Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Help with horn blowing on toad

I tow a 2014 Buick Enclave with the Air Force One and 2 fuse bypass switches. When I lock my doors while towing and then unlock the drivers door it sets my alarm off sounding my horn. I have called everyone but no solution and I have tried different sequences on setting up to tow and also when disconnecting. Any help would be appreciated
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #2

I know nothing about the system in your Buick, but when I lock my Chevy truck with the remote and I try to unlock the driver door with a key, my alarm also goes off. Have you just tried using the remote?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
My remote will not operate my door locks with the switches on that disconnect the fuses

Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #4

Maybe another way? I can lock my truck and set the alarm by using a button on the driver arm rest to lock all doors, even when the doors are open. My alarm will set when the last door closes. If yours has such a switch, how about using it before you activate the 2 fuse disconnect switches?
2nd idea. I'd sit DW or a friend inside and not activate the switches until I used the fob to lock it up. Then let friend throw switches. See if your system is now in tow mode. If it is have the friend deactivate the switches and see if you can use the fob to unlock without the horn alarm. If that works, you'll have to relocate the switches to under the hood, in the trunk, out of sight in the grill or somewhere you can activate them after locking up.
Another Question. In the current configuration, when you have the horn going and open the door, try throwing the switches and then use the fob to disarm the alarm. Not the best solution, but you'll get pretty fast at it if it works LOL (sorry about that, I couldn't resist)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Maybe another way? I can lock my truck and set the alarm by using a button on the driver arm rest to lock all doors, even when the doors are open. My alarm will set when the last door closes. If yours has such a switch, how about using it before you activate the 2 fuse disconnect switches?
2nd idea. I'd sit DW or a friend inside and not activate the switches until I used the fob to lock it up. Then let friend throw switches. See if your system is now in tow mode. If it is have the friend deactivate the switches and see if you can use the fob to unlock without the horn alarm. If that works, you'll have to relocate the switches to under the hood, in the trunk, out of sight in the grill or somewhere you can activate them after locking up.
Another Question. In the current configuration, when you have the horn going and open the door, try throwing the switches and then use the fob to disarm the alarm. Not the best solution, but you'll get pretty fast at it if it works LOL (sorry about that, I couldn't resist)
I will try working on locking the doors a different way and see if that solves my problem. I have one toggle switch in the car and the other one is under the hood so when I open the door and the horn starts beeping I have to pull the hood release and run and throw the switch. I also have a friend that tows an Acadia that has the same problem.
Thanks for the suggestions
Old 10-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Why do you need to lock the doors while towing. If you leave the vehicle parked un attended then you could activate the fuses and use your remote. When going back to towing just reverse and leave it unlocked.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So that's where the term "Horny Toad" came from. Sorry couldn't resist. Hope you resolve your problem.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

Locking the toad is a good idea in any case. About 10 years ago I was in a restaurant between Springfield and Branson, MO. When DW and I were starting to leave there were a number of folks and police cars in the parking lot. Seems someone disconnected this guy's toad, opened the door and drove off with it. He had the key in the ignition to release the steering. I had my toad locked but I wasn't particular about doing it EVERY time. Since then I've become absolutely anal about locking it up. Yeah, locking tow pins too. Anything to slow them up and let them choose you, not me. Sorry, that's the way it is.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:04 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you locking the doors with the inside switch on the drivers side when you get out? If so then yes, it sets the alarm so don't do that. Just make sure all the others doors are already locked when you set it up for towing and then use the key to lock the drivers door when you are done. This should prevent the alarm form turning on, if not try just pushing the drivers door lock pop up button down, NOT the Door lock switch, which locks all doors and arms the system, just the lock on the door itself.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a fuse you can pull or a relay which will disable the alarm

But since I can not resist a joke: Have you considered naming your car Horraito (hornblower)/
Old 10-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I don't have an answer but I have a Cadillac SRX. It has no key just the key fob and push button start. I never lock it, I was reading that part,
no danger even if someone disconnected it. Once the shifter is moved into
park it still won't start without the keyfob. Believe me I know as we accidentally left it home one time, he changed clothes and we had it on to warm up before we left for the airport. We stopped and couldn't restart it,
not to make it a long story but took all day to get it towed in and another fob, so you might want to not lock or consider another vehicle. Just a thought. Oh and my horn doesn't toot nor the theft alarms don't go off.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:20 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
I had a dummy key made ( no chip) so I can unlock the wheel, but unable to start the engine. I lock the doors manually as well, use key to unlock, no alarm.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing a keyless C-Max. Locked the doors on my first test run. Alarm noise and flashing lights followed me down the road. Now I don't lock the doors except when I have to leave the vehicles.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My jeep doesn't have that issue, push button start and yes I sometimes use the key fob or even lock the door by pushing the door lock button on the door, but I never use the key fob to unlock the door. I just grab the handle.

You call your Rooty Tooty also.

Tags
toad