Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Oldie Goldie
Hensley no-sway hitch

We need a Hensley no-sway hitch for our Flagstaff V-Lite but can't afford a new one. We saw a used one advertised for $500, but there is no return. Since we are new to the travel trailer game, we don't want to make a mistake. Any opinions about this?
Oldie Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

Why do you feel you need a Hensley? I observed a guy with one jack around for 2 hours trying to get hitched up. He just about gave up before getting it right. I used a Reese Dual cam system and thought it worked VERY well for the money.
Haulinbass02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #3

Don't know if you NEED a Hensley Arrow, but here is a better, less-expensive option:

www.propridehitch.com

The 3P hitch is an newer design of the older Hensley and works better, I hear. I had a Hensley for 3 years and would not tow a TT without one after using one and comparing to regular weight-distributing hitch. There is a learning curve to hitching up, but not complicated after getting used to it. A used Hensley for $500 is an outright bargain--should sell for $11-1500 easy--just need to know if all parts are there.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The HA is a great hitch and works wonders for marginal tow vehicles. What is your tow vehicle.

A tried and proven hitch and much less than the HA or Propride, is the Reese Dual Cam Straightline.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I have used a HA for the last 5 or 6 years. Would not tow without it. It by far the easiest hitch I have used to hookup or unhook. I purchased mine used.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #6

There is a gulf between a second tier, sway-resisting hitch like the REESE Dual Cam (or even less desirable Equalizer) and a sway-eliminating VPP hitch such as the new generation ProPride (or older, less desirable Hensley Arrow) that words do not bridge.

To say "save your money, these others are almost as good" isn't simply inaccurate. Or advise that only some vehicle combinations would benefit. It represents a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences. The size or type of the trailer or the tow vehicle is irrelevant to this qualitative difference.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #7

We sold our 8 yr old HA for $1000 when we bought our 5th wheel. $500 is a good deal assuming it's in in good condition and all the pieces are there.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax
There is a gulf between a second tier, sway-resisting hitch like the REESE Dual Cam (or even less desirable Equalizer) and a sway-eliminating VPP hitch such as the new generation ProPride (or older, less desirable Hensley Arrow) that words do not bridge.

To say "save your money, these others are almost as good" isn't simply inaccurate. Or advise that only some vehicle combinations would benefit. It represents a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences. The size or type of the trailer or the tow vehicle is irrelevant to this qualitative difference.
Wow, you said a mouthful without saying a thing
derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #9

Having towed a heavy 30'TT with a WD hitch, and then a Hensley, I ditto Rednax's comments. I think I paid $3200 for the Hensley. Worth every penny, and sold it for $2000 when I traded the trailer. I think the ProPride is every bit as good since it is made by a guy who was involved with Hensley and I believe knows what he is doing.
There is a learning curve to hitching up, but I got the hang of it after a couple of times. I would always give up the time to hitch, even it was an hour, just to experience the confidence of sway-free towing that I got from the Hensley.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to BobnGayl
Hensley or ProPride?

We have a 27' Starcraft Alumistar TT with an awful sway problem. We have pulled it thousands of miles over mountains and through storms, but it's not fun. We can load everything in the front, but the problem remains and when we have checked the weights with multiple configurations and the tongue weight is marginal. I believe they designed the trailer with the axles too far forward.

I've looked at the Hensley Arrow for several years but resisted buying one due to the hitching problems I've read about and witnessed, and the cost. I see some say the ProPride product is better. Please give me your reasoning.

I've read both companies web site dialogue and it appears Jim Hensley designed both products and his only connection with the Hensley Arrow company is that he licensed the original design to them. ProPride claims they have his latest and greatest so their product is better. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Also input on hitching issues for both. Thanks.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had no idea what a propride was when we got our Open range TT, but knowing I wanted it to tow the best, I opted for the propride and from the first 50 mile tow home down I-35 in driving rain with semi's passing me @ 75 mph and a cross wind that almost toppled me over when I got out the Excursion... The trailer towed like it wasn't there !!!

The first pic is the combo I started with in Jan of this year...
the second pic is what I have now and
the reason I have saved the propride thus far is in case someone else can use it - worth every penny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex and trailerjpg.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	23335   Click image for larger version

Name:	f250 filling up.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	23336  

Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

My Hensley failed ( as in call a tow truck fail) after only two times of use was told that it was not returnable because it was 60 days after purchase. Well I bought it a month before my new 2012 came in so when it did the hitch was ready and waiting. so the 30 days it sat in a box counted towards return period...

Needless to say, not a huge fan of the Hensley after having to spend an additional $400 to ship back and forth, total investment thus far is over $3,500 in just over 5 months. Had to change a trip to Maine to trip to finger lakes, FYI cool lea camp ground is great...
Kenorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I have towed lots of miles in the last 5 years with my Hensley. I bought mine used and other than replacing a few worn parts, mine has worked flawless. Replacement parts have been very shipped promptly and much less expensive than I would have thought. Their customer service is great even though I bought used and not direct. I have and will continue to recommend the safety of the Hensley hitch.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnGayl View Post
We have a 27' Starcraft Alumistar TT with an awful sway problem. We have pulled it thousands of miles over mountains and through storms, but it's not fun. We can load everything in the front, but the problem remains and when we have checked the weights with multiple configurations and the tongue weight is marginal. I believe they designed the trailer with the axles too far forward.

I've looked at the Hensley Arrow for several years but resisted buying one due to the hitching problems I've read about and witnessed, and the cost. I see some say the ProPride product is better. Please give me your reasoning.

I've read both companies web site dialogue and it appears Jim Hensley designed both products and his only connection with the Hensley Arrow company is that he licensed the original design to them. ProPride claims they have his latest and greatest so their product is better. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Also input on hitching issues for both. Thanks.
I owned a 26' Keystone Cougar that was towed behind a Land Rover LR3. The specs showed that the weights were all well within tolerance for the TV, but the actual towing experience was somewhat different. It was fine on a nice day, but if there was any winds, or large trucks driving by, the experience wasn't so happy for my wife and I. In fact, one long weekend in April there were some freak 90 mph winds that were so stressful to me that I ended up pulling into our spot with a migraine headache; I didn't even setup, just stopped, applied brakes, put in wheel blocks and passed out in the bed.

Since I bought the ProPride 3P hitch, experiences like this are gone. We ended up selling the LR3 and purchasing a Dodge Pickup Truck, but the hitch works just as well. The trailer behaves like it was welded to the frame of the truck. It doesn't try to throw the truck around like it did before. It is a very consistent and worry free experience.

The Arrow might be the older design, but it works on the same basic principle. While I've never towed with one, I can't imagine that it would be anything but amazing too.

Good luck and safe towing!
mirth is offline   Reply With Quote