Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Heavy tailgate. Is there a solution?

My truck is a 2002 Ford Super Duty V10 that I use to tow a 5th wheel. The tail gate has always been heavy to open and close. Now that I am turning 70 I can still manage it but wondered if there is an after market fix for this problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #2

I think there are aftermarket products that help. Google 'Easy Lift' or 'pickup truck tailgate assit'.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

You could also change it to a v-notch tailgate. They do cut down on the turbulence in the bed a lot.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

http://www.genosgarage.com/GATEGLIDE.../#.VPmeORl6jqA

This is an amazing device. Makes the tailgate a one hand lift.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Plug it right also sells an easy lift tailgate helper. Dutch and Di are also fulltime RV'ers and are great to work with.
Here's the site- TailgateEasyLift 941-416-0918 10-10 7 days a week plugitright@gmail.com
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
You could also change it to a v-notch tailgate. They do cut down on the turbulence in the bed a lot.
Or you can wait until you screw up and forget to lower the tailgate before you pull forward while unhooking the 5er. Then you'll need a replacement tailgate. I'm older than OP, and I had one of those "senior moments" that resulted in a new tailgate. I bought the least expensive 5th-wheel tailgate I could find to fit my '99.5 F-250. and it turned out to be an excellent buy. Much lighter weight than the Ford OEM tailgate, and much less expensive. Very durable as I used it for about 10 years before I sold the F-250. If you are a stickler for having the color of the tailgate match your truck exactly, then any body shop can paint it with the matching Ford paint and then clearccoat it. I left mine black in my white F-250. Looked good.
Center Latch Fifth Wheel Tailgate - Buy Custom Truck Tailgates Online | Handy Industries
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you spend a lot of time in the RV there is the Class A fix.......
Old 03-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #8

Personally I would rather have my fiver and truck. That way I can tow my boat too! Then I have the truck to go anywhere I want.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I had a Class A once upon a time. 30' gas puller with 454 Chevy gas-hog engine. One trip from Midland County to Denver with heavy cross winds taught me to get rid of that monster before somebody got hurt. So I bought a small low-profile 5er and towed it with a Toy T-100 V6 almost-half-ton pickup. Too small a camper, so I traded for a 25' 5er with one big slide. Not enough truck, so I ordered an F-250 diesel. That was the ticket. Towed that 5r with that diesel pickup all over the USA for over 10 years and over 100,000 miles with no regrets.

We tired of RVing and sold the diesel. But then we missed the RVing, so we bought a small TT and tow it with an F-150 EcoBoost. Good combo, but without a slide the TT is crowded with two old folks and two dogs. With a slide it would be roomy enough, bit I would need more truck than my F-150 to tow it.

We don't "camp" or even RV, but instead use the TT as a motel room with a handy restroom. Two old folks need to have access to a pottie at a moments notice, so it's nice to have our restroom with us at all times.

But a Class A? No thanks. BTDT.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
We don't "camp" or even RV, but instead use the TT as a motel room with a handy restroom. Two old folks need to have access to a pottie at a moments notice, so it's nice to have our restroom with us at all times.

But a Class A? No thanks. BTDT.
LOL!
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #11

custom tailgate

we opted to have our factory tailgate customized by
AJ's Automotive
Address: 47872 US-18, Canton, SD 57013
Phone:(605) 987-4292
they did a great job and I would recommend AJ's to any one would
like to modify their tailgate for 5th wheel use

here is a link to the photos of the customized tailgate