Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #1

Hensely hitch

Just finished our first long trip since we replaced the Equalizer brand to a Hensley.

After a 2000 mile trip to Big Bend Tx from Okla. in some cases winds steady at 30 to 40 mph mostly broadsided to the rig I was amazed, Very solid at interstate speed in the wind.

I know the cost is up there but after this trip, I can honestly say it was worth every penny in comfortable driving instead of white knuckle driving during high wind conditions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #2

This is good information. Thanks for posting. Very impressive hitch. It is not easy controlling a trailer in that kind of cross wind.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

I had a Hensley for ten years when I towed a 2002 28' Sunline trailer and it never swayed! I'm convinced they are a great hitch and needed by folks if they have a trailer that has stability issues. That being said, I towed our 2014 Minnie 2201DS (27' and 6,500 lbs. loaded) with a Equalizer 4 pt hitch and never had any trailer sway or issues.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #4

Hopefully soon I will be pulling the trigger on a Hensley or Propride. Leaning towards Propride. Found a decent price on a used Hensley but I would need to swap out the stinger and pay $500 for a lifetime warranty. By the time all said and done I'm close to the price of a new one.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbroke View Post
Hopefully soon I will be pulling the trigger on a Hensley or Propride. Leaning towards Propride. Found a decent price on a used Hensley but I would need to swap out the stinger and pay $500 for a lifetime warranty. By the time all said and done I'm close to the price of a new one.
I found my ProPride on Craig's List. The first owner had used it for a few months, then his wife wanted a fifth wheel trailer. We negotiated for a coupla weeks before he finally let me have it for $1,000. Then I had to drive 400 miles to pick it up. Counting gas and one night in Motel 6, it cost me about $1,250. But it's been a wonderful hitch for my TT for the last several years.

The Hensley Arrow was sold for several years before Jim Hensley decided to update the hitch to fix some of the design flaws, and redesigned it into the ProPride. Then because the Arrow had a good reputation, he sold the rights to it to outsiders that are still selling it. A new Arrow and a new ProPride are about the same price, so I think the ProPride is a better deal. www.propridehitch.com
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same experience with my Hensley (bought used for $500)

I bent a strut , while turning too tight in a small campground, but I bought a new one from Hensley.

I just think they are like a trailer or vehicle wheel....if it's not bent, it's as good as a new one.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased the BD5 for my Sierra 3500 DRW Denali. Can't wait to use it. Pick up the RV next month. I do have a concern perhaps you'nz can help me with. I believe I was told to hook up the 5're and then pump the air bags up until the "mark" is about half way or something to that effect (I'll review before I actually do it). BUT, it there a chance that the 5'er will set down on the bed rails if I don't have enough air to start with?
Old 02-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

How much better if at all is the propride over the Hensley arrow? Just debating on a reconditioned Hensley or a new propride. I can get the reconditioned Hensley about $600 cheaper. Been trying to find a used propride, but they are hard to find.
rtbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I purchased the BD5 for my Sierra 3500 DRW Denali. Can't wait to use it. Pick up the RV next month. I do have a concern perhaps you'nz can help me with. I believe I was told to hook up the 5're and then pump the air bags up until the "mark" is about half way or something to that effect (I'll review before I actually do it). BUT, it there a chance that the 5'er will set down on the bed rails if I don't have enough air to start with?
there is a painted white line you inflate to. completely empty on the airbags no you wont hit the bed. there is a metal stop to prevent this in the hitch.

Hook up, pull the landing gear up so weight is on truck. then air up the hitch to the white line mark.

Nice part is when you get the hitch and pin box adjusted. all you do when unhook is pull in set the jacks on ground. drop the air in the hitch and most times your level. as the truck and trailer are level in tow. Reverse when ya leave as long as site is level.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
there is a painted white line you inflate to. completely empty on the airbags no you wont hit the bed. there is a metal stop to prevent this in the hitch.

Hook up, pull the landing gear up so weight is on truck. then air up the hitch to the white line mark.

Nice part is when you get the hitch and pin box adjusted. all you do when unhook is pull in set the jacks on ground. drop the air in the hitch and most times your level. as the truck and trailer are level in tow. Reverse when ya leave as long as site is level.
Thanks, I didn't mean to hijack the OP's question, but seemed like to best place to ask that question.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #11

There is no reason to let the air out of your hitch . Air it up to 60to 70 lbs . Then hook up. You can the add or subtract air to get it centered. Then leave the air alone only add when needed . Much simpler and quicker .I raise mine until the hitch starts sliding up. I then pull the pin and drive out. Make sure you then pull the spring release so that the hitch handle goes back to 90 degrees. If you have level up just read the angle in degrees and put the trailer at that height when leaving. Great hitch !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
How much better if at all is the propride over the Hensley arrow? Just debating on a reconditioned Hensley or a new propride. I can get the reconditioned Hensley about $600 cheaper. Been trying to find a used propride, but they are hard to find.

I bought the refubished Hensley. I think the price difference instead of new is lack of warranty valued at $ 500.00
Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How much better if at all is the propride over the Hensley arrow?
Jim Hensley developed the Arrow and then marketed it for several years, and ran the company that made and sold them. So he had all the feedback from Arrow owners that noticed little nit-noid problems with the very-expensive Arrow that could be fixed with a relatively simple redesign. So Jim sold the rights to the Arrow and then developed the ProPride that no longer had any of those nit-noid problems of the Arrow design.

If you've never towed with either an Arrow or ProPride, then you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Most folks are so proud of their Arrow that they don't bitch and moan about the nit-noid problems that resulted in the redesigned ProPride. And folks with a ProPride tend to use them "forever", so very few are available on the used market. But a very few used ProPrides are definitely available on the used market. I found mine on Craig's List. It took me several months to find one, but I finally found it and bought it. And no, it's not for sale.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #14

Well I pulled the trigger on a Hensley hitch. Installation went good. After installation went on a short drive to test. About a 15 mile loop with about 4 miles of it on interstate. Was curious to see how it would react when a semi would pass by. Worked as advertised, everything stayed in line. So far so good!