Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Post Hello forums Newbie with lots of questions

Finally got all of the boxes checked and successfully registered. For about 8 years have been hauling my 26ft R-Vision TT camping behind a 1997 F250 HD 7.3, without giving much thought to things like tongue weight, GVRW, etc etc you could hardly tell it was back there with no add on's except the brake controller. Then along came an offer for the truck I could not refuse. (SWMBO) was tickled. She couldn't drive the truck with the 5 speed manual. SOO we went shopping and acquired an outstanding 2008 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3 4wd with all kinds of bells and whistles including auto leveling air suspension. Now am trying to determine what all I am going to have to do to make it the hauler. I know for sure that a WD hitch and brake controller will be first on the list. The gvrw on the trailer tag says 6850 so I think it will do the job. A ton of questions come to mind. Any and all input greatly appreciated
daryl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

I'm sorry, I can't help you.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #3

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:20 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You may be overloaded since only the beefiest Envoy has a 6500 pound tow limit. That model has a 1200 pound payload also so not much available after the tongue weight which could be 750 or more plus 100 for the hitch. Only leaves 350 for passengers and anything you want to carry in the car.

That still may be doable but the killer to me is the short wheelbase and the fact that the trailer weighs a good bit more than the car. Seems like a recipe for the tail wagging the dog.

It may be OK if you load very light. Only you can know if it is acceptable. It would not be for me.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl79 View Post
I moved this post from "New Member Check in"

For about 8 years have been hauling my 26ft R-Vision TT camping behind a 1997 F250 HD 7.3, without giving much thought to things like tongue weight, GVRW, etc etc you could hardly tell it was back there with no add on's except the brake controller. Then along came an offer for the truck I could not refuse. (SWMBO) was tickled. She couldn't drive the truck with the 5 speed manual. SOO we went shopping and acquired an outstanding 2008 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3 4wd with all kinds of bells and whistles including auto leveling air suspension. Now am trying to determine what all I am going to have to do to make it the hauler. I know for sure that a WD hitch and brake controller will be first on the list. The gvrw on the trailer tag says 6850 so I think it will do the job. A ton of questions come to mind. Any and all input greatly appreciated

Well, sorry to say but, I think you should have either kept the F-250 or bought another 3/4 ton truck.
Your 1/2 ton SUV won’t like towing that trailer not matter what you do.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl79 View Post
SOO we went shopping and acquired an outstanding 2008 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3 4wd with all kinds of bells and whistles including auto leveling air suspension. Now am trying to determine what all I am going to have to do to make it the hauler. ... The gvrw on the trailer tag says 6850 so I think it will do the job.
You've been warmly welcomed, so I just get right to your concerns. I'll be the bad guy with the bad news.

In a nutshell, you probably didn't buy enough tow vehicle for that trailer.

You need a trailer hitch receiver rated for at least 6,000 pounds trailer weight/880 pounds tongue weight. When I look for that, I bump up against "At this time, there is not a Trailer Hitch confirmed to fit your 2008 GMC Envoy." I found one aftermarket receiver hitch, but it was rated at 5000 pounds max trailer weight and 500 pounds max tongue weight.

So your first obstacle is to find a hitch receiver rated for at least 900 pounds tongue weight (TW with a WD hitch) that will fit your Envoy. After you find one, then:

You had plenty of payload capacity with the F-250 to tow that trailer with no problems overloading the tow vehicle. But the SUV is different. Lots of room inside for people and stuff, but limited GVWR and payload capacity for hauling both the people and cargo in the SUV as well as the hitch weight of the trailer.

With GVWR of 6,850, your trailer probably grosses at least 6,000 pounds when wet and loaded for the road. With average 13% tongue weight (TW), that's 780 pounds TW. Add another 100 pounds for a good WD hitch and total hitch weight is about 880 pounds.

Specs for your GMC say max of 5,700 pounds tow rating. So with just you and DW in the SUV with the 6k trailer tied on, you'll probably exceed the GCWR (and tow rating) of the SUV. But that's not a big problem if you don't climb mountain passes and provided you stay out of hilly country.

Your main concern (other than hitch and steep grades) is payload capacity of the SUV. Specs are not clear, so here's what I would do.

1] Load the SUV with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing.

2] Drive to a truck stop that has a truck scale.

3] Fill up with gas, then weigh the wet and loaded SUV.

4] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded SUV from the GVWR of the SUV. The answer is the payload capacity available for hitch weight.

If the payload capacity available for hitch weight is not at least 880 pounds, then that's too much trailer for your tow vehicle.

If you're still not overloaded, then you might be good to go, provided you are aware you are out of payload capacity as well as tow rating, so you must limit the weight you haul in the SUV and trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the input. I now at least have a starting point and some serious homework ahead. I will be back when I learn enuff to ask intelligent questions. I need to understand more specific details about both the Envoy and the Trailer.

Daryl
Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I predict you will spend a bunch of money setting it up and trying to make it work, hook up the trailer and pull it one time, then buy another tow vehicle. If it is windy don't even try it. I don't mean to sound so negative but save those dollars and buy a truck built for towing instead.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #10

Be cognizant of your auto leveling suspension and how you set up your weight distribution hitch. If your hitch, like many do, incorporates anti-sway and you set it up static (engine off) you could have problems. Everything would look good but when you start your rig the rear end would raise and unload the WDH and defeat your anti-sway. Something to think about. Welcome to the forum.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
buy a truck built for towing instead.
Not an option but thanks anyway
Old 03-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Be cognizant of your auto leveling suspension and how you set up your weight distribution hitch. If your hitch, like many do, incorporates anti-sway and you set it up static (engine off) you could have problems. Everything would look good but when you start your rig the rear end would raise and unload the WDH and defeat your anti-sway. Something to think about. Welcome to the forum.
Excellent input. I have been wondering about this exact issue. Thanks. Now in the process of gaining SOME knowledge about WD. It is a whole new world.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #13

well based upon the GVWR of the trailer and the envoy there's no way you can pull that trailer. No matter what you do.
You would need to post the specs of the vehicle and the trailer but the results aren't going to be pretty.

Tags
forum, newbie, tow, towing