Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #1

Question Help Wanted on Tow Vehicle

Hello!

I am soon to be the proud and excited owner of a 2001 Casita travel trailer - a 17' Liberty Deluxe. However, my current car is too small and I need to purchase a different tow vehicle. I've landed on a Ford Explorer. I know it will need to have a Class III Tow Package and a Weight Distribution Hitch. The Casita weighs 2400 lbs dry. I also have read I need a V6 engine with AWD - does anyone have any other advice about the Ford Explorer? I can't afford new, but am looking at 2016's and 2017's. PS - I'm a little confused about 4WD and AWD, which is better, and if there is even an option. Are both ok?

Thanks!
Diana
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Diana! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new Casita! I too like the looks of the Ford Explorer, although I haven't owned one lately. If you think you will ever want to do an off-roading then I would get the 4WD, otherwise the AWD will be fine. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

There are a lot of things to consider (one of them isn't "keep her between the ditches) I still have no idea why the above person writes that.
Back to the subject. AWD or all wheel drive distributes most of the power to the rear axle and squeezes some power to front. As conditions change the percentage of power to either axle can change. 4 wheel drive and depending on if you have a form of posi-traction (distributes equal power to each wheel on the same axle) applies the same amount of power to the front and rear axles.
Another thing to consider is the Explorer is a relatively short wheel base vehicle (front to rear measured at the center point of the axle. It's also a narrow vehicle so with the standard mirrors, you won't be able to see down the side of the trailer which will require add on mirrors. (most all RV supply stores carry them) You're also going to need a brake controller added to the car (unless it comes from the factory) as well as a good weight distributing hitch. Personally you'd be much better off buying a used full size 1/2 ton pick up truck
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I pulled my boat with my Z28 for years and loved it.
I would think almost every SUV would pull your Casita.
Get your SUV and try pulling it. You might not need a weight distribution hitch.
Congrats on the Casita.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #5

Back in the early 70's I pulled my boat with a 1970 AAR Cuda. Had a custom hitch made and it pulled it fine but the boat was low so my mirrors could see traffic behind me and it had a longer wheel base than an Explorer which made for a more stable ride.

Pulling a live in trailer is MUCH more different than pulling a boat
Old 01-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer. Your Casita is narrow, lightweight, with aerodynamic radiuses on the roof. I can't see where any newer explorer would have problems towing your trailer. You may want to look at Reese light weight weight distribution hitches with built in sway control. They are made just for your type of application.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Friends used to have a Casita, they pulled it with an SUV, no problems. You certainly don't need a 1/2 ton pickup.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #8

Yes, Yes, Yes, a SUV will pull the trailer. That's been established.
Based on personal experience I wrote what I wrote.

Theoretically you can pull the trailer with a Fiat but stop and consider several things. If a SUV is what you want then my opinion is go for a larger SUV such as a Tahoe, Expedition, etc. It will make pulling the trailer much more comfortable and safer.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana S View Post
Hello!

I am soon to be the proud and excited owner of a 2001 Casita travel trailer - a 17' Liberty Deluxe. However, my current car is too small and I need to purchase a different tow vehicle. I've landed on a Ford Explorer. I know it will need to have a Class III Tow Package and a Weight Distribution Hitch. The Casita weighs 2400 lbs dry. I also have read I need a V6 engine with AWD - does anyone have any other advice about the Ford Explorer? I can't afford new, but am looking at 2016's and 2017's.
For that size trailer, you should be fine with an Explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana S View Post
PS - I'm a little confused about 4WD and AWD, which is better, and if there is even an option. Are both ok?

Thanks!
Diana
4WD is better for rock crawling and exceptionally poor terrain, but should never be used on asphalt or concrete roads, even in bad weather. AWD is always on, and is great in poor weather on asphalt and concrete roads, and is even good for dirt and gravel roads (like BLM forestry roads). It's not good for rock crawling and exceptionally poor terrain though. Most SUV/UTVs use AWD, but trucks use 4WD. For the vast majority of people, AWD is better.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #10

Welcome! Take a page out of DebiT's playbook...
Casita and new Dodge Durango. If the Explorer is "you", compare specs on DebiT's Durango, and use that to verify the Explorer's capability.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/compa...kg-438494.html
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #11

The explorer will work fine and you shouldn't need 4WD/AWD unless you plan on off-roading.

AWD/4WD differences:

4WD uses a locked transfer case with 2 speeds; low and high. Equal power/revolutions are sent to both the front and rear axles.

AWD does not usually have high/low speeds in the transfer case but may have the ability to shift into or out of AWD. Most of the time AWD is always on. The AWD transfer case operates like a standard differential in that there may be a difference in power/revolutions between the front and rear axles. So although you may have AWD you can still get stuck with just 1 wheel peeling.

A 4WD without locking differentials has to have at least 2 wheels peeling to be stuck; one front and one rear.

A 4WD with locking differentials front and rear will always spin all 4 wheels at the same speed.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
For that size trailer, you should be fine with an Explorer.

4WD is better for rock crawling and exceptionally poor terrain, but should never be used on asphalt or concrete roads, even in bad weather. AWD is always on, and is great in poor weather on asphalt and concrete roads, and is even good for dirt and gravel roads (like BLM forestry roads). It's not good for rock crawling and exceptionally poor terrain though. Most SUV/UTVs use AWD, but trucks use 4WD. For the vast majority of people, AWD is better.
Actually some Jeeps come with full time 4 wheel drive. My '97 Grand Cherokee was that way. My present '14 Wrangler is 2wd only on hard pavement. 4wd is only for slick surfaces or off road.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually some Jeeps come with full time 4 wheel drive. My '97 Grand Cherokee was that way. My present '14 Wrangler is 2wd only on hard pavement. 4wd is only for slick surfaces or off road.
Really? Full time 4 wheel drive? That's weird. They must be dedicated off road vehicles or something like that. Without some slipping mechanism, you'd chew up the drive train in a parking lot. Did it have a limited slip differential in the front, rear, and transfer case?
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Really? Full time 4 wheel drive? That's weird. They must be dedicated off road vehicles or something like that. Without some slipping mechanism, you'd chew up the drive train in a parking lot. Did it have a limited slip differential in the front, rear, and transfer case?
Yes Jeep called it "full time 4wd" back in the day, I think they haven't done that in 10+ years now. The vehicles had a center differential as opposed to the old school transfer case that locks front and rear drive shaft together. The "better" systems had a viscous coupler or electrically controlled coupler to lock front and rear together if needed. "Full time" meant you can use it all the time as opposed to part time systems that can only be used off pavement or in the snow.
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags