Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Hensley or ProPride

Which is the BEST hitch set-up between Hensley and ProPride?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, Cummins 6.7L/6 speed auto/3.73's
2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
SlyFox50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
They are very much similar design and function....

I chose the propride 3p when I had my tt and it towed liked a dream...

Wanna buy it ? very good deal but might be too heavy to ship IMHO

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
I went with the Hensley. I did a lot of research on both. They were both designed by the same person Jim Hensley. The Pro Pride has some new design elements over the Hensley and the ability to adjust the height of the stinger. The Hensley uses a welded stinger that has to be swapped out if you change tv or tt and need a different height. Hensley will swap out stingers for free as many times as you want but charge the shipping. The deciding factor for me with the Hensley was it is a Michigan based company, being from Michigan I wanted to support my local economy. I was also able to pick the hitch up at there location as it is only a 45 minute ride from my house. This also allows me to drive to them and exchange stingers if I need to. Either way owners of both swear by them. I have never once thought jeez this was $2300 out the window. By far the best hitch I have ever had.
2003 Trail Lite 7270s
2012 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
scottyJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
I was irked that I bought my HA just a few months before the PP came out. I'd much rather have the improved Jim Hensley design. The tilt feature, alone, makes it worthwhile as with the HA I was unable to achieve FALR on my DODGE truck with 34' TT. I have since purchased an adjustable tilt head from PP to get my combination dialled in. Once changes to TT suspension, wheel/tire size are done, and new truck springs plus a change in hitch receiver height is done then I'll exchange my HA stinger for one of the correct offset. We'll see if the tilt is still needed.

I recommend a change to the DRAWTITE #45299 hitch receiver over the DODGE piece. This replaces the rearmost crossmember and is overrated for nearly any load you'll ever put on your truck (check at etrailer for part number compatibility). You may find this optional, I want no excuses, ever. If I do not go with a REUNEL bumper, then this is the hitch receiver to be installed.

No one with a VPP style hitch ever goes back to the inferior types.

As a truck is an inferior vehicle (too high COG, and crude suspension) consider that the best hitch helps relieve some of the worst of this . . as TT sway is not allowed to happen in the first place with a VPP hitch. Other hitch types just try to resist it.

As it stands, I can do maneuvers that would put any 5'er in the ditch instantly. And do them all day long. Your TT type may be different (this matters), but consider that this is what cancels any perceived 5'er advanage as to hitch type. Of course, one must set it up on a certified, three-segment weight scale as with any WDH.

Anti-sway is good, but proper WD is first and foremost. A 7500# GVWR TT loaded to .85 of capacity will, with WD properly adjusted, still have about 500# TW on the Drive Axle after WD is applied. This takes a bit of time and a number of scale passes to set well, AND to dial in truck tire pressures near-perfectly.

More detail, in this post and links

2004 2WD Dodge 305/555 CTD 6-speed
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling
Hensley Arrow + adjustable tilt head
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Several years ago we towed our 31' TT with our 2000 Ford Excursion from Virginia to the Keys. We took 2 days to make the trip and as luck would have it, we had 20-25 mph winds the entire time. Between the winds and the semis, my hands hurt for the next 3 days from the death grip I had on the wheel for the entire trip. I wasn't looking forward to the trip back!

At the CG I met another owner that had a 29' TT and towed with the same vehicle. That was the first time I had seen a Hensley. After a long conversation about how it work, he proclaimed that he wished it should be standard on all TT's.

After returning home I started doing some research. That's when I came across Pro Pride. I can't remember exactly why I decided on it but< i don't regret the choice at all. After receiving it, I immediately began the installation. I found the instructions to be just a bit lacking but, as advertised, I was able to call Pro Pride anytime. It was Sunday, and the owner answered the phone and walked me through the difficulty I was having.

Now, I can run 65-70 mph in between 2 tractor-trailers and one-hand the wheel - seriously! One thing you have to make sure of is that your trailer brakes are set correctly. If they are too light and you have to brake abruptly, the hitch will try and go to one side or the other and you will feel a serious "thud". you will have to check the hitch and perhaps, unhook from the tow vehicle to get it straightened back out. I have to assume this would hold true for the Hensley as well.

The other downside is if you have to leave your rig at a repair facility. Most are not familiar with these hitches, and they just can't use there normal tow vehicle to move the rig. Just keep that in mind.

I don't know about the 3P hitches as I have never seen a used one for sale but, you can find used Hensleys for sale on the internet and I think Hensleys even sells some refurbished units.

BTW, both carry a lifetime warranty.....
2015 Winnebago Destination 36RL
2002 Ford F350 XLT Sport, 7.3L PSD Dually
Campnfools is offline   Reply With Quote