Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #15

Is a duely really that much more stable than a SRW truck?I really don't notice any movement when I get passed.I do notice it in the wind a little though.You DRW guys don't bite my head off... I was just wondering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker16 View Post
Is a duely really that much more stable than a SRW truck?I really don't notice any movement when I get passed.I do notice it in the wind a little though.You DRW guys don't bite my head off... I was just wondering.
See my post #9 above for 1 reason to go dually.

I also feel, that with the pin weight he's looking at, 2,345, a dually is rated for that.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

It is not all a stability issue. You also have to look at the payload capacity of the truck to handle the pin weight of the trailer. The 14,000# GVWR trailer will have a pin weight closer to 2800#, not the 2300# quote on the trailer. A 5ers major storage is all forward of the axles and winds up on the pin.

For a smaller trailer a SRW will work fine.

Ken
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #18

An RV salesman would tell you that a F-150 would easily pull that - what he WON'T tell you is how it will handle, maneuver in crosswinds, brake on long steep downgrades - and how long the drivetrain will last!

My Ford-lovin' RV buddy tows a similar Alpenlite 5er with his '99 Ford SD 250 diesel - went thru the first tranny, all U-joints and differential in 65K miles...

What a tow vehicle will tow physically, may be FAR different from what it will pull safely, stop properly - and deliver a decent lifespan in the process - DON'T "cheap out" on the tow vehicle - your safety, that of your family and other travelers around you are all at risk!

A 350 would be the absolute BOTTOM of my list for that class 5er - and a 550 or fl-60 would be a strong consideration - check the prices, they aren't all that expensive, and FAR more capable...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think stopping has been covered - DRW trucks have a larger braking surface on the rear wheels - note each wheel does not have brakes, but the brakes they have are larger than the ones on SRW - it goes with the payload increase. BTW most SRW one tons have only a few hundred lbs more payload than their 3/4T brothers.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #20

Thanks for the answers guys.My pin weight is only 1350 dry,So I have a pretty good comfort zone.If I were to go with a bigger 5er I would probably go DRW.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
My pin weight is only 1350 dry,So I have a pretty good comfort zone.
Dry pin weight is meaningless. I'd really use 20% of the 5th wheel's GVWR as an estimate of the pin weight of the loaded 5th wheel for the purpose of sizing your tow vehicle.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Dry pin weight is meaningless. I'd really use 20% of the 5th wheel's GVWR as an estimate of the pin weight of the loaded 5th wheel for the purpose of sizing your tow vehicle.

Rusty
They are not meaningless when they are actually weighed.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #23

Quote:
They are not meaningless when they are actually weighed.
WELL, perhaps not - IF you plan that all your RVing will be done with a dry and empty rig...

Dunno about yours - but with ours, the difference between dry weight - and real life, loaded weight (you know, the way we actually USE it!) - is pretty dramatic...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
WELL, perhaps not - IF you plan that all your RVing will be done with a dry and empty rig...

Dunno about yours - but with ours, the difference between dry weight - and real life, loaded weight (you know, the way we actually USE it!) - is pretty dramatic...

Tracker, to get a ballpark idea of the fully loaded pin weight, divide the dry pin weight by the UVW. Multiply the GVW of the trailer by that percentage. You may not be loaded to GVW all the time, but you certainly be closer to the GVW than the UVW. When properly and safely matching a trailer and truck to tow it, ignore the UVW, the important numbers are the GVW and CCC. This fifth wheel weight calculator: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml
is very useful in this endeavor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #25

Tracker......
Looking at the FR website, I notice that the specs on the 29RBLS happens to mention that the dry pin weight of that unit is 1330......

"They are not meaningless when they are actually weighed."

Have you weighed yours?

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #26

Yes Sir Joe...No LP,no Batteries 1350.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #27

I can tell you this; we have a 39 ft 2008 Forest River 5er and a 2001 F250 V10 4X4 super duty with trailering package. My 5er is approximately the same as yours, weight wise. I've installed air suspension to the rear of the F250 (Didn't Need it, just looking for a smoother ride) and Heavy duty shocks, 10 ply tires. I have NO PROBLEM PULLING the 5er. The 4X4 has plenty of suspension without the air bags but rides rough,especially with the heavy duty shocks, thus the air bags. There was a little sway in cross winds before the 10 ply tires, but with those and the trailer towing package, that's eliminated. Still, after saying all that, I'd opt for the F350 dually just for the safety and traction of the dual wheels. Diesel is a LOT more expensive than gas but fuel mileage is better than the V10 gas burner(15-17 versus 9-10). Odor and noise used to be an issue with the diesels but that is just about nil anymore. These are just a few observations I've made over the past 38 years of RVing. Your preferences and wallet as well as your safety and peace of mind are your personal things to deal with. I prefer a little over more than under when it comes to safety, power and comfort.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #28

Tracker,
Nice to know FR is close on dry weights, most aren't.
joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote