Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #15

I say it's about time. We've seen great success with the VW turbo-diesel cars getting near 50 MPG and lasting for decades. Ford sells a diesel version of their compact cars in Europe that gets terrific mileage too, but the EPA will not allow them sold in the U.S. There is a reason European nations prefer diesel fuel over all other fuels, hopefully the U.S. is waking up.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I say it's about time. We've seen great success with the VW turbo-diesel cars getting near 50 MPG and lasting for decades. Ford sells a diesel version of their compact cars in Europe that gets terrific mileage too, but the EPA will not allow them sold in the U.S. There is a reason European nations prefer diesel fuel over all other fuels, hopefully the U.S. is waking up.
The EPA will not allow them in their current form. It would cost more to make them US compliant for emissions. We had a corporate meeting last winter at Ford and this was discussed. The engineers stated that the number of projected units sold would not compensate for the extra cost in development. VW was discussed and they actually had the numbers sold for comparison.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The 3.0l turbodiesel in the 2014 Ram is rated 240 BHP/420 lb-ft torque and a 9,200 lb tow rating. It uses the same basic 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic (ZF) that's currently used behind the Pentastar V-6 and the Hemi.

For comparison, the standard (non-HO) Cummins 5.9L diesel fitted to the Ram 2500 and 3500 in the late 1990s and early 2000s was rated 235 BHP/460 lb-ft torque, so the smaller, lighter 3.0L V-6 turbodiesel isn't giving much away to the previous diesel powerplant in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks of a decade ago.

Not everyone needs the capabilities of a 385 BHP/850 lb-ft diesel with a 37,000 lb GCWR as found in the 2014 Ram 3500 dually, but I hope that the people that buy them understand the limitations of a 1/2 ton truck and understand that's what they're buying.

Rusty
Ford doesn't need a half ton diesel as the twin turbo Ecoboost is a diesel specked engine that runs on the cheaper gas. It has that dodge thing beat in every category and will probably be just as fuel efficient as the dodge. And probably less money to buy and maintain. And Ford has put so much into the Ecoboost in R&D that they can't afford to give up on it this soon. And diesels gel up in cold weather, you have to add DEF now and it is expensive to buy and a PITA to have to use two different fuels.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #18

The one thing about the Nissan is it is going to be a true cummins in the fact that it is going to be same engine available for other purposes. The dodge b cummins is exactly that a dodge engine built for dodge it is different that the b you find in motorhomes
Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshell56118 View Post
The one thing about the Nissan is it is going to be a true cummins in the fact that it is going to be same engine available for other purposes. The dodge b cummins is exactly that a dodge engine built for dodge it is different that the b you find in motorhomes
VF-44 injector pumps.
Killer dowel pins.
The dreaded #53 block casting. Seeing a lot of similarities , Dodge to MH.
What , makes you say they're different?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Smoky, that should be good news for lots of folks! Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #21

Ford sells a redesigned Ranger all over the world except US and Canada. It has 3 available diesels, 2 4's and a 6. Its size is similar to the GM midsize and can tow up to 10000 some pounds.
Reason not sold here is it will compete and win sales from F150.
It's a game of numbers and customers loose.
EPA in America has been way off on their numbers that makes diesels look worst. Europe has it right for the last 40 years and we also end loosing.
The last Rangers in my area were a great seller and are badly missed. I had 2 of them and did more work with the little trucks then I done with my 3/4 tons aside from towing a heavy RV.
The large cabs are now required for dogs. We use to travel our pets in the box of truck where they did belong. The one reason for a bigger truck.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

VF-44 injector pumps.
Killer dowel pins.
The dreaded #53 block casting. Seeing a lot of similarities , Dodge to MH.
What , makes you say they're different?
The gear train is front gear on dodge along with dodge ECM

MH have rear geartrains cummins ECM

There are also little differences on other items but those are 2 biggies
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshell56118 View Post
The gear train is front gear on dodge along with dodge ECM
MH have rear geartrains cummins ECM
There are also little differences on other items but those are 2 biggies
I really don't know how to respond, to your misunderstanding of the engine orientation in the frame of a pick up vs the 180 degree , different mounting in a DP, MH installation.
Except maybe , check the location of #1 cyl. in both installations.
If you examine an electronically controlled , Cummins engine in a Dodge P/U , below the intake manifold , you will find a Cummins , supplied ECM.
The Cummins ECM , controls engine functions, and the ECM, communicates with the Dodge ; Powertrain Control Module, on the firewall ; and the PCM, then controls the rest of the drivetrain, and supplies info to the dash for gauge operation. Trucks newer than 2008 may also have a separate Transmission control module . I retired in 2007 after 34 years at Dodge dealership, the last 14 working on Cummins, so any changes since then , I'm not really aware of.
The Dodge , Cummins engine ran a different, ECM program, and injectors, to control engine power, due to transmission and differential strength limits.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
The report that I read stated that the 3.0L V6 in the Dodges is made by Italian VM Motori, which GM owns 50%, but GM was waiting to see how the market responds.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It appears that Fiat is going for the whole VM Motori enchilada.

VM Motori ownership article released September 23, 2013:

Quote:
Ownership of VM Motori, the Italian maker of the V6 diesel engines offered in the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500, is currently split 50/50 between General Motors and Fiat.

GM bought half of the company in 2007 from Penske Corp. and Fiat bought the other half two years ago. Over the weekend, Fiat released a statement indicating that GM now wants to sell Fiat it’s share of the diesel manufacturer, ”GM’s notification to exercise its put option to sell to Fiat its 50 percent interest in VM Motori is in line with the contracts Fiat entered into when it acquired a 50 percent stake in VM in 2010.” Though GM is relinquishing their stake in VM Motori, it’s still possible that they may source diesel engines from the Cento, Italy company. Fiat controls Chrysler and the Detroit automakers have a recent history of collaboration, as in Ford and GM developing transmission together. The deal on VM Motori is expected to close by the end of the year.
Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Ford doesn't need a half ton diesel as the twin turbo Ecoboost is a diesel specked engine that runs on the cheaper gas. It has that dodge thing beat in every category and will probably be just as fuel efficient as the dodge. And probably less money to buy and maintain. And Ford has put so much into the Ecoboost in R&D that they can't afford to give up on it this soon. And diesels gel up in cold weather, you have to add DEF now and it is expensive to buy and a PITA to have to use two different fuels.
The diesel would win on resale value alone. Yes, the ecoboost has similar performance, but performance comes at a cost. I've had turbos (gas and diesel for years) and I bet Ford is pushing the longevety limits with that engine. I would never buy one with high miles.
As to fuel economy, we'll wait and see. Real-world performance for a diesel requires 10-20,000 miles of breakin. Won't see these numbers from the EPA ratings or magazine tests. I have heard from several friends with ecoboosts who are not happy with real-world MPGs.
As to cold weather, modern diesels are fine to -10 or 20 F or so. Not an issue for most people. Mine has a heater in the fuel filter, so it's never been an issue. Even in Canada in the winter.
Ford recommends Premium, which costs more than diesel! Yes, it will run on regular with retarded timing and knocking(pre-detonation), poor fuel economy, less performance etc. See above thought on high mileage and longevity.
This is especially true in the context of towing under sustained heavy load.

With premium,I'm sure it's a great daily driver, though.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
The diesel would win on resale value alone. Yes, the ecoboost has similar performance, but performance comes at a cost. I've had turbos (gas and diesel for years) and I bet Ford is pushing the longevety limits with that engine. I would never buy one with high miles.
As to fuel economy, we'll wait and see. Real-world performance for a diesel requires 10-20,000 miles of breakin. Won't see these numbers from the EPA ratings or magazine tests. I have heard from several friends with ecoboosts who are not happy with real-world MPGs.
As to cold weather, modern diesels are fine to -10 or 20 F or so. Not an issue for most people. Mine has a heater in the fuel filter, so it's never been an issue. Even in Canada in the winter.
Ford recommends Premium, which costs more than diesel! Yes, it will run on regular with retarded timing and knocking(pre-detonation), poor fuel economy, less performance etc. See above thought on high mileage and longevity.
This is especially true in the context of towing under sustained heavy load.

With premium,I'm sure it's a great daily driver, though.
Don't know where you received your Ecoboost fuel recommendations but they are incorrect. 87 is what is recommended. Right out of the owners guide "
3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended"

While premium can be used for increased performance, it is not needed. Either is recommended. Not sure where you get better fuel economy from the use of Premium, but that is also incorrect. Premium fuel does not increase MPG but it does help with performance due to a more aggressive tune which usually related to less MPG because of the right foot.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I wouldn't get all crazy about the Eco boost. Read this. EcoBoost Stalls Ford (10/28/13)

Ford drop to 20 something in reliability.

Ram jumped 6 spots.

Tags
diesel