Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

Hauling HD trike in pickup truck bed

Anyone had any experience loading and hauling Trike in bed of truck.
Looking for pro's/con's and options for loading and hauling vs. car hauler.
rbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
They are 8.75' long weigh in over 1,200 lb plus loaded to ride.
Couldn't find the width. May be wider then a truck bed?
With the weight it will take a wide heavy duty ramp to get it loaded and unloaded.
Then a place to store the ramp.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can the tailgate, when down, handle the weight of the rear of the vehicle being slammed on it going down the road? That is what I would be concerned about, mainly because I don't know if it can handle that punishment or not.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Can the tailgate, when down, handle the weight of the rear of the vehicle being slammed on it going down the road? That is what I would be concerned about, mainly because I don't know if it can handle that punishment or not.

That is doubtful
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Pickup tailgates aren't designed to hold much more than a couple hundred pounds.

The only way I'd put a trike in the back of a pickup would be with a Rampage lift. They make an adapter for trikes.

Here's a vid of them loading a HD trike into a truck...

https://youtu.be/zGMNr73eG5Y
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Yea, I agree with the Rampage lift or similar product. No way would I drive on a ramp into the bed. Found an all aluminum lift built in Nevada.
Also was looking for opinions on bumper pulling car hauler with vehicle and Trike. Thanks
rbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbur View Post
Yea, I agree with the Rampage lift or similar product. No way would I drive on a ramp into the bed. Found an all aluminum lift built in Nevada.
Also was looking for opinions on bumper pulling car hauler with vehicle and Trike. Thanks
A trailer would work, depending on what your pulling it with. It would definitely be easier to load. The primary disadvantages of a big trailer with a motorhome is overall length in route, and finding a place for the trailer at your destination. That really depends on where you'll be camping.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote