Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Has anyone towed a travel trailer with a ford flex ecoboost?

We are thinking about buying one but not sure how it will tow our trailer.
Amartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. It would be helpful to know a bit about the trailer you plan to tow. Also the specifics on the Flex.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your thread from Solo RVers to here where you should get far more views.

We're glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
HERE is some Ford Flex trailer towing information from Ford for starters.

Oh, and

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I see one big problem....with the Class III tow package, it is limited to 35 sq ft of frontal area for a trailer. That equates to a trailer 7' wide x 5' tall....or 8'w x 4.2' high.

This will pretty much eliminate any conventional trailers. Better look at pop ups in the correct weight range.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
I see one big problem....with the Class III tow package, it is limited to 35 sq ft of frontal area for a trailer. That equates to a trailer 7' wide x 5' tall....or 8'w x 4.2' high.

This will pretty much eliminate any conventional trailers. Better look at pop ups in the correct weight range.

Ken
I agree, i own a 2012 Explorer limited with tow package, the frontal area will be an issue, I tow a 21 ft mini lite, way under powered.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #7

I have a 2012 F-150 with the factory installed heavy duty towing package (trailer brakes, receiver, yada yada yada) w/Ecoboost and it tows my 2012 Outback 298RE (rated 9000 lbs fully loaded) just fine. Have yet to go over the mountains with it but so far I'm quite pleased with it.
Horskrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #8

Does your explorer have the v6 ecoboost?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #9

I wanted the f-150 but I need third row seating
Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartinez
Does your explorer have the v6 ecoboost?
No, the limited did not come with ecoboost, the new sport and 2013 model will have it. I contacted Ford, they have not decided if the limited will be available in Eco boost
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #11

We test drove the ecoboost today and it seemed to have a ton of power. We used to tow the trailer with an 02 tundra and the flex has more torque and horsepower
Old 07-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartinez
We test drove the ecoboost today and it seemed to have a ton of power. We used to tow the trailer with an 02 tundra and the flex has more torque and horsepower
Still thinking its more about the transmission and the spread of gears, HP may be ok, just like my 2012 Explorer Limited, it's a tranny issue meaning the gears are not complementing the engines.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer

Still thinking its more about the transmission and the spread of gears, HP may be ok, just like my 2012 Explorer Limited, it's a tranny issue meaning the gears are not complementing the engines.
...not to mention the Flex is on a different platform than the explorer (I think). The explorer has a chassis, like a truck, therefore it is able to handle heavier loads. I'm not sure if the Flex sits on a chassis, or it's a unibody construction. That's another thing you might want to look in to. Remember, a salesperson will tell you whatever you want to hear just to make the sale!
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horskrzy View Post
I have a 2012 F-150 with the factory installed heavy duty towing package (trailer brakes, receiver, yada yada yada) w/Ecoboost and it tows my 2012 Outback 298RE (rated 9000 lbs fully loaded) just fine. Have yet to go over the mountains with it but so far I'm quite pleased with it.
.... and yes, it has the Ecoboost V6 (Sorry about forgetting to mention that part! )