Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #43

I don't like generalized statements of fact with no way to prove them. That said I don't think enough MH owners weigh there rigs and my be putting themselves and others at risk. I don't want more regulation but education by the industry would be a good thing. Every year they add more amenities that add to the weight but do they add axels with more capacity? For the most part I don't think so.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbeatter View Post
On the 1988 Type B MH it was imported from Canada and the wheels were not rated for the vehicle's weight so it failed the NHTSA import rules.
Was this due to a previous owner instaling aftermarket wheels?[/QUOTE]
No, it came from Okanagon that way.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Every year they add more amenities that add to the weight but do they add axels with more capacity? For the most part I don't think so.
Actually they do.
In 2002 the DSDP had a 12,000# axle
In 2003 they went to a 13,200# unit.
Then they went to tag axles
Now they have at least a 14,600# front and a tag on the 43' units.

And naturally, they've added a bunch to the price too!.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #46

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Where did this information come from? I can't speak for other MH drivers, but when I'm loaded and ready to travel, I'm a ton (literally) under my maximum weight.

Also, I hesitate to take weight information seriously from a person who's about to pull a 17,500 pound 5th wheel with a SRW truck. Be happy to discuss numbers with you, but no way you'll be within GCWR limits.
I am aware of the truck rating and the trailer weight.

I assure you I will be within the GCWR when loaded.

Discussions would be more constructive if you approached the issue in a civil manner.

Over and out.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #47

Sorry but for the most part I still don't think so. They have had tags for a long time. How many MH do you see with a residential refrigerator and tile floors and 8000 watt generators added to the same axel used for years. Some may have made changes but many have not. Consumers that are not experienced with the RV business are buying MH with less than 1000 lbs for cargo passanger's and water. Do they weigh there units? Most I'm guessing don't. I stopped at the dealer that I bought mine from and challenged them to do the math on some of there units they have. I truly don't think that the industry takes GVW very seriously and that will invite government intervention that will add cost and weight stops that we do not want.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #48

How would any of us like to be required to stop at weigh stations or be stopped by the weigh masters. I guess that is my point that manufactures and dealers need to take the weight issue more seriously on a MH 5th wheel or trailer. After market is possible and can be done but lets get it right on new units at least.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #49

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Sorry but for the most part I still don't think so. They have had tags for a long time. How many MH do you see with a residential refrigerator and tile floors and 8000 watt generators added to the same axel used for years. Some may have made changes but many have not. Consumers that are not experienced with the RV business are buying MH with less than 1000 lbs for cargo passanger's and water. Do they weigh there units? Most I'm guessing don't. I stopped at the dealer that I bought mine from and challenged them to do the math on some of there units they have. I truly don't think that the industry takes GVW very seriously and that will invite government intervention that will add cost and weight stops that we do not want.
Well, I've been RV'ing since 1957 and I have seen major changes in the rigs over the years. And the lower quality manufacturers may not have made the necessary upgrades, whereas the quality ones have.

Sometimes all it takes is different tires to make a major difference in GVWR or GCVWR. Newmar used 12,000# axles for years but undersized the tires. All they had to do was change from 255/70 22.5's to 275/80 22.5's to add extra capacity.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #50

I think my issue is much to specific to a pertucular manufacture for this discussion. The fact that I'm having to deal with it is BS and makes me a little skeptical of the industry in general. I'm sure you are correct and everyone is building very capable safe MH and I just found the one that wasn't. Everything has changed since 1957 I has born in 57 not sure I'm convinced that means anything.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #51

A direct quote from the FMVSS:

“The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.”

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #52

Like I said before and am sick of people assuming I'm a idiot. The yellow cargo capacity sticker clearly stated that the cargo capacity is 2880lbs. The mistake I made was believing it. I have a MH with a front axel GVAW on the front of 10500 lbs. the tire capacity is 10410 the MH empty no passengers no water nothing but fuel and a set of &$@& keys and the front weigh 10200. I'm to &@$& fat to drive my MH. So I guess that's my fault. I retired medically and thought look at all those cool MH looked around and because I don't have as much money as I planed on at retirement I guess I bought what I deserve and the whole RV industry is off the hook. I guess I should have just driven it and never weighed it and been happy. I guess if I had owned MH for the last 55 years I would have known better.
BS if they don't stand begins this I will raise more hell. I have talked to some of the top suspension people in the business and they can not believe what is put in MH and sold to unsuspecting customers.
Sorry that last comment kinda ticked me off.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #53

And who the hell is FMVSS?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #54

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57
and who the hell is fmvss?
federal motor vehicle safety standards

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK, I'm done with this thread.

OP has an issue, I've tried to help here and with PM's but it doesn't seem to be helping.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #56

Hi

In defense of drfife.

The 2013 GM light duty trucks have been upgraded with many changes. The DRW 3500 Duramax is rated at 30,500 Lbs. GCW. Re moving the capacity of the DRW may well not bring this rating down enough to make the unit over weight.

We are working on purchasing a new Excel and have looked into the 2013 GM light duty trucks. I prefer (not require) the DRW but my 2009 DRW 3500 Duramax will not pull the Excel without being over weight. The 2013 DRW 3500 Duramax will have weight to spare.

3665RE