Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Has anyone towed a 70's Airstream 31ft trailer ?

If so what did you think about how it towed? What MPG did you get towing? Would this be easier to tow than a fifth wheel at same length?

Thanks..
desertratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #2

Yea, they're high quality trailers.
Yea, they're aerodynamic.
Yea, they're water tight.
Yea, they're really, really heavy.

I don't see that an Airstream would be any cheaper to tow than a fifth wheel trailer. A 3/4 ton truck would be preferable with a first class hitch like a Hensley.

Difference is that a fiver owner is not part of an exclusive club/cult.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
If so what did you think about how it towed? What MPG did you get towing? Would this be easier to tow than a fifth wheel at same length?

Thanks..
I have a 1976 Airstream Sovereign 31'. I have towed the trailer coast to coast on all types of roads and it tows great. I have a Suburban 1500 and I have plenty of power for my needs on the highway and hills. You need a good hitch and I have used a Hensley Arrow for over 10 years, would never go have to a standard hitch. As for as an Airstream or 5th wheel it just depends on what you want and and how much room you need. Forget about good gas mileage with whatever you tow, ain't going to happen. Check out the iRV2 sister Airstream forum, Airstream Forums - Powered by vBulletin. You can get all of the details from actual Airstream owners.

good luck.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

A TT will never ever tow as well as a 5er tows. Using a Hensley or ProPride will mimic what it's like with a 5er. But in reality it won't be 100% the same. Maybe 95%.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It sure tows nice if you have the title, rather than the payment book on a 5th wheel. Vintage Avion 30p (1984) F150 ECOBoost. gps
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Water tight? There are way too many rivits in aluminum which is considered a soft metal. In time the soft metal with rivits will leak. Don't let anyone tell you airstream trailers do not leak.

Check out 'Long long long honeymoon' on YouTube.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Water tight? There are way too many rivits in aluminum which is considered a soft metal. In time the soft metal with rivits will leak. Don't let anyone tell you airstream trailers do not leak.

Check out 'Long long long honeymoon' on YouTube.
I have owned three airstreams. None have ever leaked at the rivets. I can't say that Airstreams don't leak,because they can leak at any opening. The doors, windows' and refrigerator vents are all places that water can intrude, but I never had rivets leak or heard of a major problem with leaking rivets unless they sheared(the head breaking off.)
Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #8

My folks towed one all over the US with a Mid 70's suburban, It was the 3 axle Land Yacht. Never had any issues that I knew of, then yet I was in the back row of the suburban looking at the trailer for 1000's of miles.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
A TT will never ever tow as well as a 5er tows. Using a Hensley or ProPride will mimic what it's like with a 5er. But in reality it won't be 100% the same. Maybe 95%.
Disagree. I've towed my 8,000-pound 5er with a 5er hitch and my 5,000-pound TT with a ProPride hitch. No difference. They're both great if properly installed and set up.

The problem is that the ProPride hitch (and the older design Hensley Arrow) cost over $2,300 plus installation and adjustment, while a good 5er hitch such as the Reese Classic with 4-way tilt costs about $1,000 installed. But 5ers cost more than TTs of the same interior space and quality, so you can tow a TT with a ProPride hitch for about the same cost as a 5er.

TTs with 30' box length average about 13% hitch weight while 5ers with 30' box length average about 18%. That difference means you'll exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle with a 5er when you could tow a TT without being overloaded. So a TT is almost always the better choice for folks that tow with an SUV or half-ton or even a three-quarter ton pickup. (My '99.5 F-250 was overloaded when towing my 8,000-pound 5er, but the GVWR of F-250s has increased since then.)
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, tow