Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Hitch height issues with Reese weight distribution

I have a 01 YUKON with slightly larger than stock tires my ride height is about 1"-2" higher than stock, it has the Nivomat self leveling shocks that work as they should, but the hitch I have will hit when even the slightest dip and drags when I hook up until the shocks level ( I still have issues with the height even then, is it safe to invert the hitch??? It seems to be designed for a truck with a much higher bumper height! It's a Reese Click image for larger version

Name:	1506118121967.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	556.4 KB
ID:	177470Click image for larger version

Name:	1506118166477.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	177471Click image for larger version

Name:	1506118186348.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	177472Click image for larger version

Name:	1506118217650.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	177473 the ride height as you can see is great any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

I don't want to trim the bottom of the L and don't know if it's safe to invert to get the part that drags pointing up?

Old 09-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

If that's the height you need, inverting the hitch will send The ball up 4 more inchs. Otherwise there will be no place for the lower bolt.

Find one with less bar or cut it off.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by renhcir View Post
....is it safe to invert the hitch??? It seems to be designed for a truck with a much higher bumper height! It's a Reese ...
What you are calling the hitch is actually the adjustable shank, the ball mount and the ball. The shank can be turned over to result in either a rise or a drop of the ball mount.

I suspect your shank is very close to the same specs as this one:

Reese - Weight Distributing Shank

You don't simply invert the hitch, instead you take it apart. Then you'll recognize the adjustable shank, the ball mount, and the ball.

Turn over the shank so it sticks up instead of down when inserted into the receiver.

Install the ball mount on the shank so the ball will be about the same height in relation to the receiver opening as it is now. Then tighten it all up per the torque specs.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #5

Thanks by invert I meant turning the shank upside down (i didn't know what they called it till now I was afraid the welded brace might not work as well if the stress on the ball was pulling on the brace(wedge in tbe L of the shank) I have another cheep system but it doesn't have that Triangle welded into the shank the instructions don't say if it can be turned around. My TT is on the Heavy side right at the TV limit (i know it's not a good thing I only move it short distances less than 40 miles at a time) I'm working on a 3/4 or 1 ton TV, but Thanks for this information now I have to find someone with a air compressor to get this thing apart I can't get it with a breaker bar.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
What you are calling the hitch is actually the adjustable shank, the ball mount and the ball. The shank can be turned over to result in either a rise or a drop of the ball mount.

I suspect your shank is very close to the same specs as this one:

Reese - Weight Distributing Shank

You don't simply invert the hitch, instead you take it apart. Then you'll recognize the adjustable shank, the ball mount, and the ball.

Turn over the shank so it sticks up instead of down when inserted into the receiver.

Install the ball mount on the shank so the ball will be about the same height in relation to the receiver opening as it is now. Then tighten it all up per the torque specs.
The only thing I see different between my shank and the one in the link is the size of the triangle brace mine is a lot larger and might hit the plastic on my bumper once I flip it?? I might have to buy a shank like the one you pointed out?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If that's the height you need, inverting the hitch will send The ball up 4 more inchs. Otherwise there will be no place for the lower bolt.

Find one with less bar or cut it off.
Your right I didn't catch that until now I guess I have to get another one with less of a drop. Because when I wear out the front tires o wanted to get the correct size and it will drop the TV a little my speedometer is 2.5 mph lower than my actual speed because of the tires.

Tags
weight

« GCWR | Pin Box Move »