Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #1

Hi, I am planning on retiring in about a year to go full-timing. I am leaning towards a fifth wheel over a travel trailer, but I have one question/problem. I want to be able to take my motorcycle, which weighs about 550#, so that I can use it when I am camped.

With a fifth wheel how would I be able to take the motorcycle? The only way I can see is to somehow attach it to the rear of the trailer, but that is a lot of weight. Is there another way to carry the motorcycle or would I be better off buying a travel trailer so that I can carry the bike in the truck bed?

Thanks,

Dan
Beachcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2007, 04:05 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Among your options are:

1. A motorcycle carrier on the back of the 5th wheel. This option should be approached very carefully as it significantly increases the axle weight and decreases the pin weight of the 5th wheel RV. Frame strength considerations are also present. If you'll check out the Excel owner's forum on the main page, this manufacturer is one of the few (if only) to offer a motorcycle carrier as a factory installed option on their 5th wheel RVs.

2. Tow a motorcycle trailer behind the 5th wheel. There are legal ramifications to this - it's not legal in all states, and some states require a special driver's license to "tow double". Again, frame strength of the 5th wheel is a consideration, but a few manufacturers do offer a receiver hitch as a factory option on their 5th wheel RVs.

3. Carry the motorcycle in the truck bed. Not possible with a 5th wheel, but even with a TT, loading and unloading can be a real problem, especially as we get older. Some RVers have addressed this by using medium or heavy duty trucks to tow 5th wheels and installing a lift system to carry the motorcycle transversely between the back of the truck cab and the front of the 5th wheel.

4. Buy a toyhauler RV. The tradeoff here is, for a fulltimer, how usable is the garage space once you reach your destination and set up? Can it be used for living space or storage? Will the RV still provide the room and storage you need for fulltiming?

I haven't found a satisfactory answer for this dilemma - I have a 2007 BMW K1200GT that I would love to take along but haven't figured out an acceptable approach for us yet.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I am in the same situation. My wife is retired now. I'm retiring in August. We plan on going fulltime about a year from then. I have a goldwing which is about 950#. I too cannot find an acceptable solution. Too much living space to be given up with a toyhauler when one is a fulltimer.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #4

I haul my harley in the bed of the truck and pull the Travel trailer. I had to have a 1 ton dually to be able to handle hitch weight and the Harley weight with room to spare.

The ramps I use fold, and are three ramps, the center one for the bike and a side ramp on each side for my left and right feet.

A solution as one ages is there are motorcycle lift ramps that can be put in a 8 foot box truck that will load and un load the motorcycle.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions.

Dan
Beachcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #6

Excel offers a hydralic motorcycle lift good for 1000lbs as an option on there trailers
landis_rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #7

hi I am new to this also and wondering the very same thing. Have read lots about not adding to much to rear of trailer so now i'm way to paranoid to try that.Good thing too cuz I might have tried it not thinking about loss of pin weight. also read about some very nice but pricey bike lifts for the back of certain trailers. I would love to figure this out myself and the one thing i keep considering but have not exactly worked out the issues with yet is hanging the bike on front of truck.Sounds nuts at first but I used to plow snow here in Pa. and the plow on the front of my truck while I never actually weighed it had to be 600lbs or better and i seem to recall the owners manual for my 2500 dodge rates the truck to carry 700lb plow when truck has weight in rear say like maybe a fifth wheel trialer pin??? I have not heard of anyone else considering this but I have and would love to hear some of you out there tell me if i'f I nuts or not. Lots of would like to haul our smaller bikes and cannot and still have the fifth wheel.I realize it won't work for a 900lb Harley or goldwqing but why not 450-500lb bike. Hey I'm gonna post this as question and see who thinks what,nothin to lose and seems there are lots of pretty creative people on this site.
pete99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #8

This is a great topic. I am looking at upgrading from my 7 year old Terry 26A toy hauler to a much nicer 5th wheel toy hauler, but they all are too big for my truck. Is there a manufacturer out there that makes one with just a 7 foot box? I have even calculated that I could get by wiht a 6 foot box. the bikes(s) just go in at an angle. That would cut down on length and weight. I would really like to keep my MC secure inside my rig.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
First of all, welcome to iRV2.com. We're glad to have you with us.

I'll link your post down to the Toyhaulers forum and see if any of those folks can answer your question.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #10

Location: Living my imperfect todays rather than waiting for my perfect tomorrow...
Quote:
Originally posted by KTMissouri:
This is a great topic. I am looking at upgrading from my 7 year old Terry 26A toy hauler to a much nicer 5th wheel toy hauler, but they all are too big for my truck. Is there a manufacturer out there that makes one with just a 7 foot box? I have even calculated that I could get by wiht a 6 foot box. the bikes(s) just go in at an angle. That would cut down on length and weight. I would really like to keep my MC secure inside my rig.
You might want to look at the specs for the Outback Kargoroo. I was initially looking at that (small front load garage area) but since I am ending up with keeping 2 bikes (my Harley and my new BMW), going to go the fifth wheel route.
Froggi Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I am getting in on the end of this thing, but Cheri and I were out camping so I wasnt able to get on.

I say use a toy hauler . There are 2 main types , one with a garage ( thats what we have noe) and the ones with out. If your going to get one for full timeing you want a good size truck if your going to add slides. We went from a 17' Desert Fox , it was short , no garage but we discoverd early , our first liong trip with the bike, to the Smokies that 3 nights of unloading was a bit mush. You dont want your toys inside if your cooking and sleeping. we didnt have any gas smell but the thought of the fumes and the stove or oven wasnt something we wanted in a trailer type so we Got the 34' with a garage. This is a great improvement. we dont have to unload the bike every night we are on the road. We have the out back awning and plan on the screen room also htis turns the garage and tail gate into another room. for anything we like. Heres a link to the room. We think it will make a big differance. Hope this all helps, cause this in my opnion is the best way to bring the bike.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 AM   #12

In response to RustyJC & K-Star...I too have a large bike (Goldwing). I found a system that loads the bike into the back of the truck - problem was they want $1900 plus shipping (see it at http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/ramp-master.html. I looked at the design & it's easy to see that it's not difficult to make something similar if your are at all handy. I did it myself for less than $500 & it works great. Just something to consider.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, some of you may have been reading my posts about he Goldwing and 5'er. After MUCH debate, and finding that you really should not pull a 900 lb motorcycle behind a 5'er, cause it is not physically good for the RV, and it is illegal in alot of states. We solved the
problem. We sold the Goldwing, and kept the RV.
At some point a man has to choose between his toys, and let one go. It ain't easy though..
Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #14

I understand the tears. No way can we sell our Goldwing -- it's just too much fun for both of us. That's the only reason we have chosen the TT over the 5er -- the Wing can go in the truck.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote