Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy2265 View Post
Hi Lynn, this is also Lynn, I'll give you a little inside info from our experience. We have a 2014 cyclone 4100 and haul two Harleys along with all the usual stuff, clothes, tools, grill, etc. and we were pulling it w/ a 2011 swr w/6.7 TD. Truck did great, lots of power, exhaust brake etc. We were quite happy, until coming home from the Wisconsin Dells on Labor Day. Super heavy traffic w/ everybody doing 70 to 80 miles per hrs, even the slow lane. If you are familiar w/ Wi there isn't a straight road in the state except for I 90. Then add a 30 mph side wind and have semi after semi passing you. Well long story short, the wife asked why I was going so slow(65)? Every body is passing you,you are holding up traffic! My response was, I'm afraid to go any faster, we're getting pushed all over by the wind, I don't feel comfortable trying to pass anybody, trucks or other RV 's, especially going around curves! Her response was, did we buy too big of trailer when we traded? You said this truck would work! We didn't have this problem w/ our 39 ft raptor.
Well before we got home we stopped at the scale, and much to my surprise we came in at 29800 totally loaded but no water and empty black and grey tanks. Considering the truck weighed 8900, that put the trailer at almost 21000. I was shocked! Wife says we can't fulltime like this! What are we going to do? There was only 1answer. A DWR. But we can't afford to trade trucks!
So trying to ease the situation I started checking for leftover 2013's as the 2014's were already out. Took a month to find one I wanted and had to go to Detroit w/ my dealer to pick it up. But we saved 10000 dollars by buying a left over, so end result was it worked out well and two year newer truck.
So to conclude the story, our next trip was to arkansas, northern hilly country, wife says wow what a difference, you can't even tell the trailer is back there! Are you happy now? Should have gotten a dually the 1st time. You were right!
My story is very similar. I towed a 2013 Cyclone 4100 for 3500 mi with a SRW. The salesman said "it will be fine". I finally bought a 2013 F350 DRW and pulled it another 14K mi. We crossed the scales at 30350, which is only 150 lbs below the DRW's GCWR. We were probably 2000-2500 over the SRW's rear axle rating. The difference in stability was night and day.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #16

Yup!
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyngo4it View Post
Hello all!
We just purchased our new toy hauler and are looking for a truck to pull it. Toy hauler is 44ft 3 axles 18000 gross weight. My question is can I get by with a 1 ton short bed or must I go with a dually?? Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Lynn. (Retired AF)
Lynn,

You have recieved some good advice and I will fall in line. I just sold my Cyclone 4114 triple axles toy hauler. I towed it with a GMC 3500 Denali and it tows amazingly well. Anything else (SRW, etc) is NOT gonna make you very comforatable in a lot of situations.

Don't take the rated weight's as gospel, load it, weigh it (you might be suprised) and buy a DRW, you will be thankfull you did!!!
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland