Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
CD

I absolutly don't want 2 ft wide fenders in my way.

I have yet to see a dually with 2' wide fenders (even both added together). My Dodge is 7" wider on each side than a 3/4T of the same year. 2' wide fenders would make the truck over 10' wide and that would be a problem.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #16

I think he had in mind 1 ft on either side.
Some people don't want to mess with the width of the dually--when I got my first one, I got it stuck in a bank drive-in lane...
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I use a one ton DRW and would not even consider anything smaller. The only thing I don't like about a DRW truck is that they handle terrible in the snow. I used mine which is 4 wheel drive for one winter for work and it now stays in the garage and is used mainly as my TV. I bought a small 4x4 for work to get thru the snow.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I think he had in mind 1 ft on either side.
Some people don't want to mess with the width of the dually--when I got my first one, I got it stuck in a bank drive-in lane...
Joe
I guess I have been lucky. The only place I haven't been able to get through was in my own yard, between 2 posts that had 8' center to center.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
My F250 has been a great performer towing the trailer in my signiture. Its very stable because I added an extra long ply on the spring pack, The tires are 75PSI when the trailer is off the hitch and 80PSI when on the hitch, exactly what Ford recomends. The long box of my SC Ford might also be an advantage, but its the same feeling as my previous 2500 GM short box was giving me. The rear spring pack of the Ford is far fron the capacity my previous GM had so I reinforced it. With stock spring you will have the feeling that the trailer drives the truck but with the extra ply that even the F350SRW don't have it brings the stability equal to the F350DRW. As for braking the Ford has the best rear braking capacity of all the 3 because of the larger 17" wheels with extra large discs. In addition the Fords are the heaviest TV available to tow these heavy trailers. If the trailer has 3000 pin weight the truck has 11K and the trailer has 12K for a good balance, and my total weight is in spec of 23000 Lbs. The truck has 10K braking power and the trailer has 14K of braking power with 7K axles. .
I am very satisfied with my setup and wonder what I will get for the future truck as I work with my truck and the F350 SRW sits to high and no better then the F250, and I absolutly don't want 2 ft wide fenders in my way.
I hate to be a naysayer, but a post of this nature provides some incorrect information to RVers trying to find out the truth about towing a 5th wheel.

An F250 hauling a 15.5k 5th wheel is way over weight. Using the normal rule of thumb of 20% GW as pin weight, that 3,100# alone is above the GVWR for that truck. Look at the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver's door frame, it will tell you what your cargo capacity really is. Forget the springs, air bags, wheels, brakes, tires, axles, etc you put on...you still have a 3/4 ton truck with the capacity as noted on the sticker.

I'm glad you are happy with your system, but I would not be, and a new RVer needs to understand you can't add things to a truck and increase it's GVWR or GCWR.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I hate to be a naysayer, but a post of this nature provides some incorrect information to RVers trying to find out the truth about towing a 5th wheel.

An F250 hauling a 15.5k 5th wheel is way over weight. Using the normal rule of thumb of 20% GW as pin weight, that 3,100# alone is above the GVWR for that truck. Look at the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver's door frame, it will tell you what your cargo capacity really is. Forget the springs, air bags, wheels, brakes, tires, axles, etc you put on...you still have a 3/4 ton truck with the capacity as noted on the sticker.

I'm glad you are happy with your system, but I would not be, and a new RVer needs to understand you can't add things to a truck and increase it's GVWR or GCWR.
X2!