Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #1

Help me decipher my F150

Hello all, I'm hoping that some of you with more experience can help me decipher my NTM 2013 F150.

I have a 2013 F-150 XLT 4x4 supercrew
145" wheel base
Ecoboost Engine 3.5L V6
3.31 rear axel
Factory trailer packadge (trailer brake controller,coolers etc.)

All standard untill you get to the listed optional equipmant where it states "7300#GVWR package, Equipment group 302A

I can not find this in any of the published towing guides.

Does anyone know what this is?

Does this effect the towing capacity?

Thank you for your help.
Lee335

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #2

A little info

I don't have time right now to properly research this, but until someone else comes along I did find some info. You can find the pdf brochure by doing a Google search for "2013 Ford F-150 Brochure".
The actual link is here, but beware that clicking it will start the brochure download. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...328,bs.2,d.dmo

Equipment Group 302A (SuperCab and SuperCrew only;
n/a with Heavy-Duty Payload Package) includes all content
of 301A + XLT Plus Package includes Reverse Sensing System
and power-sliding rear window + XLT Chrome Package
includes chrome grille surround and C-clamp insert with
silver mesh, chrome front tow hooks (4x4), 18" chrome-clad
aluminum wheels, P265/60R18 OWL all-season tires (4x2),
P275/65R18 OWL all-terrain tires (4x4), chrome door handles
with black bezels, 5" chrome cab steps, and chrome exhaust
tip + trailer brake controller + rear view camera

Old 05-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee335 View Post
7300#GVWR package, Equipment group 302A

Does anyone know what this is?
7300#GVWR package is simply the GVWR of your truck. GVWR is the maximum your truck can weigh on the two truck axles without being overloaded. There were three different GVWR packages available for 2013 F-150s. You have the standard GVWR package. The GVWR package that came with the maximum towing package was a bit more, 7700 or 7800 pounds IIRC. The one with the heavy duty payload package has 8200 pounds GVWR.

tinkerreknit gave you the official words for the XLT Luxury Pkg - order code 302A. I'll try to say it in English:

-rear view camera
-reverse sensing system
-XLT chrome pkg - chrome running boards, chrome 18" wheels w/18" tires, lots of other chrome pieces
-sliding rear window
-SIRIUS satellite ratio
-integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC)
-regular trailer tow pkg (tranny oil cooler, receiver hitch w/7-wire trailer plug, upgraded radiator, SelectShift tranny)
-power heated side view mirrors with self dimming and turn signal indicators
-6-way power driver's seat
-power adjustable pedals
-4.2" productivity screen and 4.2" audio/climate control screen
-leather wrapped steering wheel
-5-way steering wheel controls

Quote:
Does this effect the towing capacity
The gee-gaws in the luxury package? No.

But the GVWR? Definitely. GVWR determines your payload capacity. GVWR minus the weight of your wet and loaded truck is the payload capacity available for hitch weight. And your limiter for how much trailer you can tow is the payload capacity available for hitch weight.

Example: Your F-150 loaded for towing, with family, pets. toolbox, bedliner, bed rug, campfire wood and a tonneau cover weighs 6,500 pounds. That leaves 800 pounds payload capacity available for hitch weight. Subtract another 100 pounds for the weight of your weight-distributing hitch, and that leaves 700 pounds available for tongue weight. Average tongue weight of a travel trailer (TT) is around 13% of gross trailer weight. So divide 700 by 0.13 and the answer is 5,385 maximum trailer weight you can tow without being overloaded.

There are very few tiny TTs available with GVWR less than 5,383, so if you load your F-150 to 6,500 pounds you cannot tow much of a trailer without exceeding the payload capacity of your F-150. Certainly not the normal TT that has GVWR of 7,500 pounds or more.

Rule of thumb: You can pull a lot heavier trailer than you can haul the hitch weight of that trailer. So ignore tow ratings and concentrate on payload capacity of your tow vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Thank you for your help SmokeyWren and Tinkerreknit I appreciate your help.
Looks like I'll be shopping for a new TT. Sounds like my F150 is underrated for my Cougar.
Thanks again for your help.
Lee335
Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Looks like I'll be shopping for a new TT. Sounds like my F150 is underrated for my Cougar.
Probably, but that doesn't mean you cannot RV for a while if you pay attention to details.

Your EcoBoost drivetrain is amazing. Your "tow rating" is over 9,000 pounds, which means you have enough power and torque to tow a TT that weighs up to about 9,000 pounds without overheating anything in the drivetrain of your F-150. Yeah, you'll probably be overloaded over the payload capacity of your F-150, but so is about 90% of all RVers that tow a 24' TT with a half-ton pickup. Pump the tires up to the max PSI on the sidewall, don't try to haul much in the pickup other than family and pets, and you'll probably be okay with a TT that weighs less than about 7,100 pounds. If the rear end sags because of hitch weight, with the headlights aiming at the stars, then add Firestone RideRite air bags to the rear suspension, and when towing pump up the air bags enough too remove the sag from the rear end.

A really-good weight-distributing (WD) hitch, such as the Reese Strait-Line, will remove some of the sag from the rear suspension, but probably not enough to bring the headlights back down to earth. So you'll probably need both a really good WD hitch as well as the air bags.

Keystone Cougar makes several different floorplans. If yours is the smallest travel trailer, the model #21RBS, then here are the specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Cougar XLite Travel Trailer Model 21RBS
Shipping Weight 5201
Carrying Capacity 1999
Shipping Weight + Carrying Capacity = 7,200 GVWR
Overall Length 259 with ~21 box
Typical wet and loaded gross weight = 7,100
Typical wet and loaded tongue weight @ 13% = 923

But if yours is the Cougar 25BHS fifth wheel RV trailer with GVWR of 10,000 pounds and wet and loaded pin weight over 1,500 pounds, then you're right, you need to trade for a much-lighter TT.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

Lee335,

I am in a similar situation and here are the numbers from my weighing things at a CAT scale. I was pretty much loaded to travel with the exception of my wife not being there.

Quote:
F150 with just me and the drawbar from heck attached= 6040 pounds

Weight of truck with TT attached= 6760 pounds
Weight of TT attached to TV = 5780

So if I do my maths correctly the tongue weight = 720 pounds
Trailer weight without being attached to truck = 6500 poiunds

Labelling on the TT claims a dry weight of 5890 and a capacity of 1250 for cargo so we have about 610 pounds of cargo.

We have about 11% tongue weight.
That said my truck is rated to tow 7700 pounds.

I have spent some time learning how to setup and adjust the Blue Ox WDH, that was a bit of a learning curve.

My wife and I travel light and our TT is a Keystone Cougar XLite 25RET, a couples coach layout with a rear kitchen and no fixed dinette table but does have a large "L" sectional couch in the slide out.

My truck tows this well and feels very stable on the road. Hills (as much as we have in central Oklahoma) are not a problem. I do like the Tow/Haul option with the tranny. It down shifts well and takes the load off of the brakes.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Probably, but that doesn't mean you cannot RV for a while if you pay attention to details.

Your EcoBoost drivetrain is amazing. Your "tow rating" is over 9,000 pounds, which means you have enough power and torque to tow a TT that weighs up to about 9,000 pounds without overheating anything in the drivetrain of your F-150. Yeah, you'll probably be overloaded over the payload capacity of your F-150, but so is about 90% of all RVers that tow a 24' TT with a half-ton pickup. Pump the tires up to the max PSI on the sidewall, don't try to haul much in the pickup other than family and pets, and you'll probably be okay with a TT that weighs less than about 7,100 pounds. If the rear end sags because of hitch weight, with the headlights aiming at the stars, then add Firestone RideRite air bags to the rear suspension, and when towing pump up the air bags enough too remove the sag from the rear end.

A really-good weight-distributing (WD) hitch, such as the Reese Strait-Line, will remove some of the sag from the rear suspension, but probably not enough to bring the headlights back down to earth. So you'll probably need both a really good WD hitch as well as the air bags.

Keystone Cougar makes several different floorplans. If yours is the smallest travel trailer, the model #21RBS, then here are the specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Cougar XLite Travel Trailer Model 21RBS
Shipping Weight 5201
Carrying Capacity 1999
Shipping Weight + Carrying Capacity = 7,200 GVWR
Overall Length 25’9” with ~21’ box
Typical wet and loaded gross weight = 7,100
Typical wet and loaded tongue weight @ 13% = 923

But if yours is the Cougar 25BHS fifth wheel RV trailer with GVWR of 10,000 pounds and wet and loaded pin weight over 1,500 pounds, then you're right, you need to trade for a much-lighter TT.
Hi SmokeyWren,I have the Cougar 28BHS TT, 6,298 lbs (published) and weighs in at #6872 lbs unloaded. I'm not sure of the loaded weight. I am using a Draw Tite Pro series WD hitch with 1,000 LB bars. After reading your post I did some reserch and I am looking at upgrading ther WD hitch, it seams that their are better options avalable.
Lee335
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Hi Parrott Head, Thanks for the response. How do you like the Blue Ox WDH set up? I just started researching WDH set ups and like all things associated with trailering and capacity there are many options and different approaches.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have the Cougar 28BHS TT, 6,298 lbs (published) and weighs in at #6872 lbs unloaded.
I don't see a 28BHS with a quick search. But 2010 29BHS has unloaded weight of 6,298 and CCC of 1502 for GVWR of 7,800. If you load the TT to around 7,300 pounds for typical camping trip, that's tongue weight of 949 pounds, and hitch weight (including the WD hitch) of over 1,000 pounds.

I doubt if your wet and loaded TV will have over 1,000 pounds payload capacity available for hitch weight.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi Parrott Head, Thanks for the response. How do you like the Blue Ox WDH set up? I just started researching WDH set ups and like all things associated with trailering and capacity there are many options and different approaches.
Hi back at ya! The Blue Ox is the first WDH I've owned. We rented a TT that was the weight and length we had set as a max for our comfort level and the rental place provided an EZ hitch with the straight bars. That worked pretty well for us but we only used it that one time.

WHen we purchased a TT it came with the Blue Ox. That was a plus for us.

I like it pretty well. I kind of tinker with things a bit and after reviewing the setup procedure videos and all that I think I have it where it pretty much needs to be.

We do no have it perfectly level, following some wisdom I was given I have the nose just a bit low. Not nearly as low as the original owner had it, but a tad lower than the instructions indicate.

I tow on the ninth link, as the video says to and the bars have two small dimples which indicate the bars are meant for 750 pounds or tongue weight. Our TT is right at that weight.

It's easy enough to hook up and pretty clean, not a lot of grease to mess with. I do not let my wife ratchet the cams around as she is not mechanically inclined and tends to put her knuckles in the way when she releases the catch.

It's makes very little noise and now that I have it dialed in seems to do a find job. I live in Oklahoma so we often are towing with crosswinds.

I am running about 11% tongue weight so I may increase that just a bit to see if I gain anything there. I have a water tank up front that would make adding weight a breeze and if that did not help or even hindered operation I could drain the tank.

The EZ brand that the rental company supplies worked very well and it was on a rig about the same weight but a few feet longer. I think it was even easier to hook up since you used the electric tongue jacks to raise the back of the TV and then just slid the bars into place. Not sure if the Blue Ox is worth the higher cost between the two.

If shopping used you can sure save a lot of money on WDH equipment.

Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote