Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #1

HaulGauge Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale for OBD II - Bluetooth

Get your rigs real time weight information via the OBD port and an app on your phone?

What say you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #2

Nobody has an opinion?
Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

Looks pretty sweet to me
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz. View Post
Nobody has an opinion?

Something like that when I was working would have limited value. But I had pressure gauges on the suspension bags. Look at how much pressure the leveling valves let in, I knew axle weights.
With this, on my pickup, with camper, would need to check a few times before I could trust it. Have already weighed a few times, know how much room I have on ratings. Unless I change something, I don't need to check again.
Any of the other trailers, if I decide to haul it, I'm going to haul, and knowing the weight will not change my mind.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #5

I have it. Works ok
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #6

I just breezed through the video but have a few thoughts. From what I understand they are using a similar if not identical, properly functioning truck to use as a baseline. Calibrating your truck w/out trailer compares acceleration to baseline and "should" adjust for performance differences and wear. If it actually does it well needs to be seen.

I must have missed smething but how it checks payload is beyond me. I am guessing either the device has an internal "water level" like those in a smart phone or you need to use the accelerometers (water level) of a calibrated cell. to test payload and rear end sag. I'm not sure this measurement can be very precise given possible suspension mods or worn/broken springs which would vary from any baseline truck.

Could be a useful device for those hauling many different RVs each month and have a truck at or near limits.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I just breezed through the video but have a few thoughts. From what I understand they are using a similar if not identical, properly functioning truck to use as a baseline. Calibrating your truck w/out trailer compares acceleration to baseline and "should" adjust for performance differences and wear. If it actually does it well needs to be seen.

I must have missed smething but how it checks payload is beyond me. I am guessing either the device has an internal "water level" like those in a smart phone or you need to use the accelerometers (water level) of a calibrated cell. to test payload and rear end sag. I'm not sure this measurement can be very precise given possible suspension mods or worn/broken springs which would vary from any baseline truck.

Could be a useful device for those hauling many different RVs each month and have a truck at or near limits.
It does in fact use a level in the OBD2 dongle for payload, WD hitch set up and tongue weight. It can be calibrated for the vehicle it's being used on so it's not coming from a stock setup that may not apply to your specific suspension setup. You can also calibrate the trailer weight part so it's "accurate" to your specific vehicle.

I do question how well it works with airbags. I guess if zeroed each time pressure is changed then it should be mostly accurate.

In my time using it so far it's been shockingly accurate (I use the word accurate relative to what the device is). It's usually within about 50-100lbs of actual payload weight but that's not bad for what this device is and how it's getting its weights. Trailer weights can vary if you don't accelerate the same as when calibrating. This is the biggest drawback I've found.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
It does in fact use a level in the OBD2 dongle for payload, WD hitch set up and tongue weight. It can be calibrated for the vehicle it's being used on so it's not coming from a stock setup that may not apply to your specific suspension setup. You can also calibrate the trailer weight part so it's "accurate" to your specific vehicle.

I do question how well it works with airbags. I guess if zeroed each time pressure is changed then it should be mostly accurate.

In my time using it so far it's been shockingly accurate (I use the word accurate relative to what the device is). It's usually within about 50-100lbs of actual payload weight but that's not bad for what this device is and how it's getting its weights. Trailer weights can vary if you don't accelerate the same as when calibrating. This is the biggest drawback I've found.
Yeah, and therein lies my hesitation on accuracy. My truck is an absolute dog if I haven't been hauling for a long time then hok up my 5th wheel. It takes anywhere from 20km to 200km of driving to "wake it up" depending on terrain. It seriusly feels like a good 30% power difference. Lots of it is due to torque management mapping but how can the device factor that in? I'd most likely use it when I haven't been hauling for awhile and am contemplating hooking up a new or unknown trailer.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Yeah, and therein lies my hesitation on accuracy. My truck is an absolute dog if I haven't been hauling for a long time then hok up my 5th wheel. It takes anywhere from 20km to 200km of driving to "wake it up" depending on terrain. It seriusly feels like a good 30% power difference. Lots of it is due to torque management mapping but how can the device factor that in? I'd most likely use it when I haven't been hauling for awhile and am contemplating hooking up a new or unknown trailer.
The tongue weight and WD hitch setup features are what I use most. Keeps me informed on the weights that affect my truck the most. If I want more there's a CAT scale close by

Tags
tongue weight, weight