product in Weatherford, Texas. I intend to contact Chrysler Corporation about this. I still really love the truck, which, by the way, averaged 14.1 mpg pulling this trip. This dealer's service department, however, needs an overhaul.

Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All dealerships I have dealt with all suffer from the same problem, mechanics who are in training to get a real job at a good service/repair shop. You would think that dealerships would pay extra for good mechanics because service after the sale is what makes for more sales to the same people. Your experience is just an example, after the warranty is off you will go else where for repairs and will never purchase another vehicle from them again.

Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Jayco Owners Club
I'll be going to a different dealership for warranty service from now on... They will not see anything from me except whatever comes down from Chrysler. I'll be calling them tomorrow... not that it will do me any good.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:16 AM   #4
Wow. I'm glad you are safe and found it when you did. Unfortunately that's the norm at many dealerships and other service areas. There are still a few out there that care and take the time to do things right. I would be searching for me another dealership for my service work. Safe travels.

onechaddude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'll be going to a different dealership for warranty service from now on... They will not see anything from me except whatever comes down from Chrysler. I'll be calling them tomorrow... not that it will do me any good.

Good Luck!!!

I had a wonderful DODGE dealer in the area but he only sold the DODGE brand. So when Chrysler had finical trouble in late 08 early 09 they were closed and the brand went to a full service Chrysler dealership down the road.

I went to them one time for an oil change will after a very very heated discussion about how to do an oil change and lube job with them I have never ever been back. I am lucky since I do have two other dealers within 15 to 20 miles of me but I due do my own oil changes and lube job + my own fuel filters both of them, now.

I have filled out numerous surveys from Chrysler early on when I was under warranty and have actual spoken to marketing personnel about this dealership; to date I still will not go back.

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
I too am less than pleased with service department where I bought my RAM2500 this year. Its in a bit of a hick town in N IL. And I think they take clientele for granted given they have few options in the area. Down the tollway 30 miles is a very upscale town (Chicago Bulls and Bears in the town) and my Miata get a flat, and miata's don't carry spares. I pull into the Ford dealer hopping they can do something for me since Mazda had been afiliated with Ford some years ago. The service guy there tells me it will take a few hours to get tire, but gives me a free rental car and 20% discount. I was blown away how this guy went ove the top to help me out when I was some dude showing up with no prior loyalties, by the way price of the tires were fair.

Point to my story, take your truck to some place accustomed to dealing with snooty clientele.
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
I had a very similar experience at a Ford dealership a few years back and also found the costumer satisfaction survey not to be worth the effort.
You're doing the right thing to go public, tell your neighbours, relatives, friends, etc. and simply don't go back.
2013 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch,2014 Trilogy 3650 RL, 8000# axles, disk brakes, I.S., 960 Watt Solar
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Appalachian Campers
As a former GM dealer tech and shop foreman I can fill in some blanks.

The original alignment issue. Heaven only knows how it got out of spec, usually they're pretty straight right off the hauler. Odds are the mechanic checked it, found that it was within spec (They can pull within spec, if the numbers for one side play against the opposite side.) and didn't actually align it, but faked it to get paid. Then, on the return trip his tail likely got crawled and he actually aligned it then they tried to cover it up with the test ride. Not that I've ever caught anyone pulling that stunt.

They do it that way hoping you have no reason to damage their customer satisfaction scores.

The drag link coming loose is just sloppy work I'd expect out of a ticket smoker and I hope you got photos.

As for the TPM, they probably had the oil changer or an apprentice look at it.

Now, here's what you do. First, fill out the customer satisfaction survey. Call the 800 number that will possibly be on the survey. Finally, if you really want to make the service manager wither, see if you can find out how to get in touch with the area service manager.

Don't go to the dealer owner, he'll likely just help gloss it over so that Dodge doesn't find out.

Good luck and let us know how this sorts out!
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
I had an alignment issue with mine, but never went to the dealer for work.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Sounds a lot like a car I bought for my wife. Went back to the dealer for some warranty work and long story short, I even have an e-mail from VWoA telling me the service manager was not telling me the truth. I now go to another dealership that is 150 miles one way from me but they have bent over backwards to accommodate me. Matter of fact I have an appointment tomorrow and the guy I talked to on the phone said I have experienced the same thing. I know just what to do for your car! They even did an alignment because the tech said I think your steering wheel could be straighter.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Mine was out, and the front tires were feathering on the outside after only 1500 miles. I brought it back and told them to fix it. They did, and tire wear is normal now. For the wandering, you are probably going to need a $110.00 front stabilizer brace.
2015 Landmark Newport 365
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
I worked 24 years for another major auto maker. I used to have to take my company car to dealerships for service, and they just about always charged The Company ridiculous amounts for service--especially on brakes.

The manufacturers are picking up the bill for warranty claims, and it's them that have allowed dealerships to operate their service departments like they do.

The only time I will ever see a dealership's service department is if someone else's paying. I can always get service elsewhere at a far more favorable price.

I'm just thankful that I've not had a warranty claim in our last 550K miles driving. I'm carefully choosing the brands and models of trucks/cars our family's driving, and they happen to be the ones with the highest resale value on the retail market.

And with ultra high performance tires on 3 cars, I get a wheel alignment every year--whether they need it or not. Cars eat these tires alive. I finally got my first alignment on my SuperDuty diesel--at 118K miles.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
Jayco Owners Club
The wandering stopped whem they did the alignment. The problem was that the link turnbuckle jam nuts were not torqued. The dealer in Granbury, Texas seems to have a lot on the ball. Even though it's 25 miles further, I'll be taking it there for warranty service from now on. While there, I met another gentleman from Weatherford that had the same problem... minor problems... major service dept. hassles. He said he knew several others...
Old 11-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
Jack, sorry to hear you're going thru the wringer. I've had the same experience with our local GM dealers with two new vehicles, and I did a lot of nodding which reading subsequent posts. I have generally found import car dealers offer a better level of service. The domestics are impressive when you actually want to buy a vehicle, but dealers don't seem to "get it" in the service department. I'm not sure why this is. Obviously there's no brain surgery in offering good service, but it's a rare domestic dealer who provides it.

In another thread someone commented were are in a world economy, with components being supplied from anywhere in the world. I find it interesting that Made in America is prized, and for good reason. Again in generality, US/Canadian manufacturers turn on the service if you have a problem, and go out of their way to keep customers happy. These people are clearly not talking to auto service departments!

The matter is beyond my understanding. I'm an insurance broker by profession....if I don't provide my clients service, they walk - and quite rightly. So why don't more domestic auto dealerships think this way? In the meantime, we vote with our feet - but that apparently, is not loud enough....

Nick B

Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote