Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Have not towed with my new Tundra (2014) yet. My 25' tt I have towed with my V-8 4Runner and was averaging 11 mpg was getting 12 mpg on the older 24' tt.

With the 6 speed tranny in the Tundra I would be real happy to get back to 12 again. The Runner only had a 5 speed, which for the most part would stay in over-drive at about 1800 rpm's.

Anyone tow a 5000-5100 lb tt with the 5.7L Tundra? Wonder what the rpm's are at going 58-60 mph. The sweet spot for the 4Runner was at 58 / 59 mph., over 60 it would drop a gear (2300 rpm's) to keep up the speed.
You'll be lucky to get 12 mpg in the tundra without the tt. lol.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #72

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
You'll be lucky to get 12 mpg in the tundra without the tt. lol.
What ?

Took a 20 mile freeway ride and averaged 20 mpg keeping it under 65. It's just the stop & go traffic in the city that kills the mileage. Going in, I knew the city mileage was not going to be good. But the main use will be to tow my RV trailer and haul stuff. I have had it since mid January and only have 500 miles on it.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #73

I agree I don't think the Tundra will get 12mpg with TT in tow. But it will be beast doing it. I'd say 9-10mpg.

Anyway I have a 2005 Keyston Zeppelin 242 UVW 3600 and about 4500lbs ready to go. Was towed by a 2005 V8 Buick Rainier and now a 2003 suburban 1500. Longer wheelbase of the burb makes towing a breeze and surprisingly returned about 1mpg better while doing it and that was in the Texas hill country
Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #74

happy camper

My TT is a 2012 Coachman 32' freedom express liberty edition with a dry weight of 7200lbs. I tow with a 2014 1/2 ton silverado high country with a 5.3L engine, 6 speed auto, 3.43 axle. The salesman talked me out of a 3/4 ton and also the new 6.2 L engine. He stated and although the 6.2L has a lot of torque, Gm recommends premium fuel and it is getting only about 12 MPG. He reasoned that most of my driving would be pleasure and not towing that I would be happier with the half ton. He was right.
My Silverado averages over 20 mpg in regular driving with a high so far of 24.1 over a 40 mile distance according to the fuel computer. A 120 mile trip yesterday with heavy construction traffic both ways, it showed 23.1 Mpg average when I got home. It averaged 9.0 MPG towing the TT from Indiana to Gatlinburg Tn and back. It tows very stable with very little sway, mostly noticeable when the wind blows. Trucks move it around a little, but needs very little steering correction. I once overtook a truck and pulled out in the fast lane to pass as he began to accelerate over the crest of a hill. Determined to complete the pass, I also accelerated because I wanted to see just how fast the truck could go with the trailer comfortably. I still do not know because at 80MPH, I left the truck behind and pulled back into the slow lane to let other traffic by and slowed back down to my 65MPG cruising speed. At 80mpg, I felt comfortable and could have went faster. It is very stable. The only time I have experienced the "white knuckle" feeling is during strong winds. The 2014 with the extra HP and torque has been very satisfactory. One note I would like to mention is that the transmission runs in 4th and 5th gear while towing, never in 6th gear. I keep it limited to 5th with the manual shifting feature. I also pull an 16 ft enclosed trailer and a 6000 lb bobcat on my corn pro 20 ft trailer with no issues except wind resistance on the enclosed trailer similar to the TT.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #75

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingw2001 View Post
Rusty, enough is enough. You are the biggest Debbie Downer I have ever witnessed. I can't go on a single tow vehicle thread without you bashing someone's choice of tow vehicle. From all your opinions it sounds like the only trailer that anything less than a DRW 1 ton diesel can pull is a 5x8 utility trailer (of course it will first need to be weighed loaded with family, dogs, q-tips, toilet paper etc.) Am I the only one that is sick and tired of this?

Amen...Where is the like button!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #76

I towed a small U-Haul with my 1958 F-100. Good thing the trailer was small.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #77

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
What ?

Took a 20 mile freeway ride and averaged 20 mpg keeping it under 65. It's just the stop & go traffic in the city that kills the mileage. Going in, I knew the city mileage was not going to be good. But the main use will be to tow my RV trailer and haul stuff. I have had it since mid January and only have 500 miles on it.
My 2007 averages about 10 to 12 towing. Depends on the headwinds and grade. I once got 14.5+ at 60 Mph downhill with a tail wind and 9.3 uphill into the wind. My sweet spot is 55 (less drag from the TT). Anything above 60, the MPG goes down (very,very) quickly. I average 19.5 at 65 mph not towing. I drive very conservative even with the SC.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #78

Robyn, in your last post you mentioned you tow with a 07 SC Tundra. I have a 2011 CM and tow a Jayco 28BHS. While it looks big and heavy the TT weighs 5300 pounds empty and my recent scale visit shows 7000 pounds ready to travel loaded. I am so incredibly impressed with the power, stability and confidence these trucks provide. May I ask how long you have been running the SC on your 5.7?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #79

Mine is in the signature line, however I would add that the GMC does have a tow package and I use a WDH. The truck is around 5750 lbs +/- and the TT is around 4700 dry. This tows and handles much easier than my previous 2005 Starcraft Travel Star hybrid. While I've got tents/popups/hybrid experience under my belt, this is the first with using a WDH and brake controller. When you know better, you do better.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #80

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandrews View Post
Robyn, in your last post you mentioned you tow with a 07 SC Tundra. I have a 2011 CM and tow a Jayco 28BHS. While it looks big and heavy the TT weighs 5300 pounds empty and my recent scale visit shows 7000 pounds ready to travel loaded. I am so incredibly impressed with the power, stability and confidence these trucks provide. May I ask how long you have been running the SC on your 5.7?
I put the SC on, Jan 2015 with 47K miles. I saved for 2 yrs. for it. $5450 for the kit and $1250 to put it on (dealer). I understand they are discontinuing them though.
Lot's of power. If I'm not careful, I can get some low MPG numbers but is fun to drive. If I use the cruise control at 70 mph freeway, I average about 19.5. Get 16 to17.5 in town. Towing (headwind uphill) 9.3, 13 quartering tail wind, level. Average for a 250 mile towing trip is about 11.6.
The high volume/high pressure fuel ensures I don't pass many gas stations. Oh and it only uses premium from now on.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:24 AM   #81

I installed mine late Feb 2015 with the TRD exhaust and sway bars. Makes for a very enjoyable half ton tow vehicle. I'm pleased to see that there are many of us using our lighter duty trucks safely and used within reason are very impressive. My 2011 only had 24,000 km when I installed the S/C and immediately departed from BC Canada to Anaheim, San Fran and back up the Oregon Coast without any drama. You are correct that mileage is not good and premium fuel is extra but so much fun climbing hills with the RV behind at speed limit without ever using gears below 4th is a blast. White knuckling is an awful feeling but it is evident that these light duty trucks have come a very long way. Great hearing from other S/C owners. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
1/2 Tow Truck

We have a 2013 Ford EcoBoost Superscrew Longbox, with the Tow Package. I have added the Helwig rear stabilizer is the only modification. We pull a 1984 Avon 30p trailer, using a Husky equalizer hitch, tongue weight 760 lbs & gross of 7600. Towing from FT. Worth, TX to Noxon, MT. this year we average 11 mpg. The lowest it ever shifted down to on any pull, was 4th & maintained speed. I am a Happy Camper
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #83

2015 GMC Sierra

5.3 V8 crew cab - factory load ratings with max tow package:

GVWR - 7600
Payload - 2210
Trailer - 10900

Currently towing a 2-horse slant load trailer, about 4500-5000 loaded with a 1000 lb. (estimated) tongue weight, empty tongue weight 700-750 lb.

Looking at a Minnie Winnie or similar trailer, 5000 dry, 6000-6500 loaded.

The horse trailer tows very well - I'll need a better anti-sway/WD hitch for the travel trailer.

You do have to watch the numbers more closely with the 1/2 ton trucks. I found more than a few dealerships where no one in the sales department knew what tongue weight was. You also need to be careful when purchasing aftermarket wheels and tires (mounted winter tires in my case). The company I used was not aware that GM offered a max trailer package with increased rear axle rating and suggested wheels rated for the standard truck. I could have ended up with wheels with a load rating lower than the rear axle rating (don't know what the safety margin was but didn't want to find out).
Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #84

US RVers are paranoid. My aunt and uncle (UK residents) towed TTs all over Europe for well over 25 years. Their TT was a "custom-built" design (pronounced "heavy") with a lot of oak framing. It was an 18-footer, probably a 21' rig by US standards since the UK definition back then didn't include the A-frame.

Initially, their TV was an Austin Cambridge sedan, a 1.5 liter 4-banger with 55 horsepower on a really good day. They finally upgraded to a 2.0L sedan with maybe 90 HP, but it was front-wheel drive. Didn't bother them.

What amazes me, with experience in US RVing, is that they never admitted that they had any problems with their cars. They were stick-shift, as most UK cars were then, and my uncle was a professional truck driver. They must have been awful slow on some of those grades!

After my US experience, I can't imagine towing a heavy TT over the Alps and through the German Black Forest with such a low-powered car.