Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #15

When I first got my camper I had the same problem, I was pulling it with a 2014 F-250. A friend was telling me how to set up my WD hitch and after being very un happy with it, I found out he was telling me wrong. I went on line and looked up the manufactures recommendations on set up and it made a world of difference. I also added a Friction sway bar and it was like the difference of night and day.
JDF8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
RTFM works every time
Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #17

I always thought the Avalanche was a modified Chevy 1500 with about the same capability.

And that Chevy 5.3 litre engine is an older design that does not provide Ram 5.7 litre Hemi nor Ford 3.5 litre Eco-Boost power.

But IMHO, that trailer should match up to a 1/2 ton truck very nice.

I experienced the same trailer towing experience when I was using a tiny Honda Ridgeline. When I moved to a Newer F-150 I did not get pushed around by semi's.

That makes me think you are on the right track with getting the WD anti-sway set-up dialed in better.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
once you get your wd hitch adjusted properly replace the gouged ball. check for similar damage on the coupler then use ep grease on both.
1000 miles should not do this!
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
Randy,

That is the most depressing post I have read.....I hope you are wrong, but thanks for the put
The unloaded dry weight of that TT is listed at 4703lbs. If you got the tow package your truck should be closer to 16700lbs TT rated but even if it's 15000 gcvw you are good to go. Did you get the 5.3 or 6.2 L?

I have the 5.3 and could pull that plus another grand. Keep you weight in the truck down but that truck can handle that travel trailer all day long over hills and through the valleys.

Some on here think half tons are mini trucks, they are about 10 years behind. The best advice was the pro pride hitch, it's kinda like an upside down 5th wheel. Your trick and a propride WD will work out sweet.

My other half usually packs about 800lbs, so assuming your 4703lb TT is really 5000lbs with batteries and propane tanks and you pack 1000lbs your wet and loaded weight should be about 6k. The 1500 with towing package is rated to pull 12000 but let's assume you have the standard package rated about 9100 to 11000. You gcvwr should be 15000 to 16700. Your payload is your biggest limiting factor and depending on your truck should be 1670 to 2100, let's assume the lower number.

Your tongue weight should be about 750, add this to your loaded, fueled with hitch (wet) truck weight. My very similar truck weighs in all ready to go at 5600, I'll assume you are close. Your gvwr should either be 7200 or 7400 so we'll go with 7200 minus 5600=1600, minus hitch 750=850 then minus you and your better halfs weight, I'll figure 400lbs and add in another 150lbs for a tool box and better halfs purse. 850lbs -400=450-150=300lbs left over. These are only estimates figure your exact numbers but you should be at least 2000lbs under gcvwr, 3000lbs under tow rating and a couple hundred under on payload.

Take the advice to get a pro pride, it's expensive, but you'll be glad you did. Enjoy that new truck and trailer, it should tow sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Semi passing motion is mostly due to TT length vs TV wheelbase as well as weight differences - ie tail wagging the dog syndrome. An Avalanche has a relatively short WB - compared to say a crew cab pu with full sized bed. I noticed a difference moving from a 120" WB to a 144" WB and a slightly heavier TV.

Porposing is another problem of weight distribution and rear shocks on the TV - try HD shocks on the TV.

Your WD hitch is not set up right - when correctly set up the TT TV and WD Bars should all be level - or with the TV the body should be back to unloaded height it is OK for the rear of the truck to be slightly lower but not much.

I had similar issues with one of my TV/TT setups. I was at the max CGWR for my TV. I tried shocks, tires, and finally stiffer spring bars on the hitch -- which was the final answer - until I got a bigger TV.

The TT dealers are not the greatest at setting up hitches either - I have been known to spend half a day tinkering until I got it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
We have just recently moved from a pu to a Coachmen Freedom Express 246 RKS. I pulled it from SE MO to Mobile AL (500 miles) and 3 other trips of 150 miles or so. And my wife has to use a 2x4 to pry my butt from my driver’s seat. I don't know what "normal" trailering feels like, but if this is it....I don't think that I will be doing it for long.

Our TV is a 2007 Avalanche 5.3 2wd 3.7 gear ratio, 13000 GCWR and a GVWR 7000 or 6800 depending on what document. The TT has curb wt of 5076 and we have it loaded to abt 5900 (three CAT scale weighing). The dealer installed a Pro Series 49903 WD/Sway system, rated for 10k and 1k. (BTW only one friction sway bar....2nd will arrive from eTrailer tomorrow)

So the problem statements:
1. Push and pulled by passing 18 wheelers....very very uncomfortable
2. The rig feels "tender"....I would not want to turn the wheel quickly!!! Just too "tender"
2. Occasional "porpoising"....not a big issue but not comfortable

Observations
a. Just noticed that the passenger side WD bar is skewed towards the a frame (the chain is resting against the a frame) and the driver’s side is skewed away from the a frame...see pictures
b. The ball has worn a lot..
c. The TT is 2 3/4 inches higher at the bumper than at the hitch when coupled.
d. The front wheel well is within 1/8th-1/4 inch of original position after coupling
e. The rear wheel well is 2-2.25 inches lower than baseline position after coupling
f. The hitch socket on TT is 21.75 inches when tt is level
g. The ball on TV is 23 inches before coupling
h. Tongue wt for 3 weightings 636,617,700 (derived by subtracting TV wt with TT and TV wt w/o TT)
i. The WD bar chain on passenger side is not vertical ...the bracket is about 3/4 inch more forward than drivers side.

