Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

Help me with my Hitch

Ok ,here goes we are trading in our 05 Winnebago Adventurer and purchasing a 2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3650RL w/a 17,500 lb GVCW and we will be towing it with a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 w/ the Cummins diesel.
So our quandary is what to do for a hitch , the Trilogy has the Trail-air Tri-glide on it, so should we go with an air-ride or a standard hitch ? We have been looking at these Mountain Master Truck Equipment and this Air Ride Hitch or something comparable since I really don't know what works best since all that we have had is motorhomes any help would be appreciated
Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant530 View Post
So our quandary is what to do for a hitch , the Trilogy has the Trail-air Tri-glide on it, so should we go with an air-ride or a standard hitch ?
Standard. You already have an air-ride kingpin (pin) box, so you don't need to duplicate the air ride part.
Ultra-Fab Products, Inc.| - Trailair® Pin Box

Your 5er will have a wet and loaded pin weight of almost 3,500 pounds, and the GVWR of the trailer is over 17k. So you need a hitch with at least 3500 pounds pin weight capacity and 18k gross trailer weight capacity.

I don't think Dodge makes a shorty dually, so you probably don't need a slider hitch.

The hitch mounting system in the truck bed is one big difference in 5er hitches. Most have bed rails that are in the bed, and the hitch plugs into those bed rails. Most folks prefer the hitch rails to be mounted under the bed, so when you remove the hitch you have a clean bed floor. But those cost quite a bit more than the ones with the bed rails in the bed. I'll use Reese as the example for two different 5er hitches that will work great with your trailer:

Reese Elite hitch and install kit = under bed rails:

Fifth Wheel for 2012 Dodge Ram Pickup - Reese Elite RP30142

Fifth Wheel Installation Kit for 2012 Dodge Ram Pickup - Reese Elite RP30074

Complete Reese Elite Fifth Wheel Kit from ETrailer.com: Retail: $2,001.64 Today: $1,639.34

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reese Select Plus 20k 5er hitch with in-bed rails:
Fifth Wheel Head: RP30081 Price: $719.95
Installation Rails: RP50140-58 Price: $294.90
Complete Fifth Wheel Kit: Retail: $1,820.24, Today: $1,014.85 from ETrailer.com
Fifth Wheel Hitch Specs: 5000 lbs TW (max pin weight), 20000 lbs GTW (gross trailer weight)

Reese Select Plus 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch - Single Jaw - 20,000 lbs RP30081

Reese Quick-Install Custom Base Rails and Installation Kit for 5th Wheel Trailer Hitches RP50140-58

Note that Reese also makes cheap 5er hitches called the Pro Series. Don't even look at those.

Install cost for the bed rails will be more for the Elite 5er hitch. The smart pros remove the bed, then install is a snap. You can do it without removing the bed, put it's a PITA working in tight, cramped space under the bed. Download the install instructions and understand them before you attempt to DIY.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #3

SmokeyWren , Sir thank you for the education on how to do it , spent a good part of the day researching , its a sharp learning curve for someone like me who has never had a fifth wheel.
I guess the next step is to decide whether to go with the Reese or one of the other brands ,I really liked the B&W Companion but it maxes out at 18,000 , or I could opt for one of these Mountain Master Truck Equipment , options are kind of limited here in my area ,and I could but prefer not to do it myself. Again thank you for your insight you have been very helpful !
Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

I have a B & W and it is great. I would call them and ask if they can make hitch to meet your needs. They are good to work with
lyncjim is offline   Reply With Quote