Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Help moving a park model

Im new to this so bear with me. My husband and i were offered a park model with the understanding we would tow it away. My husband is in illinois now trying to to do this, but because the trailer has been sitting for years it has obviously sunk into the ground. To make matters worse the brakes seem to have seized up and he can not break them free to tow it off the property. The contractor who has been helping us cut the brake lines hoping to release them but that did not work. Any advise on how to get this thing moving again?
Momluvs2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #2

Take the wheels off and pull the drums and rip the brake innards out Re pack the bearing while you are there.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yeap, Jack up the axles, pull the wheels and hubs. You are probably going to have to rebuild the wheel bearings and brakes. Maybe even replace the spindles if they are really corroded.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #4

Yup what they say. I wouldn't even try to tow that away after that many years without reworking the wheel bearings. Better to take care of it there than down the road in the middle of nowhere.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, all of the above and the tires will probably need to be replaced. They may have plenty of tread but probably rotten.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Double check the width of the trailer at the widest point, including anything sticking out past the "box" of the trailer. If it's more than 102 inches (8.5 feet) then you need a special "wide load" permit to tow it on a highway.

Before you get into disassembly and rebuilding the trailer axles, check on the price of new axles, including hubs and brakes on at least one of the axles. It will be a lot less work to replace the axles with new ones instead of tearing them apart and rebuilding them.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #7

And now you know why it was given away

Soon you will understand the meaning of 'money pit'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #8

I know you said 'Park Model' and not a Mobile Home Trailer like a single wide...is that correct. If is a Park Model then most likey it just has two axles and not 6 or so. Also a Park Model can be moved with a truck like F-350 while a single wide trailer needs a different (much bigger) type of truck.

If they can not break the rusted wheels/hubs free by rocking back and forth the new axles might be the easiest path.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #9

Where will you be taking the trailer. Keep in mind park models dont have holding tanks for sewer or water. They generally wouldnt have propane tanks or any of the other features of a travel trailer. Are you putting it on a lot somewhere as a cottage.