RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

Grey Wolf brakes - dealer wrong?

Hi,

I purchased a 22’ Grey Wolf travel trailer last fall and towed it home with my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. When setting the trailer brakes my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 instructions note to drive 20-25 mph and perform a full manual brake activation. You want to dial up the brakes so that the setting is just below where the tires skid.

So here is where my question comes in...I couldn’t get them to skid. The trailer weighs 4200 lbs dry and has a GVWR over 7,000 lbs so I’m concerned. If I loaded it up to 7,000 lbs the braking situation would be even worse (not strong enough to lock them up), let alone at 4200 lbs.

The dealer said I shouldn’t be able to skid the tires and didn’t understand my question as he thought I wanted to drive that way and have them skid at every stop. Should I take it in? Is there grease on them? Any factors that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

geight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #2

Is this a NEW trailer?
New...brakes need to be 'burnished' (worn in)
And probably need to be properly adjusted USED Trailer.......
Need adjusting, need new shoes, need new magnets, need new wiring connections

In other words.....brake job

As for wearing in NEW trailer brakes....
Check out info/procedures

Pg 13...brake adjusting
Pg 11 last paragraph....burnishing brakes
Pg 12 .... synchronizing brakes
https://www.tritontrailers.com/wp-co...XLE-MANUAL.pdf

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #3

Coastal Campers
We are on our third trailer, and while they all stopped just fine, I don't think I could ever lock up the tires on clean dry pavement - maybe on gravel or a wet surface, but not on a good surface.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #4

What boost setting are you using?
Depending on the boost setting on my P3 I used, the brakes would lock up too easy. I towed a 9,000 lb 5er and set the boost to 2 hwy and 1 in town along with around 6.5 for gain.
I used the P3 for 5+ years in my 12 Ram 2500.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A proportional trailer brake controller will not lock up the brakes when only the trailer brake is applied. It senses the rate of deceleration and applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the deceleration.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
A proportional trailer brake controller will not lock up the brakes when only the trailer brake is applied. It senses the rate of deceleration and applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the deceleration.
The procedure calls for MANUAL activation of the brakes with the controller to set the level of braking.

http://www.tekonsha.com/support/installation/N90195.pdf

Adjusting the Power to the Trailer
Brakes (Prior to setting Boost)
Once the control has been securely mounted, it is
necessary to set the power needed to stop the trailer
during a braking event.
1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.
2. With engine running set power (with Power
Buttons) to indicate 6.0
3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved
surface at 25 mph and fully apply Manual Knob.
3 If trailer brakes lock up:
q Turn power down using Power Buttons.
3 If braking was not sufficient:
q Turn power up using Power Buttons.
4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point
just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as
to achieve maximum braking power.
5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed
stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking
is initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch.
When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking
will cease.

Charles
Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And just a couple pages up from what you copied from the manual Tekonsha says essentially the same thing I said.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the replies! Really active forum and looking to contribute as I get on my way and build some experience.

This is a brand new trailer, and I have the boost setting at 1 on the brake controller. As I’m following the instruction manual to set the brake controller I don’t think the boost setting affects how the manual activation performs.

As noted in instructions, I started at 6 and worked my way up till max and I still couldn’t get the brakes to lock up. I’m going to read the instructions to get the brakes broken in as was linked above by Old-Biscuit (thanks!) and give that a shot on my trip in two weeks.

With the additional info I provided, any other thoughts?
geight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The trailer will need more braking force when it's loaded up for a trip than it will when it's empty. You might have to adjust the braking force on your first loaded up trip, but I wouldn't worry too much about how you far up you adjust the brake controller unless you like riding the brakes going down a long hill. If you prefer to downshift to a gear where your engine will hold your downhill speed, the turning the brake setting up won't matter enough to worry about it.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #10

I called Tekonsha (Horizon Global) today and talked with a tech rep. I have a P3 which I have not had an occasion to use except once to get my used TT home. I have been working on the TT since then, but I too wanted to understand the setup of the controller.

The instructions I quoted above are correct for the initial setup of the controller. I was told by the Teknosha technical support person that the inertial switch and proportional control circuitry is totally out of the picture for MANUAL operation of the trailer brakes on the P3. Once you move the manual lever, you are directly applying power to the brakes, UP TO THE LIMIT YOU SET. If you set the limit high enough, you should be able to lock the brakes (during manual application) if they are working correctly. If you lock them up during the setup, the instructions are simple, reduce the maximum voltage setting to a point where they will not quite lock up. Once this is established, you can save this and other settings for this trailer, in memory. You can save settings for up to four different trailers.

Charles
Old 06-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cool, that's great information about the P3 controller.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #12

Honestly. don't worry so much about locking the brakes with the manual lever. How do they feel when you pull the lever? Do they stop you? Do they feel pretty strong, or just barely slow you down. It is really hard to get the TT brakes to lock on pavement with the lever. Mine don't, but do on gravel. They do however feel pretty strong when
I pull the lever. Will bounce your head off the dash if you are not ready. Plus. I have heard them crying just before lock up in a hard braking event.
They are doing their job. So I;m good

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #13

Check brake adjustment on trailer. When I purchased mine a couple years ago, I had the same issue with the prodigy, I finally checked the brakes on the trailer and they were way out of adjustment. Once I set them the prodigy had no problem locking them up

Tags
brake, brakes, dealer