What can I do to take the very uncomfortable and downright scary pushing and pulling and very “Tender” feeling??
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
hmm, if I read this correctly, and using rounded numbers, your TV tare is 6000# and TT loaded is 6000#, for total 12000#. your GCW is only 1000# below max GCWR 13000#, leaving you with next to no margin. also, your TV cargo capacity is only 900#, which is less than your needs for passengers, TT tongue, hitch, fuel. these numbers indicate you are overloading your TV and will be constantly in an unsafe condition. you can try all the WD hitches you want, but these will not magically increase your TV GVWR. in fact, for these loads and capacities, an effective WD hitch may easily cause your front axles to be over stressed and dangerously.

note: people grossly misunderstand the mechanics of a WD. a WD does not magically shift weight. reason: weight derives from mass; the mass of your TT tongure remains at the hitch ball. a WD applies torque to shift the force of the TT tongue forwards. accomplished by the torsion bars. thus, your TV frame must be strong enough to withstand the forces of both this torque plus the mass applied by your TT. at maximum loads/forces, you will likely continue to have white knuckles. solution: get more truck.
I think if I understand correctly these were the numbers of the Avalanche that he traded in? No way that's the gvwr or gcvwr of a new gmc 1500 with tow package.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I always thought the Avalanche was a modified Chevy 1500 with about the same capability.

And that Chevy 5.3 litre engine is an older design that does not provide Ram 5.7 litre Hemi nor Ford 3.5 litre Eco-Boost power.

But IMHO, that trailer should match up to a 1/2 ton truck very nice.

I experienced the same trailer towing experience when I was using a tiny Honda Ridgeline. When I moved to a Newer F-150 I did not get pushed around by semi's.

That makes me think you are on the right track with getting the WD anti-sway set-up dialed in better.

Good luck
The new 5.3 is not the same as the old 5.3, I've had both. The new 5.3 is a high compression engine and like might and day from my old one.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #22

You tow the trailer nose up because the hitch ball is higher. It invites sway and you cant distribute weight properly, you don't have enough chain length.
What is your Avalanche's wheel diameter? Basic 16 inches are no good, there will be too much of tire sidewall sway. In any case, get your tire pressure to the max.
Fill fresh water tank to full, I assume it's upfront. Sway happens not because you have too much weght, but because there is may be too little weght on the rear of the truck, and rear suspensions of half ton puckups are soft, you can rock your truck from side to side to feel it. Then, compare it with a good sport sedan or SUV. You will feel the difference.
I dont think different hitch will help. I use similar hardware, although it is set correctly and TV is different. Feel absolutely nothing from 18 wheelers in 90 of the cases, very mild push/pull in the remaining 10%. Nothing scary.
2 nd sway bar may help, it will make the rig run smoother. There are always small gaps in the setup, between sway bars and balls, between towbar and hitch receiver; with time, wear and tear they get bigger, and some sway may get through, even if the setup is ideal. But the biggest reason for sway from 18 wheelers or moderate winds is tire and suspension compliance, among other things.
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a yellow sticker on the driver side door pillar that lists the cargo capacity, gross weight and axle ratings of your particular truck which wil vary from the brochure weights quite a bit. You should check it now. You should have a 3 day right of refusal in your state so consider returning it for a 3/4 ton if the capacity is too close. Sounds like you bought a newer, slightly better version of the same truck to me.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #24

Get a 99.5 - 2003 ford f250-350 with a 7.3 or an excursion with same motor. Minor suspension mods are due on an excursion. You just saved money on your funeral because that truck will last till you die and they can bury you in it.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #25

I bought a pro pride hitch after I bought a new TT larger than my prior one I love it. Before upgrading to this hitch I had the same issues as you, but the Pro pride solved those problems for me. It is definitely pricey, but I have peace of mind when pulling. If anything, I find myself driving too fast at times and have to slow down.
My two cents - I think you did upgrade and improve your truck and you can try the other suggestions first if you don't want to spend the money for the pro pride. I drive a Tundra and my previous TT was about the size of yours. With that TT I had the Equalizer hitch and never had issues and only occasionally felt the semis. I bought a larger TT and it was at that point I decided I needed the Pro-Pride.
Encpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:43 AM   #26

Update

Thank you to all for the great feed back.

As I said, I traded in the Avalanche for a GMC Sierra, 5.3 HD Cooling, 4.2 gear and the TV is still rated at 6800 but I have 1468 available vs the 937 on the Avey. And the GCWR is now 15000 vs the 13000 on the Avey.

I also purchased the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam WD and Sway control. It took several attempts to get it dialed in....but I think I am there.
Lvl TT hitch = 19.75
TV Ball = 20.5
TV Bsln RW = 38 with WD 36.25
TV Bsln FW = 36.375 with WD 36.25
Coupled TT sets level...!!

TT Wt = 5820 (without food and Personal loadout items...adds 170 and I am estimating that about 100 will be added to tongue...based on a Wt&Bal spread Sheet that I developed--real accurate on a single axle)

Current Tongue = 560(9.6%) + shifted cargo, Food and LO = 661(11%) and 5987 GVW

I have driven the rig about 8 miles on interstate at 55mph and she is alot better than the white knuckle Avey set up. I feel as comfortable at 55 as I did at 45 in the Avey....And I am hoping with the additional Tongue Wt, that the rig will feel even better.

The truck seems to have ample power and the Transmission temp only reached 170 on a hot day....albeit flat ground and not a long distance. and gets 9 mpg in-city and 11.5 highway.

We depart Friday morning for our maiden outing....so we will see.

again thanks to everyone for the very thoughtful and beneficial feedback.

I will give an another update next week after our 3 hour (one way) trip.
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #27

and the Wheelbase for the Sierra is 143.5 vs 130...not hugh but better
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing