Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help - no 12volts at connector

A friend of mine decided to get into the camping game. He purchased a 2016 camping trailer and a 2011 Ford pickup. Here’s the problem.
The Ford is a 2011 F-150 (XLT) (like new). 23.5 V6 Twin Turbo with Towing Package, Transmission Cooler, Brake Control, etc. Tows beautiful, but with one problem. No 12volts thru the Pickup Trailer Connector (7-Way Connector) to the trailer, so the trailer battery is not being charged when connected to the pickup. Ford said that he needed a relay and 30amp fuse installed/plugged in the fuse/relay tray located just behind the top of the radiator. These two items were purchased and plugged into the “fuse/relay tray” but still no 12 volts to the pickups trailer connector.

Any advice as to what needs to be done to make this work???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

I am not familiar with the set up, but I read that you need a fuse in position numbers 21 and 9 along with the relay for it to work.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logthumper View Post
A friend of mine decided to get into the camping game. He purchased a 2016 camping trailer and a 2011 Ford pickup. Here’s the problem.
The Ford is a 2011 F-150 (XLT) (like new). 23.5 V6 Twin Turbo with Towing Package, Transmission Cooler, Brake Control, etc. Tows beautiful, but with one problem. No 12volts thru the Pickup Trailer Connector (7-Way Connector) to the trailer, so the trailer battery is not being charged when connected to the pickup. Ford said that he needed a relay and 30amp fuse installed/plugged in the fuse/relay tray located just behind the top of the radiator. These two items were purchased and plugged into the “fuse/relay tray” but still no 12 volts to the pickups trailer connector.

Does the display panel in the F150 notice that the TT is hitched? AFAIK you should 'see' info from the TT when you start up the truck. Things like the brake control setting should appear. If nothing shows, then there might be a problem with the connector, or the relay might be bad or not installed correctly.

I may be lucky - didn't have to do anything to my 2010 F150 to get the trailer hookup to work. Came right up the first time I hitched up the TT and plugged it in.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #4

A friend setup his Nissan to tow. Needed fuses and relays under the hood. May be the same for you.

If you need relays, don't get them at the dealer. O'Rileys have them behind the counter. Not expensive.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logthumper View Post

Did you have the key turned to "ON". Ford ignition key must be turned on to provide 12V constant power to the RV plug.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

Ignition key has to be ON for that 12V DC to be energized on FORDS (provided the fuses are installed and not blown)

That 'charge' line is only HOT when ignition is ON so trailer batteries do not draw down truck batteries
Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #7

So here is a another thought... I found that I had problems keeping my batteries up in my RV because of the voltage drop in the small wires used by the factory... I started at one of the batteries... ran a 8 gauge wire with a 30 amp fuse from the batteries to the pin on the connector... I picked up .4 of a volt, and now the RV batteries charge and stay at almost 90%... just a thought...
Old 06-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My 2012 F-150 with the regular towing pkg came with the relay and fuse in a plastic bag in the glovebox. Dealer is expected to install them during dealer prep (PDI or pre-delivery inspection) of new vehicles. But if the PDI guy didn't do his job right, then you have to do it later. The wiring diagram in the Owner's Guide shows where the relay and fuse must be installed in the power distribution box (fuse box) under the hood. Also check the wiring diagram for any fuses related to the trailer in the fuse box in the passenger's foot well. If you have all the fuses and relays indicated in the wiring diagrams, your trailer plug should work as intended.

The 12-volt "hot" wire used for RV battery charging is big enough to maintain the charge in the RV battery. But it's not big enough to carry enough voltage/wattage to charge a discharged battery. If you need for the altenator in the tow vehicle to charge a discharged RV battery, such as when boondocking without shore power, then you need a much heavier wire from the TV battery to the trailer plug, and probably from the trailer plug to the RV battery.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the replies which I forwarded to my friend. As of this morning, he said that the replies were very helpful and he now has 12V at the connector.
Thanks
Logthumper