Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVr:
Lynda is great. She was there when I bought my first PR about 15 years ago. I too spent a lot of time with her on the phone when I decided I wanted to "upgrade" to a 90 degree "no drill" model. The TT's GVWR is 10,000 lbs. Loaded, it comes in about 9,400 lbs. I figured I was pushing the 10K rating of the standard PR. Lynda said it would be OK because they overbuilt everything. My only complaint is the painting. Both PRs I've owned went rusty within a year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So far the painting isn't as bad as the paint on the Hensley hitch was. Not only does the paint on the Hensley jump off the hitch just for looking at it funny, the last Hensley bought came with 2 places on the hitch where they'd touched up the paint with a miss-match and the main unit had a bent corner at one of the clevis pin attachment points. Rather pathetic for a new $3000 hitch.

PullRite quit making the 90-degree model so we got the 70-degree version. Since the track for the 70-degree model stops within a couple of inches of the rear tires, the 90-degree model must have the pivot point located behind the rear tires also, rather than practically touching the differential. When I measure our 70-hitch, I find that the pivot point for the 90-degree hitch can be about 80% of the way to the pivot point of the 70-degree hitch. My hunch is that PullRite might have dropped the 90 because it was only partially effective compared to the 70.

Steve Rankin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #16

What makes you think they quit making the 90? I just checked their webpage and the 90 is still there. Having owned both a 70 and a 90, I notice no difference in towing. The pivot point is a few inches further back, but any loss of function is theoretical.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVr:
What makes you think they quit making the 90? I just checked their webpage and the 90 is still there. Having owned both a 70 and a 90, I notice no difference in towing. The pivot point is a few inches further back, but any loss of function is theoretical. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since I tried to special order a 90 and the dealer called me to tell me he couldn't get the 90, I called PullRite & they told me they discontinued it about 2 years ago. I pointed out the 90 was still on the website but that didn't change its availability.

As for the difference being theoretical. It's 11 inches from the pivot point on my 70 to the braces for the end of the arc that just clears the tires. That's 23% of the length of the PullRite tow bar, which IMO moves it out of theoretical into real world. Having owned two Hensley hitches, I can assure you that the difference between when the projected pivot point is ideal and when the hitch is turned about 5 degrees and the pivot point moves a foot or so to the rear is definitely outside of the realm of mere theory.

Additionally, the 90 requires that the pivot point be nearly under the center of the spare tire, eliminating the ability to the spare in it's OE location. Not a minor detail.

Finally, the tow bar on the 90 can be shortened since the pivot is closer to the rear of the truck. However, while it is 11" closer to the rear, it can only be shortened 8" to maintain the same clearance at the corners. As a result, the ball mount is 3" further behind the truck which makes the issues with ground clearance even worse than they are with the 70.

So, while the 90 sounded like the way to go originally, I'm glad that we got the 70.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #18

I have a 90 degree on my truck which is currently in the garage. The spare is in the stock location and I take it out at least once a year to grease the pivot bolt. Just pivot the bar all the way to one side and out slides the spare. The spare tire blocks the removal of the bolt. With the 70 degree, the spare lived in the bed. I didn't find it that big a deal.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #19

I have a 90 degree on my truck which is currently in the garage. The spare is in the stock location and I take it out at least once a year to grease the pivot bolt. Just pivot the bar all the way to one side and out slides the spare. The spare tire blocks the removal of the bolt. With the 70 degree, the spare lived in the bed. I didn't find it that big a deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're able to remove the spare in our 70 degree by swiveling the towbar all the way to one side, but the pivot would have to be right in the center of the spare if it was a 90 degree. As for the spare living in the bed. That would be a major PITA. We frequently use the entire bed of our truck when not traveling for carrying rescued wild animals and assorted gear for that and salmon recovery, not to speak of the usual homeowner building supplies. When were on the road it looks like this and there's no room for a spare in there.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #20

Steve: I think you and I live on different planets. :-). I just got off the phone with Lynda and she told me that the hitches for Burbs and other such utility vehicles are exclusively 70 degree. She stated that full size LB trucks are 90 degree models. As for clearance, on my F-350 I lowered the back end by using shorter blocks and still the hitch system is not even close to having a clearance problem, even with 1,200 lbs of ATVs, generator, tools, etc., etc. It's amazing how different our slices of reality are. I guess that's what makes the world go around.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Folks,

Let's not let this one slide over the edge. Please discuss the topics as thoroughly as you want, but don't let the discussion drift into any namecalling or personal affronts.

Thanks,

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #22

Steve: I think you and I live on different planets. :-). I just got off the phone with Lynda and she told me that the hitches for Burbs and other such utility vehicles are exclusively 70 degree. She stated that full size LB trucks are 90 degree models. As for clearance, on my F-350 I lowered the back end by using shorter blocks and still the hitch system is not even close to having a clearance problem, even with 1,200 lbs of ATVs, generator, tools, etc., etc. It's amazing how different our slices of reality are. I guess that's what makes the world go around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Living up here in the far left corner of the Pacific Northwest is like living on a different planet. Where else can you drive from a prairie that gets less than 6" of rain annually, to a rain forest with 200" to 7000' mountains to the ocean beach without leaving the county?

Clearly, there are significant differences in the PullRite design from one truck to another. When we first investigated the PullRite we had an '04 F350 crewcab SB. As I recall, we'd not only lose the spare tire, but there was welding/cutting required to remove the OEM hitch and install the PullRite. Since the Hensley is completely portable from one TV to another it seemed like a no-brainer to buy the Hensley.

But, since the PullRite is a theoretically simple bolt-on for the Chevy we decided to make the swap to the PullRite. While the hitch does bolt-on quickly and simply, it's the other details that are biting us in the rear end. Once it's all done I'm sure that we'll be very pleased with the results, though.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #23

I used to tow a TT with a Hensley... now have a Class C ...but if I did have a TT and was looking at Hensley Hitches I would give Jim Hensley's new design some serious consideration.. he is no longer with Hensley Hitch and now makes the ProPride 3P Hitch

http://www.propridehitch.com/3P_trai....php?item_id=1

Joe

jerzeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote