Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Yeah, Rusty is passionate about weights. But we have to remember that a lot of newbies (myself included) sometimes have a tendency to read stuff on forums about what seasoned vets may tow and therefore assume they are ok without really understanding how to really figure out if their TV and trailer are within manufacture specs. Folks like Rusty may just save a newbie (or even a seasoned vet) a lot of headaches, or better yet, a life.

When I was a child, my mother used to nag me all the time to brush my teeth. At the time, I too thought "enough already". As I've grown, I have come to appreciate that she probably saved me from a cavity or two. So, let's actually appreciate that folks like Rusty may actually be making the roads a little safer for all of us.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's sad but there will always be some folks who will still throw caution to the wind regardless of what educated facts/studies show and instead listen to those that have chosen to follow a foolish and irresponsible path of towing anything that has not been supported by facts. They either cannot or will not look at the "BIG" picture when it involves towing anything safely, according to the manufactures specs but instead choose to let what I call the "me first" attitude prevail or because someone else said they have done it so it must be ok. It is to the benefit of all members of this forum that we have people like RustyJC and other knowledgeable folks who take the time to share their knowledge of rving and to help us do it safely for the size of vehicle you are using.

04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ok, let's try to keep this thread on topic: members posting what they have. Consider it like the New Rig Show-Off Forum, but for 1/2-tons.

Although there's nothing wrong with being informed on towing specs. As a matter of fact, it's quite important, especially for safety. However, this thread isn't about that. If the 1/2t members want input on towing, it can be discussed in another thread in another Forum.

Now, back to our originally scheduled programming (topic).

Thank you,

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #31
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3.92 towing a 2008 Gulf Breeze 29bhs. Dry weight of 6000# and a loaded weight of #6700. Pulls and handles extremely well!
2011 Coleman 267BH Fifth Wheel - Traveling Camper
2011 Chaparral 330FBH Fifth Wheel - Seasonal Camper
2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi - 3.73 Axle
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #32
I would like to start by saying that I I own a 2013 Coachman 310BHDS freedom express, Liberty Edition. This trailer weighs 7300lbs and all loaded up and ready to camp is around 8100lbs. I tow this bunkhouse with a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. 3.92 rear diff and all the heavy duty towing options that Ram has to offer. I have added air lift 1000 airbags to the truck which has helped out with the rear sag and balance. I also use an equalizer 12000 weight distribution hitch. The truck pulls the trailer without any issues, however I don't push the truck and I travel at speeds no greater than 65 but most of the time we travel at 60 MPH. The truck is rated for 10.000 LBS tow capacity and a payload of approx 1300. If you are safety minded and know your limitations all will be good. Sure a heavier duty truck would be better but at what costs. Most people tow their trailers 3 to 5 times a year. Not quite worth the thousands of dollars in additional expense.
snapper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #33
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L 8 speed 3.92s. Pulling a 2007 Jay Feather 254 EXP 26' 5500lbs ready to camp. No HD model truck needs in our future for that dinky little trailer since the youngins are all but ready to leave the nest. For now we just babysit our weight, and most importantly- enjoy the time we have with the kids
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #34
Thor Owners Club
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Cheers to ya! Uniting still doesn't make it safe if it isn't. Know your numbers! I towed a 26' toy hauler with a GMC 1500 Z71 extended cab with tow package. Trailer is 9,200# loaded to go. GMC was 5,500# plus passengers and dog. 26' is pushing the limits of half ton trucks - not because of weight, but the cross wind effect of so long of a trailer. The feeling you get towing at or near limits isn't worth it. Doing so isn't recommended because we don't know your skill level (or that of a newby coming here looking for advice) and a truck large enough may overcome what they encounter.
I agree. You can see my configuration below. The dry weight of the 5er is 6770 lbs., and the dry weight of my Silverado is 7300 lbs. It is a lot more stable with the heavier truck.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #35
Good grief ...give the nonsense a rest folks like the adm requested or start your own 1/2 ton bash thread.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #36
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Good grief ...give the nonsense a rest folks like the adm requested or start your own 1/2 ton bash thread.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #37
Back to the original post:

2013 F150 SuperCrew, 2wd, EcoBoost, 6.5' bed, Max Tow + HD Payload
GVWR: 8200 lbs
Actual Payload (per yellow data tag): 2428 lbs
Curb Weight (GVWR-Payload):5774 lbs
GCWR: 17100 lbs

My reasoning for staying with a 1/2 ton was the ability to park in the garages in the Texas Medical Center. Most do not accomodate a 3/4 ton due to height restrictions and turning radius capability.

People, Accessories and Hitch weight: 600+100+250 = 950 lbs
I am estimating the people weight high, as those kids don't seem to get any smaller and I was planning for another 5 years with this truck.

Soon to be Trailer:
2014 Puma 295BHSS
Advertised UVW: 7869 lbs
Advertised Pin Weight: 1073lbs ; % Pin Weight = ~14% (actually 13.6%)
Actual Delivered Weight: 8469lbs + 120 lbs for full propane tanks + 40 lbs for battery = 8529 lbs
Guesstimated weight with our stuff + 20 gallons of fresh water: 9500 lbs
Guesstimated Pin weight: 1330 lbs (14%)

Final Numbers:
Truck Final weight with pin: 5774 + 950 + 1330 = 8054 lbs
Combined Vehicle Weight: 5774 + 950 + 9500 = 16224lbs

Everything hits the "legal weights" with room to spare (though not much on GVWR). If I was pulling this combo every day, or full timing, it would not be ideal. But for the 9-10 weekend trips + 1 week vacation per year, it will do just fine. We will need to keep an eye on what goes into the trailer, but I estimated "our stuff" 250lbs high to allow for some weight creep and "vacation weight". I will say, we were very selective when we were looking at Fifth Wheels. We were limited to 3-4 bunkhouse fifth wheels due to pin weight (Keystone Xlite 27SAB/27 BHS and Prowler P26/P275). I was nervous about stability of the Puma due to the lighter than normal pin weight, but BIL has the same trailer and it tows with no issues (he got trial by fire on his first tow with 20 mph cross wind gusts on the interstate with the big rigs).
stwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:08 AM   #38
03 f 150 4.6 TT 2013 eclipse Milan 18cklsg.
nvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #39
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Half Ton Tow Vehicle Owners Unite!
Lots of discussion here on tow capacity of 1/2 ton trucks. So I thought it might be fun for owners of 1/2 tons to post what truck they have and what they tow with it!

We have a 2012 F150 V8 3:73 axle, and a 2014 JayFlight 24FBS.

I like that a good deal of the trailer manufactures post what their units weight "as delivered". But it is a good idea every year to go over all the "stuff" we RVers stuff into the back of cabinets that is really not used. Every year I'll evaluate what I need, and take out unused stuff.

Always have to think about how much extra's are loaded in the tt or tow vehicle like firewood, bikes, chairs, pop, water and beer. Most trips I'll put my inflatable kayak in.

Having the new Tundra I'll be able to load the bikes and firewood in the truck and take a little weight off the tt. I think the Tundra is rated at 1700 lbs cargo cap. So minus the 3 passengers I could load the bed with firewood and be fine.

1/2 tons have come along way the last 10 years. Better frames, better and more balanced suspensions, great strides in upping the HP and torque in both V-6 and V-8 engines.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #40
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

Having the new Tundra I'll be able to load the bikes and firewood in the truck and take a little weight off the tt. I think the Tundra is rated at 1700 lbs cargo cap. So minus the 3 passengers I could load the bed with firewood and be fine.
The tongue weight of the TT is part of that cargo weight rating! 1700# - 360# (3 passengers w/ avg weight of 120#ea) = 1240# cargo weight

1240# - 750# (IDK - just guessing a tongue weight - yours may be more or less) = 490# (or LESS) left for firewood and bikes.

More accurately though is GVWR minus curb weight (including driver, passengers, and a full tank) = cargo capacity 'which includes tongue weight'. AND, RAGWR should be watched here too.

OMG! I'm becoming part of the Weight Police? No, just pointing out some numbers and things to watch.

If you are comfortable towing with your setup and get close to your numbers, check tire weight limits as 1/2 tons come with P-metric tires and may be the limiting factor for your truck. By changing to LT tires of the same size, you may be a little safer than with P tires. Towing close to limits can cause heat buildup, premature wear and failure of parts. Use your knowledge and skills to access weather or not your truck can handle it. Upgrade springs or add them, or air bags if needed. Stock towing package or additional coolers for oil and transmission can be added. Trailer brakes and a controller are required for trailers over 3000# here in Florida.

I'm not a 1/2 ton hater - that's all I had until I got my "new to me" 2006 Dodge 3/4 ton last July. 1/2 tons are very capable with knowledge and skill (ie; experience). Two of my old trucks would tow without worry. I miss my last truck, a 2004 GMC Z-71 extended cab with tow package, and my old 96 F150 extended cab w/300 I6 and 5 speed and 3.73 gears. Both would (one did) tow what I have now. I have a toy hauler that is 27' and 9400#. It would be past their limits and would wear me out paying attention to every detail while towing. I towed overweight for 2 years, but limited myself to towing within 2.5 hours of home and ONLY in flat Florida, after upgrading tires. Everything else was good per my experience and best estimate. Nothing ever failed on my truck.

All I am saying is KNOW WHAT YOU TOW - know your numbers, do not guess. A little over with experience probably will be OK. Without experience, a bigger truck can CYA (cover your ...). If you have unsure feelings, check out upgrading, I did, and now I enjoy towing my TT even more, and now I can go to the mountains if I want, without worrying about IF my trailer is too much for my truck.

To anyone coming here for advice on "IF or CAN I" with a 1/2 ton - it is better to advise more truck than less, IF you are close with numbers because we all ADD stuff to our trailers that makes them weigh more.

Safe towing make for HAPPY CAMPERS weather you tow with a car, SUV, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton or bigger!
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #41
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Well said.
I towed a 5600 lbs 5th wheel with a 1/4 ton Ranger for 3 years all over the eastern states and it was a great combination. Within the trucks specs.
Towed same unit with a 1/2 ton GM diesel. Was fantastic and moved on to 3/4 tons with much heavier units.
Please tell me more about the 1/2 ton GM diesel. I have been looking for one of those for years.

2014 American Eagle 45N
Spartan Liberty Chassis
dfunde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #42
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The tongue weight of the TT is part of that cargo weight rating! 1700# - 360# (3 passengers w/ avg weight of 120#ea) = 1240# cargo weight

1240# - 750# (IDK - just guessing a tongue weight - yours may be more or less) = 490# (or LESS) left for firewood and bikes.
My tt is rather tongue heavy for a 25' hybrid. most likely 600 lbs. The 4Runner with the DW hitch did a great job in keeping things level. Measuring the the wheel well height it was 1/2" lower both front and back after hooked up. The new Tundra can only give me more flexibility on what to bring. The 6 speed tranny will help in lower rpm's traveling.

Wasn't many choices for SUV's for tow vehicles, so decided a 1/2 ton truck would fit the bill for hauling stuff. The full size SUV's were just too $$$. The only down side is it will not fit in the garage as the old SUV did.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote