Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
BobnGay
We had a 30' Mobile Scout that was no fun to tow at all. Tried everything to get of sway from loading to using a Reese Dual Cam hitch. It wore me out driving. After a trip to Tenn., I said enough, we stay close to home or try the ultimate sway control. Wife said go for it.

I found a used Hensley Arrow at a good price. I installed on the Mobile Scout and no more problems. I could drive relaxed and towing became a joy. When we bought the 35' Avion we own now, it came with a Reese Dual Cam. We towed it home with no problems at all, it worked great with that trailer. BUT, I would not give up the Hensley. We have towed a lot of miles now with the Hensley 1st on the Mobile Scout and now on the Avion and I must say that sway is not a problem, 18 wheelers are not a problem.

Normal maintainance is required, very easy, every now and then replace a worn part and enjoy towing your trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
If you can get a used Hensley for $500, buy it.

You can double your money and sell it for $1000 if you don't like it.

Word of warning, if you try it you won't let it go.

I've towed with a Hensley since 2001. Through all the lower 48 states and 5 Canadian provinces.

Seems the only folks that bash and bad mouth Hensley hitches are those who have never towed with one.

I would not tow a travel trailer any distance without one.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
I concur with Russell. Have moved my Hensley from one trailer to the one we have now. I do not have to be on edge all the time. I am not exhausted when we arrive at our destination. Very easy 1 person hook up and unhook.

Try one and you will keep it. I bought mine used and got a good deal on it.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #18

OK, I seem to keep reading that the Hensley Arrow will need the "occasional" replacement parts sent back but as the parts weigh in at over 100 pounds I am curious what these parts are.

It seems that everyone seems to have a failure but no one talks about what it actually is...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenorie View Post
OK, I seem to keep reading that the Hensley Arrow will need the "occasional" replacement parts sent back but as the parts weigh in at over 100 pounds I am curious what these parts are.

It seems that everyone seems to have a failure but no one talks about what it actually is...
The only parts I've replaced are 4 shear bolts that I bought at the hardware store and 2 u bolts that Hensley shipped to me (I could have bought those at the hardware store too).

I've towed about 75,000 miles with my Hensley.

I sheared 2 bolts in an extreme downhill U turn and had to brake.

The other two shear bolts failed and 2 U bolts bent in an emergency stop. I'm lucky that thise were the only things that gave.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
There is a gulf between a second tier, sway-resisting hitch like the REESE Dual Cam (or even less desirable Equalizer) and a sway-eliminating VPP hitch such as the new generation ProPride (or older, less desirable Hensley Arrow) that words do not bridge.

To say "save your money, these others are almost as good" isn't simply inaccurate. Or advise that only some vehicle combinations would benefit. It represents a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences. The size or type of the trailer or the tow vehicle is irrelevant to this qualitative difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derald1961 View Post
Wow, you said a mouthful without saying a thing
Actually, Rednax has it spot on...
It is conceptually different from the sway 'correction' reactive types and therefore a bit more difficult to see the difference...
I was lucky to get some great advice when I first got my TT and found the pp3 towed the 35' TT better than my loaded utility trailer

why I didn't give it up when I traded the tt for the 5er hoping it would benifit someone else...
Old 08-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
I like others bought a used Hensley Arrow. The only replacement part I required was a pair of grease zerts. I towed a 30 foot Cardinal for six years with a Tahoe & a F250 diesel. Absolutely no sway issues ever. Also as others say, "I won't ever tow a TT without a HA.
MrBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #22

A site that comes in handy.
Largo, FL Trailer Hitch - 5th Wheel Hitch - Trailer Parts