Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
Slow your roll, what about if he decides down the road to get a bigger trailer? Maybe a big fifth wheel? I'm sure just about everbody on this forum has changed their mind or have done a trailer upgrade, I'm making advance recommendations for perhaps a future purchase so he doesn't get pigeonholed.

If you want to laugh or cry I really could careless, that's why I stated "in my opinion".
I see what you guys are thinking here. Plan ahead for upgradeitis. No way I'm getting a 1-ton dually but I can see where a 2500 makes sense to give me some wiggle room for a larger trailer in a few years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #58

2500 for sure. 4:10 rearend. 6.2 engine. 4whd personal choice.cant justify, or feel the need. Several thousand more than two wheel plus the add expense of maintaining and feeding.IMHO.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #59

Quote:
I think the OP wanted an answer to his/her question, not a dissertation.

A few bloviators here...wow!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #60

No question the 3/4 ton would be better because if you buy another trailer later it will be heavier and the 1/2 ton will be too small.
Some will suggest that you should go with a F550 with the diesel because you may end up with a New Horizons 5th wheel and you will need the size and power.
It is good to try and predict how heavy you will realistically go in the fixture and purchase accordingly.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO View Post
I see what you guys are thinking here. Plan ahead for upgradeitis. No way I'm getting a 1-ton dually but I can see where a 2500 makes sense to give me some wiggle room for a larger trailer in a few years.
I have a 2017 F-250 Diesel with a GVWR of 10,000. In regards to a travel trailer, I can safely tow just about anything on the market and be well within my weight limits...A fifth wheel is where the limits come, I would be limited to a trailer pin weight of around 1500lbs, this is usually in the 30-32 foot range, maybe a little bigger if you get into the "lite" models, but the 1500lb pin weight is pushing my GVWR to the maximum.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #62
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
The only thing a 1/2T pu is good for is hauling yard waste to the dump. Nothing else.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #63

Quote:
I have a 2017 F-250 Diesel with a GVWR of 10,000. In regards to a travel trailer, I can safely tow just about anything on the market and be well within my weight limits...A fifth wheel is where the limits come, I would be limited to a trailer pin weight of around 1500lbs, this is usually in the 30-32 foot range, maybe a little bigger if you get into the "lite" models, but the 1500lb pin weight is pushing my GVWR to the maximum.
My F250 had a payload of 2148 lbs....much less than would be expected
Old 08-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #64

Anything over 6000 is too heavy for a half ton no matter what any dealer says or people who like to push their luck and skimp on a tow vehicle. First time you have to stop quick or slow quickly on a downhill with a corner you'll realize why you don't tow over 6k with a half ton...
Old 08-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Anything over 6000 is too heavy for a half ton no matter what any dealer says or people who like to push their luck and skimp on a tow vehicle. First time you have to stop quick or slow quickly on a downhill with a corner you'll realize why you don't tow over 6k with a half ton...
Yep, 89sandman sums it up right there.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
dern...should've left that pillow at home...
just because you are not comfortable with it, does not mean, others are also not. There are such a variety of vehicles out there, and every one is different. If you have situations, how you described and a trailer starts living his own life, it doesn't matter, what tow vehicle you have.
I can tell you, what the most issues are: lack of maintenance.
brakes are replaced, when they start making noises
shocks? as long as they're not leaking- they're fine
Springs? what should be wrong with springs- they last a lifetime
brake fluid? I thought it's a lifetime fill
bushings? I thought you need to replace them, when it starts squeaking
WHAT? I GOT TO DO ALL THAT WITHIN 100K MILES ON A 50K TRUCK?

If everything is correct and maintained, good hd shocks, if not equipped- upgraded with progressive springs and everything else in good maintenance, there is no problem to pull up to 8000#. period. I'm very comfortable with it- but yeah- might be just me- but when I travel with camper, I stay within 60-65mph.

And if I see your picture and if that's real, your truck is sagging in the rear a little too much for my taste- are you sure, you load it right? or is it "just the perspective"? regardless if it's yours or not- I would not even leave the driveway with such a setup. not in the 70's and not today.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #67

Half or 3/4 ton; Help deciding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
The only thing a 1/2T pu is good for is hauling yard waste to the dump. Nothing else.

LOL

I say the same thing about short bed trucks, but then you are really limited on how much yard waste you can haul to the dump!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #68

A 1500 with MTP and the 6.2 should do well with this trailer as long as he (and wife)doesn't go crazy loading things. The biggest challenge will be keeping tongue weight down with the already 13.3% dry tongue weight. If it were my choice I would go with the 3/4 ton over the 1/2, it will give that extra safety factor which is a good thing. Regardless of which truck you choose, good common sense behind the wheel is the best safety net you can have.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #69

Surpised no one has suggested a Peterbuilt yet.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I've seen said also that 1/2-ton trucks are really meant for boats and small cargo trailers and not much else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
One thing the OP has not talked about is his plans of use. I know ORV are great TT, but they are heavy. If your only planning on using it 3 to 4 trips a year is it overkill? There are other good choices that aren't as heavy.
My wife and I have owned some type of rv for 27 years. One thing for sure rv's have gotten bigger and bigger.
Our mindset when it comes to rv's, simpler is better.
Just remember that the truck will be used full time while the TT will be used part time. Get the truck you would rather drive everyday and get the TT that works with the truck you've chosen.
Just my .02
Good point! I'll estimate about 10 multi-day camping trips a year. Two in each the spring and fall and maybe 6 over the course of the summer. That's an estimate as I'm sure some years will be less based on what's going on in our lives. We like state parks, national park campgrounds, off-the grid camping, BLM... so just about all types. Something to think about for sure: should I go lower in the ORV product range and get one of the Creekside models with bunks and save quite a bit of weight? That would make a 1/2 ton more practical and make my daily commute (read: unloaded) more comfortable and cheaper than a 2500.
Closed Thread